weighing a boat/trailer

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

weighing a boat/trailer

Postby chris oak » December 8th, 2017, 2:14 pm

So I was hoping to sell my tundra and lower the amount of cars since my wife just got a new suv and wanted to see how much my boat/trailer weighs. I asked around and read up a lot, from the net it seemed like you can get a weight at some dumps, metal scrap yards, gravel beds, and truck stops and you can even do a calculation by trailer length and doing measurements and tongue weights. The most stressful part was trying to figure out where I could do it easily and not have to back it up because moving a trailer backwards and around small corners is a major PITA.

The guys on bloodydecks recommended Dycorp as they are located nearby me so I checked with them and Dycorp said just bring it in. Their address is 309 E Ball Rd, Anaheim, CA 92805 Phone: (714) 635-5250. I pulled up the image on google earth and saw it was easy to find and seemed to have the scale right in front of the store.

I went in about 10.30 am, pulled right onto the scale and went inside. The employee was really nice and I got total weight, tongue weight and trailer/boat weight for a whopping 10$ and it only took about 5 minutes to do all three weights. If you happen to do this route you want to: 1. put your truck/trailer on the scale and get the total weight, 2. move the truck and get the trailer/boat weight and 3. if you want the tongue weight, move the trailer so the wheels are off the pad and the boat trailer jack is on the pad.

What I also read was you do not want to go to the chp weigh station as if your rig is missing anything you can be cited.

Unfortunately for me, my boat went in as a fatty at 3600 lbs fully loaded which means I have to keep my truck as it's too heavy for my wife's car :(.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: weighing a boat/trailer

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 8th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Before I bought my present truck, I towed my rig to a public scale in Lake Forest. Its the simple and cheap way to make sure you have the right vehicle for your boat.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: weighing a boat/trailer

Postby John Hughes » December 17th, 2017, 9:22 pm

chris oak wrote:
Unfortunately for me, my boat went in as a fatty at 3600 lbs fully loaded which means I have to keep my truck as it's too heavy for my wife's car :(.

Plus you're out 10 bucks which I know really sealed your depression :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to Boat Maintenance