DIY Coil Lanyard

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

DIY Coil Lanyard

Postby Kwtony » December 26th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Okay, so after loosing my 2nd modified gopro, i have vowed that it will always have a lanyard if its not attached to a gun. Ive been wanting to make a few of these for a while now and here is a quick, super cheap way to make a coil lanyard any length and color and exactly how you want it.

All you need are a few basic supplies that almost everyone has in their house already.

550 cord (any color)
300lb mono filament
band tying line
some random extra cord or zip ties will work
small spear shaft, stick, fiberglass pole, rod ....whatever
tall cooking pot

First and foremost youll want to figure out how long you need this. Youll want to really get your exact length and then add a little more, because after it coils it will shorten it slightly. And you dont really want to hyperextend or it can loose its memory and get twisted up like a phone cord. After cutting the 550 cord longer then the lenght i needed i then started to pull out the small cord inside the outer sleeve

If you are making one of considerable length id suggest coaxing it inside line out one way and tying the other end of the cord to a door handle or nail in the wall to give you support to pull the line out.
Id also start by just trying to pull one string out first, then two more, then the rest. Trying to pull them all out is kind of difficult if its over a few feet long.
Once youve gotten all the inside line out youll be left with two piles
and
Toss the white stuff away and then cut a piece of mono the a foot or two longer then the 500 sleeve.

Then what you want to do is thread the mono inside the sleeve all the way through. Its stiff enough to not have any issues going through. I made one over 6 feet and just pushed it through just fine.
Once its in one end and out the other youll have this

Get your spear and tie one end down like this
You can use zip tie or a constrictor knot like i did. Make sure its nice and tight.
Then what you want to do is wrap the sleeve/mono around the shaft is nice tight coils like this Image
Once youve gotten all the line wrapped around youll want to tie the other end the same way as the first

After that, youll need a large TALL pot that you can completely submerge all the coil.

Let that bad boy boil for about 20 minuets and then hit it with cold water after you take it out.

Once you are done with that get the ends, make a larger loop and use the line tying string to make a bunch of overhand knots till you get it good and tight. Add a few drops of suer glue and put some heat shrink over it and itll look nice and clean. At your favorite clip or ring and VIOLA !!

I needed about three of these and after pricing them at diver direct i was looking at over 40 dollars. I spent about 4 doing this...and thats including the price of one beer.
Kwtony
spearo

Re: DIY Coil Lanyard

Postby chris oak » December 26th, 2016, 1:18 pm

That's awesome Tony, your's is stronger than mine but I got you beat on the price.

I pick up old school telephone cords from the 99 cent store, then cut them in two because they are so long. I use constrictor knots on both ends to make loops and then attach a quick release clip on one end and whatever else on the other.

I'll take a few pix in a bit but I use these on my night dive bug lights, paddle holders etc. They won't be as strong as Tony's as his is full rigged with mono, but I can build mine in about two minutes at a cost of fifty cents each :). I will sell them to our members at the money saving price of 35$ ;).
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Rob102 » December 26th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Nice! I can't wait to make these.
Rob102
spearo

Postby Kwtony » December 26th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Bahahaha, I do buy bulk mono at .05 cents each ,100 feet of 550 cord for 4.50 and 100 crimp for 8 bucks...and i can still tow a body behind the boat with mine ;) Ill sell mine for only 34.99 with free shipping. You can have any choice of colors, just as long as its pink.
Kwtony
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » December 26th, 2016, 6:52 pm

A couple quick passes with a plumbers torch will cut the boiling time down to about a minute. I like to use discarded surfboard leashes I find on the beach. Same method but using electrical tape instead of constrictors.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby Kwtony » December 26th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Well...i dont have a plumbers torch, but i do have plenty of plumbers crack, will that work instead???
Kwtony
spearo

Postby chris oak » December 27th, 2016, 3:50 pm

So heres my finished paddle leash. Telephone cord n cut with constrictor knots and shrink tube. since its multi wire inside it works great for most uses.Image
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Kwtony » December 28th, 2016, 2:25 am

NICE!!!
Kwtony
spearo

Postby John Hughes » January 28th, 2017, 7:58 pm

chris oak wrote:So heres my finished paddle leash. Telephone cord n cut with constrictor knots and shrink tube. since its multi wire inside it works great for most uses.Image

hahaha! That's ghettolicious Chris! :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Steve G » January 30th, 2017, 9:00 am

I'll never make one, but I like it.
Steve G
kook

Postby Kwtony » January 30th, 2017, 11:08 am

I use them on all 8 of my Jet skis for their lanyards, the OEM ones that yami uses are yunk! and I have about 20 of these laying around. Use them for metal detecting to hold my shit down. Million and one uses
Kwtony
spearo

Postby Robert Watson » January 31st, 2017, 1:11 pm

Wow that looks great. But it seems like a lot of work for something that you pick up fairly inexpensively. I never dive with a camera that isn't attached to me in some way.
Robert Watson
spearo

Postby Kwtony » January 31st, 2017, 1:30 pm

Youre right, they ARE super cheap to make. Tell me how much the ones you purchase cost, and then multiply it by 32. As thats how many i have. I have about 15 dollars invested. And they are 400lb break strength,

the most expensive tool i have secured with this was worth a mere 45,000 dollars. It was a ancient cannon. Cannons are tools right :)
Kwtony
spearo

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself