Built in closet door gun rack

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

Built in closet door gun rack

Postby X-toy » June 1st, 2017, 9:54 pm

With all the cool DIY gun racks recently, I thought I’d share this project I did a while ago. Not as cool nor the same capacity of the other racks, but you may still find it useful. This was for a closet in my house that my guns were in. I don’t have that many guns, but this could still work for you to keep your favorite guns easily accessible and nicely visible. You can make it for more guns by adjusting the peg distances, but I put camera mounts on my guns so I need some space in between. I’ve since put it in the garage where the rest of my gear is. I was thinking about it for a while and thought it would be great to get the guns off the floor and displayed. I remember sketching the idea in some long boring meeting. I decided to have a top row of pegs with some paracord to keep guns in place and a lower board with a rounded lip to keep gun butts from slipping off.

Got the supplies and used our shop at work during a couple of lunch times to cut and glue it all together. I used some ½” & ¼” dowels, half round strip, and scrap wood lying around. After cutting, drilling, chamfering the dowels and wood and gluing them, I assembled it all with predrilled holes for the screws to mount onto the backside of my closet door. Since it is a hollow core door, I used a lot of screws since each wouldn’t get that many threads into the door walls. I didn’t need as many screws for the solid particleboards of my garage doors. After putting it up, I added some rubber bands to each pair of pegs to keep guns from rattling and banging the wall when opening and closing. I’ve added some small hooks to the closet door to hang other accessories (i.e. throw flashers and break away rigging, etc.). It works pretty good and keeps the UV off of the bands when stored. I don't know why some of the pics are sideways, sorry about that. Cheers.
Attachments
---------> <'///////>{

Peter
https://www.youtube.com/user/theXtoy
Instagram: ocdesignguy
X-toy
spearo

Re: Built in closet door gun rack

Postby Westbury » June 2nd, 2017, 6:47 am

Damn nice!
Westbury
kook

Postby rhyne » June 2nd, 2017, 11:07 am

mmmmmm, niiiicely done.
rhyne
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » June 2nd, 2017, 2:40 pm

That's sneaky...I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Neptonics » June 3rd, 2017, 11:56 am

Nice!!!
https://www.instagram.com/neptonics_worldwide/

Quality you can trust from North America's Biggest Spearfishing Retailer.

Neptonics
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 3rd, 2017, 1:47 pm

I'm feeling all out of step lately. I don't collect stones and my guns are not in nice racks at home. :)

But wall space in my garage is in short supply. Its all taken up by storage cabinets and a work bench, washer and dryer, water softener, garbage cans, etc. But there is a space left between the end of my work bench and a storage cabinet, and I just lean the guns in there. In the photo from under the bench you can see 6 guns. The photo straight on shows how little wall space they take up.

Sorry about that photo of Dam. I have photos of guys with fish taped on the cabinet doors, and that is an old one from back when he used to actually dive and shoot fish. I'll have to replace that one with something more current.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby X-toy » June 4th, 2017, 10:59 am

Bill, it would be pretty handy to build a pullout shelf/drawer out of that space that would have your guns organized and accessible. It could be made out of 1/2" ply and some rollers on the bottom since it's such a defined slot space. But that would be a project and your lean it til u need it method is already working. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
---------> <'///////>{

Peter
https://www.youtube.com/user/theXtoy
Instagram: ocdesignguy
X-toy
spearo

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself