Hollywood Hughes Gun Rack V.2.0

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

Hollywood Hughes Gun Rack V.2.0

Postby chris oak » May 7th, 2017, 8:17 pm

My old fishing rod converted gun rack wasn't cutting it anymore. I just picked up two new to me spearguns and adding that to my quiver along with my 63" and 67" mori caused the frame to sag and everytime I came back from a trip my lazy ass would just lean the guns on the outside instead of storing them correctly which meant that many times the guns would fall on the ground. Clearly something needed to be done.

I had been eyeballing Johns ghetto gun rack and decided to put the pressure on him, I knew he was having a rough seabass season so I told him I'd remove the hex if he got me a giant spool like his. Of course he jumped at it and called me when he got back to work. I ran over there but unfortunately brought the little black car and man that spool was HUGE, it barely fit in the front seat with it moved all the way back, it was much bigger than I imagined and the space I wanted it to go in my garage was smaller. To the delight of my coworkers I left it in our office until I could figure out how to alter it.

I figured if I cut it down I could make it into a large square, and the easiest way to do that was to make a equaldistant cross on the top and then form a square by joining all of the ends of the cross. I used a circular saw to cut it into a square. I added a bit on the bottom so it would be bigger than the top to make sure it would stay stable. There were some large holes in that spool and it annoyed me so I filled them but using a hole saw to cut a piece of plywood out and then using shims to jam it into the hole. I broke the shim flush and then filled the gaps with wood putty and sanded it. Perfection!

I had already measured the mighty Mori 67" gun because I knew it was the biggest. It looked like if I made my cuts for the guns 3" wide and 4" long I would be able to fit everything in comfortably, including flat cuttlebone shaped guns like my Steve Veros/Poseidonsub voodoo stick. I like a semicircular end on my cuts so I used a hole saw first and then connected the lines to make a nice spot for each speargun.
I also cut a bunch of holes in the center to hold my extra spearshafts which are cluttering up my garage.

When I was done I hit it with a coat of primer and then blue paint. The blue paint was too blue, it really had no soul and I've been thinking of mixing colored epoxies on some of my teak guns so I figured I'd try it out with paint and hit it with some white and black lines and then blended them in for a blue camo kind of look. I had a ton of small eyebolts from another project and I knew if I just used two nails like John that my lazy ass would lose all the bungees so I put a knot in the bungee and then used that to hold it to the eyebolts. Everything worked out pretty well and as soon as I get a chance I'm going to run to Home cheapo and pick up some small casters so I can rotate the rack when I want to switch guns.

Some things I learned during the build.
1. You can pretty much make the same kind of thing without having a spool by using some scrap plywood because the spool is just two plywood pieces with allthread holding it together against the center of the spool.
2. Euro guns tend to slide around the bottom, I am going to have to put some sort of wood block so the handles don't slip out of it. Wood guns stand perfectly straight because they have that straight end. It might be a good idea to glue a piece of foam on the bottom to keep the guns from sliding but since foam eventually rots it might not be worth the time.
3. It would have been better to cut each slot depending on the size of the gun, ie, I really didn't need a 3"x4" slot for a small eurogun.
4. Cut the holes for the shafts extra large, I think I used a 3/4" or so bit and the shafts with shark fins don't fit so I'll have to redrill those.
5. If I had the room a circular gun rack looks a bit nicer than a square one.
6. As a unconnected piece of advice, it is bad to get your finger between an anvil and a hammer when you are hammering.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Hollywood Hughes Gun Rack V.2.0

Postby dam » May 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Oh shit... I could use something like this. Cupcake... would you be able to...? :romance-threesome:

BTW, Chris, I like how you have marks on your gun for the shorties you always shoot. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dam
sea slayer

Postby chris oak » May 8th, 2017, 12:45 pm

dam wrote:Oh shit... I could use something like this. Cupcake... would you be able to...? :romance-threesome:

BTW, Chris, I like how you have marks on your gun for the shorties you always shoot. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have serious doubts about your ability to use any power tools dam!
Oh waittt...I forgot, how many wsb have you shot this year? :rofl: :bowrofl:
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » May 8th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Dude how many times do I have to tell you? I'm going for quality over quantity. It's also why my guns don't have those shorties markers. Well, I take that back, my whole 67" gun is the marker. :hsugh:
dam
sea slayer

Postby John Hughes » May 16th, 2017, 4:10 am

that turned out great Chris! Good job. I like how you made it square like the shape of your head :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » May 16th, 2017, 6:53 am

Yah John thanks again, it works fantastic and doesn't take up much more space than my old linear rack. I like the circle shape better but it was too big and I know I would have been annoyed cutting it into a smaller circle because it would have been crooked lol.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself