Skipjack 24 Open Restoration Project

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

Skipjack 24 Open Restoration Project

Postby gringo sushi » November 11th, 2016, 9:35 am

About 5-6 years ago my brother wanted to get into a new boat to enjoy with his kids and enlisted me as a sherpa to help pick it out, set it up, and enjoy using it with. We ended up with a Farallon 28' Whaleback with full pilot house. At the time I had a Skipjack 24 Open with a diesel. I really loved that boat except for windy crossings when I'd get blasted in the face with spray so the pilot house was a great new feature to have.

After working out what seemed like more than our fair share of new boat kinks I was finally able to start putting the Farallon to good use and had many great trips with good buddies. Meanwhile, my Skipjack just sat. I had always planned to get rid of it but never could bring myself to following through with selling it.

Fast forward to now...Unfortunately my brother never really used the boat. He tried getting his kids out several times but they all had problems with getting sea sick that made it just miserable for them. After years of the expenses and no use it only made sense for him to get out of it. Given the option to continue using the boat and assume the expenses of slip, maintenance, etc, I decided to pass on my brother's super generous offer and get into my next boat preferring something that is trailerable and more sensible on monthly cash burn. So the Farallon is now for sale.

Fortunately I had recently finished up two boat projects so I am not off the water;
-A 14 ft aluminum skiff that Scotty D and I keep in the water at King Harbor and
-A 14 ft Livingston on trailer that I consider to be my "mini-superboat". I've had this little rig out to Clemente, the 43 from Dana and numerous trips to cat and still can't believe how seaworthy a boat of this size could be. Only problem is it is not really Overnight Island trip material. I have set out for a couple of overnighters but chickened out each time.

So with the Farallon out of play I set out to find my ideal boat:
-not too big but not too small
-towable with my wife’s V8 SUV so that I don’t have to buy a truck
-pilot house for sure
-range and seaworthy enough to make it to Cortez Bank
-super reliable, and on and on…

With a reasonable budget and ready to buy I looked high and low, long and hard but couldn’t find anything that I could get excited about. Then after a conversation with my buddy Scotty (and maybe a few beers enough to help me make a foolish decision) I decided to make my Skipjack 24 Open into the boat of my dreams.

Telling my buddy Woody about this crazy plan to strip this boat to nothing and build it fresh from the hull up (did I mention that all of the stringers and bulkheads are rotted out), he tells me that I should start a post on the project and update it as I go. Great Idea Woody!

So here begins the project that will inevitably take more time and money than I ever expected and will hopefully actually be finished some day:

Here is the best “before” photo that I could find, a shot of her on the way to my brothers shop to pull the diesel and tee top:
Last edited by gringo sushi on November 21st, 2016, 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Re: Skipjack 24 Open Restoration Project

Postby gringo sushi » November 11th, 2016, 9:49 am

Past the point of no return.

She looks naked without the tee top and engine.

And what a beast that diesel was! I'll be replacing it with a V8 that will weigh nearly half as much

Thanks to craigslist the old diesel is already sold =)
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Bamz » November 11th, 2016, 4:02 pm

Looking forward to following the thread Todd! Take LOTS of pictures!! There are a few restore threads on BD that are really cool. I know a lot of work goes into the boat and it's tough to find the time to write it up here too, but it would be an awesome winter thread!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby gringo sushi » November 11th, 2016, 6:35 pm

Bamz wrote:Looking forward to following the thread Todd! Take LOTS of pictures!! There are a few restore threads on BD that are really cool. I know a lot of work goes into the boat and it's tough to find the time to write it up here too, but it would be an awesome winter thread!

Thanks Scott, will do.

I did quite a bit of homework on the web before jumping in. One BD write up on a 24 Open Pilot House project helped to push me over the edge:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/thread ... ct.253026/
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » November 12th, 2016, 11:07 am

The Donor Boat:

I set out to find a donor boat in hopes of getting a usable outdrive, bell housing, etc and just maybe a rebuildable engine. Landed this 1970 Skipjack Flybridge that had been sitting in the sun for years out in Hisperia for super cheap. Everything but the engine, outdrive and trailer was completely roached...just what I was looking for.

I turned the two boys loose with cordless drivers to harvest a few pounds of stainless hardware and pull any small stuff that was reusable. Pulled the Volvo 290 DP outdrive that looks to be in decent shape and started the motor one last time before prepping to pull it.

I needed a gantry to pull the engine and decided to build it from wood. On my way out the door to buy materials I called a friend who happens to be a structural engineer to make sure I had enough timber to cover the 10 foot span between supports. Turned out that I was figuring way overkill and in addition to costing more time and money to assemble, it would have been near impossible to erect with the extra weight. I did the beam with 2) 2X8’s rather than 3) 2X10”s and it was more than strong enough.

I bought some goodies at Harbor Freight (2 ton chain lift-$70, load leveler-$28 and 1/2 ton engine stand-$60). Surprised how cheap this stuff was. The chain lift worked great (I barely got to use it cuz my 7 year old did all of the chain pulling). The load leveler was a must have. The engine stand also worked great.

The motor was in decent shape but unfortunately it ends up being a 2 bolt main rather than 4 (thanks to Scotty and Donny for talking me through figuring that out) so I won't be using it. That helped me to decide to just bite the bullet and get a new 350 Vortec set up from the factory with water cooling and efi. I'll be selling to the old one but not before I use it as a fit test dummy for setting up motor mounts and engine compartment dims.
Last edited by gringo sushi on January 12th, 2017, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » November 13th, 2016, 7:11 am

Demo Time:
With the donor boat stripped of everything I started into the demolition work so that I could use the donor as a dumpster and take it all to the dump in one go.

A skill saw and sawzall made quick work of the deck. The remaining stringers were like hollow shells with loose wood pieces inside

A metal cutting disc on an angle grinder worked great to cut the glass at base of stringers like butter. This is a mulch pile of rotten wood left in the bottom of the boat when I pulled the stringers out. Unfortunately there were a number of places where the stringers and bulk heads trapped water rather that allowing it to drain which was the likely cause of the rot. The new structure will have drain cutouts so this won't happen again

Almost all cleaned up except for finish grinding/sanding to prep for new structure glass up

Here’s the donor boat fully loaded and on its way out to the dump (wishing I would have taken a pic of it on the dirt at the dump, it was quite a sight)

And an empty galvanized trailer up for sale on Craig’s List
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby woody » November 19th, 2016, 12:29 pm

That boat is going to be a work Horse ! I've had some good times on that skip jack . I'm coming over to help soon
woody
kook

Postby chris oak » November 19th, 2016, 2:55 pm

YOU SOLD THE FARALLON???? That was one of the bitchinist boats I've ever been on. I love seeing rebuilds, I can't wait to see what your progress looks like Todd. That donor boat didn't look too bad either.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby gringo sushi » December 5th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Sold the trailer from donor boat and made room to pull my trailer out from under the boat and work on the bottom side. Boat will never be lighter than now so best to take care of it now.

My younger boy started in on sanding before getting it off the trailer, he's the perfect height for that job:

Blocked the rear and hung the bow from the gantry and pulled the trailer out from under her:

Prepping the bottom for fresh paint taking waaaay longer than I'd planned. Hours with a palm sander didn't accomplish much. Chemical strip (only I could find that was safe for use on fiberglass) was useless. Finally ran to Harbor Freight for a 6" random orbital polisher/sander with 60 grit and that is getting the job done (but still a lot of work). An inch by inch game but slow and steady progress for the effort.

Hoping to get the bottom painted and back on trailer by the end of this weekend.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby John Hughes » December 8th, 2016, 12:04 pm

damn Todd, you're going crazy on that thing! I'll have a new respect for that boat when you get it up and gunning again. Keep the photos coming.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby gringo sushi » December 16th, 2016, 11:02 pm

Thanks John

I finally got the grueling job done of sanding the bottom clean down to gel coat. Never want to do that again. Took advantage of two semi-sunny days before the rain to get the bottom painted. (Oops, photo upside down)

Once the rain hit all I could do was prep components that needed cleaned and organized. The "boat shop" as my kids call it has worked out great to create a space for all of this type of work

With lots of planning done and supplies procured I'm hoping that this thing will get moving a little faster. Still second guessing the wisdom of taking this on vs buying what I wanted but too late to turn back now.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » December 24th, 2016, 1:05 pm

I took the Volvo 290 duoprop outdrive from the donor boat to Ryan Boats to have it opened up and gone through. I've been holding my breath in hopes that it would be usable. So a Merry Christmas it is! They finished putting it all together and gave it a clean bill of health. I just have to rebuild the hydraulic trim actuators and paint things up and the drive system is ready for installation.

After selling off the trailer and a few other items from the donor boat I ended up with the outdrive and some other goodies for free (less my time of course).

The rain has pushed me into the garage so I have been making headway fixing up/cleaning up lots of ancillary items so that they will be ready when the time comes for final assembly.

Only a few more hours of grinding old glass out before she is ready to start getting put back together. I'll be glad to be done with that and hang up the tyvek suit and respirator for a while.

I finally have all of my wood and glassing supplies on hand so am hoping to make some good headway on glassing up stringers and bulkheads this next week if it stays clear.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!!!
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby John Hughes » December 24th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Merry Christmas Todd! I'm glad the outdrive worked out for you.

Keep the progress photos coming!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » December 24th, 2016, 9:09 pm

i love this thread. whats your estimated finish date todd?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby gringo sushi » December 26th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Thanks John

Chris, I'm hoping to have it ready in time to take the family to the Neptunes family campout in July.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » December 26th, 2016, 11:50 pm

Great thread Todd! It looks like you are doin it right!
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » January 12th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Thanks Lou

I guess this rain makes for a good opportunity to update what feels like very slow progress for a lot of hours of work.

After days of grinding (oh how I love my respirator, goggles and tyvek suit) she is fully stripped down.

The one piece of wood that wasn't fully rotted was a bulkhead. It ended up focusing a lot of pressure on the bottom that cracked both chines and all four strakes (2 were cracked all the way through and repaired on the outside when I painted the bottom). It looked like if I had used it much longer that it would have opened right up. Got that all patched up.

Also had to excavate some bad wood and delaminated glass on the transom.

I used a handy trick I found at YouTube university to create a pattern to trace onto the plywood. I ripped kiln dried wood into about 1/8 x 1/2 inch strips, cut them with dikes and glue with a glue gun to make a stencil that can be used to trace onto plywood. Wish I had learned this one a long time ago.

Laid up and clamped up the first of two 3/4 ply layers to repair transom and made stencil for second layer.
Last edited by gringo sushi on January 22nd, 2017, 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » January 12th, 2017, 12:53 pm

This trick is going to come in real handy. While the transom was setting up I moved on to the anchor locker. It was too shallow and the line used to back up the windlass and had no drain so I cut the bottom out to put a new bottom in that slants forward.

I took advantage of a break in the rain to glass in the side supports for the floor. These will be the reference point that everything else will be built from so took some extra time to be sure and get this right. Also got the transom finished up and fit properly to the outdrive shield.

With unrelenting rain I had to find some inside tasks to make headway on so tore down the hydraulic trim cylinders to find that they were in good enough condition to rebuild with a seal kit (that saves me nearly a grand, stoked!). Moved on to painting the outdrive parts with the help of a portable space heater to keep the boat shop warm and dry.

I keep telling myself that now the tear down is done that the building up will move along much quicker. Whatever it takes to stay motivated I guess...

Sorry again for the upside down photos. I'll have to figure out how to fix that for future posts :confusion-shrug:
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Will » January 12th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Awesome Todd. Looks great.
Might not seem like you are making progress from your perspective. But from the outside looking in your are getting a ton done.
Will
polespearo

Postby Westbury » January 12th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Great job on the rebuild!
I've seen that trick with the strips of wood done by counter top guys for jobs that aren't square.
Westbury
kook

Postby gringo sushi » January 18th, 2017, 7:22 pm

More Rain? I know its great for the drought but it sure makes working on the boat a lot tougher.

Since last update I took on building the outside stringers figuring that they are less critical than the main/center and knowing that I will learn a trick or two that will benefit the mains.

Back to the sticks and glue trick, I made a template to match the contour of the hull

Traced it out to create the new stringers from two pieces of 3/4" marine ply

Then laminated the two plys together with resin and cloth between

First stringer bedded into place on the hull and piles of fiberglass ready to layup with resin

Stringers glassed up with half of the glass plys in time to be sealed up in time for the rain forecasted for this evening.

Once the sun returns I'll be putting another 4 layers of cloth and mat and then move on to the same process to create the main stringers. Thanks for the positive comments and encouragement and stay dry.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Bamz » January 18th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Looks great Todd!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby woody » January 27th, 2017, 12:10 am

This boat is going to a work horse , I've had some great times on that SKip jack . I've got to get ove there and help out
woody
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » February 12th, 2017, 9:46 pm

It's really looking good Todd!
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby John Hughes » February 14th, 2017, 5:25 am

I'm amazed Todd. You are one talented and motivated guy. I'm definitely going to have a new respect for that rig next time we are putting blood on the deck.

Keep up the strong work.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby gringo sushi » March 9th, 2017, 11:38 pm

It's hard to believe that it was mid January when I posted about finishing the outside stringers. Since then I have put in more than a few full days building and installing the main stringers. It proved to be much more of a task than I imagined but it is finally DONE!

They were made with two layers of 3/4 marine plywood laminated together with fiberglass cloth and resin. Finished stringers ready to install:

Woody came over to help me heft these things into the hull and to bed them into place with thickened resin:

And the finished stringers with 8 plys of alternating mat and cloth:

Now it is on to the floors and bulkheads.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby rhyne » March 10th, 2017, 8:02 am

Bad ass man. this is one hell of a project. lookin forward to seeing her when she's done.
rhyne
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » April 1st, 2017, 12:37 am

A lot of full days on the boat since the last update but it is finally starting to feel like the needle is moving.

Glassed up and installed bulkheads and platforms for two 15 gal water tanks and two 17 gal aux fuel tanks

Stumbled onto a great trick for maximizing resin working time and then speeding up drying. I used a 4x8 trailer as my working surface and parked it in the shade to do the glass work then when all done moved it into the sun. Big time saver!

Made up some shelves for the cabin

Cabin Floor Structure

Fitted cabin plywood covers then turned the family loose with jumbo sharpies to graffiti it up before painting. This was great to get the kids in on the project. They relished the idea of having thier art work hidden beneath the paint

Cabin painted up and done except for trim to be fitted around edges of headliner
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » April 1st, 2017, 12:44 am

continued

230 Quart Fish hold with 4 inches of insulation on all sides before final glass up of plywood liner panels

Finished up the floor supports and fuel tank compartment. Fuel tank is on order and should come in around 155 gal

Pilot house floor panels cut

With the floor in place I can finally start working on the pilot house, yay!
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » April 1st, 2017, 9:08 am

Todd I have a 12 V compact reefer unit you can have if you want. I can bring it to the next meeting. You would just need the cold plate.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Bamz » April 1st, 2017, 9:31 am

Progress looks great Todd!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » April 1st, 2017, 8:15 pm

Wow Todd! Just Wow!
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » April 2nd, 2017, 6:20 am

Donzi Paul wrote:Todd I have a 12 V compact reefer unit you can have if you want. I can bring it to the next meeting. You would just need the cold plate.

Cheers, Don

That would be great Don, Thanks! I've been trying to design it to avoid having coolers taking up floor space and could use one. I'll be at the meeting this wed.

i almost bought one on crags list from a guy that ran his using two small solar panels and that got me thinking about putting one or two on top of the pilot house if the batteries and high output alternator can't keep up with the fridge.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby chris oak » April 2nd, 2017, 9:56 am

That's awesome Todd, are you going with windows forward or windows back on the pilot house?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » April 2nd, 2017, 5:18 pm

gringo sushi wrote:
Donzi Paul wrote:Todd I have a 12 V compact reefer unit you can have if you want. I can bring it to the next meeting. You would just need the cold plate.

Cheers, Don

That would be great Don, Thanks! I've been trying to design it to avoid having coolers taking up floor space and could use one. I'll be at the meeting this wed.

i almost bought one on crags list from a guy that ran his using two small solar panels and that got me thinking about putting one or two on top of the pilot house if the batteries and high output alternator can't keep up with the fridge.

Great..see ya there.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby SpearoIvan » April 3rd, 2017, 6:49 pm

Looks so good Todd
Ivan

Long Beach Neptune
SpearoIvan
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » April 4th, 2017, 9:16 am

chris oak wrote:That's awesome Todd, are you going with windows forward or windows back on the pilot house?

I like the look of windows forward but probably need to have them back to keep the PH from being too massive. From the pad that the windshield was mounted to the back wall will be almost 9 ft so having a roof hanging forward of that may look funky. I'm keeping an open mind until I get a stick and glue gun model made up that I like the look of.

On a windows back design I like the lines of what Scottywotty did on his old 20" skippy:

For a windows forward design I could do with something like this as I'm more about simple, functional and sturdy over looking spiffy (I'm not trying to pick up chicks with this ride, haha):

Id rather do the front in one piece than two just to keep the build more simple but the advantages of coming off the windshield mount swept back and windows on top swept forward may be worth the extra work/complexity as long as I have confidence that it is just as strong. I want to feel comfortable having someone on top of the PH for spotting.

Something like this but with more window and less base:

I'm taking all of the advice I can get cuz I'm only doing this once so if anyone has first hand experience with building a PH, especially with the forward&back combo design I'd love the share

Thanks
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby rhyne » April 4th, 2017, 3:14 pm

i'm liking the red/white #2. seems like it'd give the most room up top & the most coverage inside from the weather, while still giving plenty of deck space.
rhyne
spearo

Postby Bamz » April 4th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Hey Todd I'm pretty sure I told you about a certain boat manufacturer that makes a pilot house for your boat. Here it is just for ideas.
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby gringo sushi » April 4th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Bamz wrote:Hey Todd I'm pretty sure I told you about a certain boat manufacturer that makes a pilot house for your boat. Here it is just for ideas.
Skipopotomous.jpg

Thx Scott,

That is a clean looking PH. For better or worse I'm now all in on the DIY plan with materials bought and the lions share of the budget slated for the new motor. Got a start on the stick and glue gun model today and feeling good about where its going. The biggest worry that I have at this point with PH is where to source/lead time on the windows.

Steering components to convert to hydraulic came in today and fits just right. Super stoked :greetings-clappingorange: It's finally feeling like it might actually all come together.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » April 11th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Since the last update I glassed up both sides of the pilot house floor boards and started on the pilot house.

I had planned to do a sand texture for non slip on the pilot house floor panels but my wife really liked the crosshatch pattern of glass cloth over mat so I'm gonna skip a few steps and gel coat it as is. That will save me some time, shave a few pounds and make her happy ;)

Next order of business was to get started on the pilot house.

I started with the base that will mount onto the boat. I then made a glue gun and stick wire frame to get the general shape of it set. Called the wife out a few times to make sure that I was not offending any "rule of thirds" basics.

I then started on building the 2x2 frame within my wire frame. Made a piece for one side and then copied it for the opposite side to assure that everything is symmetrical. I finished up the framing of it today and paid the kids a few bucks each to gather up all of the trash and clean wood scraps to make a marshmallow roasting fire. They did a stellar clean up job.

The cross bracing is temporary to hold things in place until I get the shear support that will come from the 1/4" plywood skin. Top will be 1/2 ply.

Once I get all of the joints glassed up so that they can't move I'll then pull it off to do the rest of the work at ground level. That will also enable me to continue working on other parts of the boat w/o the PH in the way.

I'm hoping for the main fuel tank to be ready to pick up by the end of this week. Once that is installed I can finish the deck floor area, make deck hatches and gel coat deck surfaces and below. Today I also got out 4 requests for quote for the pilot house windows.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby rhyne » April 12th, 2017, 6:56 am

Bravo... what an awesome project. must feel great to see how far its come.
rhyne
spearo

Postby John Hughes » April 22nd, 2017, 6:52 pm

you've got mad skills Todd. Looking great bro and that's a tremendous amount of work solo so far!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby gringo sushi » April 25th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Time for another photo update to the project.

Pilot House frame covered on sides with 1/4 ply:

Window holes cut (undersize by 2" on all sides). Also finalized window dimensions and got those on order, 7 weeks until delivery:

Put the roof on and got some help removing clamp screws from one of the little ones:

PH wood work completed and ready to start glassing up the exterior. Interior has already been glassed.

Took delivery of the fuel tank (166 gal) and gave it a coat of zinc chromate. Had to play with levers and wedges to get it into boat solo

Tank in final position. This was a bottleneck that will now enable me to resume working on the deck portion of the floor.

The motor is on order (4 weeks) and most everything else is on hand so am able to work in any number of directions with as much time as I can throw at it for now.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby chris oak » April 27th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Man Todd, after I retire your build is going to give me some confidence to build a small pilothouse for Gigas.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby woody » April 28th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Nothings going to be the sickest skipjack ever bravo Todd
woody
kook

Postby gringo sushi » May 1st, 2017, 6:03 am

chris oak wrote:Man Todd, after I retire your build is going to give me some confidence to build a small pilothouse for Gigas.

Thanks Chris. Don't hesitate to hit me up for any help I can offer with planning/design/process when that time comes. These projects always leave you knowing what you wish you had known when you started. If I had an identical project lined up to do once this is done it would probably take half the time. I have also been very fortunate to get a lot of advice from Ernie at Ryan boats.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby John Hughes » June 1st, 2017, 4:57 am

Unbelievable Todd!! I can't imagine the sense of pride you're going to have when you start getting some blood on the deck! Great job bro.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby gringo sushi » June 1st, 2017, 9:29 am

Thanks for the kind words John!

Hard to believe that it has been over a month since I last updated progress.

Yesterday I completed a major milestone in finishing glass work on the pilot house, back walls, back door and interior furniture. I'm now in the process of fitting it all together and screwing/bolting up a dry fit of all of these components before gel coating (inside) and painting (outside) so that when done it will assemble with out damaging the finish.

Pilot house up on gantry and ready to back boat under. I had to perch it up on two cinder blocks to get the needed clearance which seemed sketchy at the time but turned out to be pretty darn sturdy.

Such a relief that the contour of the pilot house fit the boat. The night before I repeatedly woke from nightmares that the frame had twisted after fitting it to the hull and that the whole thing would be scrap.

One of the more underestimated tasks of this project was fitting the pilot house with back walls and sliding door:
Before Glass:

After Glass:

Interior consists of a bench seat that will double as a bed with backrest cushion removed on the port side:

And on the starboard side a cabinet with captain chair platform, slots for refrigerator, microwave and shelf on top for coffee maker and whatever else:

Both the engine and pilot house windows are running late but so am I so it is not slowing me down any at this point. Engine is supposed to arrive this week or early next. Vendor for PH windows hasn't given an update yet but considering all that I still need to do before needing them it should work out just fine.

I also have one upholstery quote in and another due in today.

I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Bamz » June 2nd, 2017, 11:22 am

I like the sliding door Todd! Keep the updates coming!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Next

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself