The Best Gun Rack

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

The Best Gun Rack

Postby castronova » November 28th, 2016, 5:53 am

... at least in my opinion this is the best gun rack. A guy I know down here came up with the idea and has made a few and sold them. It's very simple in principal. The best part about it is it does not try and perfectly hold the gun like a standard rack. One of the issues with slotted or fixed gun racks is they only fit a small number guns (or gun shapes). They usually don't hold any bluewater guns and our Abellans certainly do not fit.

Another problem with most gun racks is they point straight up. The biggest reason I like this is because it's perfect for loaded guns as they point out and to the side at all times. Mine is the holder shown empty, my friends is the one behind me with the grouper. Is is set a little taller than mine, my guns will angle out a little more. They are easy to adjust though. I still need to buy and install a 0 degree rod holder for mine.

Last edited by castronova on November 28th, 2016, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
castronova
prick

Re: The Best Gun Rack

Postby Freeryde » November 28th, 2016, 7:03 am

The pics didn't show up!
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby castronova » November 28th, 2016, 7:35 am

I can see them on my computer but not on my phone. Maybe these will work uploaded instead of hosted.
Attachments
castronova
prick

Postby NaClAddict » November 28th, 2016, 9:16 am

Ingenious! I like it. DIY,easily removable.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby castronova » November 28th, 2016, 10:22 am

I should mention myself and a couple other boat owners down here have been using them for at least a year or so. They work good in real world use, nothing negative to speak or anything I would change.
castronova
prick

Postby Freeryde » November 28th, 2016, 8:23 pm

Way to sneak in a pic of a nice black! ;)
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Freeryde » November 28th, 2016, 8:25 pm

I like the rack idea but what keeps the butt of the gun from creeping around on the deck while you are running?
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 28th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Freeryde wrote:I like the rack idea but what keeps the butt of the gun from creeping around on the deck while you are running?

I wondered the same thing?

And BTW, I widened a couple of slots in my Spearfishing Specialties rack to take the Abellan handles.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby castronova » November 29th, 2016, 8:17 am

The butt pad does. The three I know are being used by me/friends are on a 28 Contender, 35 Contender, and 34 Fountain and the guns to do not slide out on them, at least not that I've noticed. But we start with them at an angle to begin with because most the time the guns are loaded and we want them facing out. If they don't slide out on our boats with how we run them I don't think they will slide out on any others. The bungee keeps them really tight. This one in the photo is pretty high so the guns are a little more upright. In my boat I keep the guns in the 45 - 60 range.
castronova
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 29th, 2016, 4:34 pm

It seems that someone (maybe spearq8 or Behslayer?) has said that the small ID bands stretched to high ratios as they are in the Abbelan guns bleed off power fairly quickly when loaded. Since you leave the guns cocked in the boat, does this mean that you aren't too concerned about that?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby castronova » November 29th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:It seems that someone (maybe spearq8 or Behslayer?) has said that the small ID bands stretched to high ratios as they are in the Abbelan guns bleed off power fairly quickly when loaded. Since you leave the guns cocked in the boat, does this mean that you aren't too concerned about that?

Not concerned at all. We shoot enough they won't stay for too long. If I go over an hour or so, or multiple drifts without firing I may unload them, let them sit for a minute then reload when I jump back in. But we move way too fast, drift diving over reefs, and getting back in to be reloading all day. Even if I knew the amount of loss I wouldn't change anything. If when I get in the boat I had to pull anchor and wave in guys who had to swim over, etc. I wouldn't keep the guns loaded.
castronova
prick

Postby Alex Ray » November 29th, 2016, 7:48 pm

castronova wrote:Not concerned at all. We shoot enough they won't stay for too long.

Haha such a wonderfully smug statement. If only the same were true of seabass...but then again, the misery is what makes them great.

Back on topic, I like the simple functionality of your rack. I'd give it a try, but I'd be worried about excessive jostling in sloppy seas in my little 18'er.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby castronova » November 30th, 2016, 4:14 am

Alex Ray wrote:
castronova wrote:Not concerned at all. We shoot enough they won't stay for too long.

Haha such a wonderfully smug statement. If only the same were true of seabass...but then again, the misery is what makes them great.

Back on topic, I like the simple functionality of your rack. I'd give it a try, but I'd be worried about excessive jostling in sloppy seas in my little 18'er.

Haha, well I didn't really mean it like that. I just know the difference between the diving here and diving on the west coast. There are certainly times when some of you guys are shooting a whole lot more than us on a given day. But on average I think we just get a lot more chances on different species.

I'm gonna have to take some video of these things in the slop. I think you'd be surprised. Take a look at the small Andre in the photo. It's literally hanging in the air by the bungee, not touching the ground. It stayed like that all day.
castronova
prick

Postby Kwtony » November 30th, 2016, 5:25 pm

My only change was to have the knot side up, so that you could have something to grab ahold of when you are lashing it down or removing it. Thanks for sharing JP

Kwtony
spearo

Postby castronova » December 3rd, 2016, 12:05 pm

Looks good Tony.
castronova
prick

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself