Trailer Bunks

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Trailer Bunks

Postby undrH2Ohntr » August 22nd, 2014, 8:07 am

Converting the trailer from bunk / rollers to all bunks.

Any tips or suggestions? Things to look out for?

What carpet do you guys use to line the bunks? Any standard outdoor from home depot or something special?

Thanks.
undrH2Ohntr
spearo

Re: Trailer Bunks

Postby bluesquids » August 22nd, 2014, 11:38 am

The carpet at Depot sucks. But if you get the carpet "runner" cut off the big roll it is rubber backed and very durable...inexpensive too.
Stainless steel staples.
I know pressure treated lumber is used by many for bunks but it's chemicals are toxic for aluminum boats, could leach into gelcoat over time, probably not but..IDK.
I found a awesome way to water proof wood by accident and cheap too.
The titebond three glue is what some gunbuilders use to laminate their stocks...so it's good stuff.....you water it down just under 50% and when you paint it on it soaks into the wood just slightly. One coat works, two is better. I left a piece of stock sitting in a bucket of water overnight and got it came out completely dry.
Having the wood stay saturated and wet under the carpet is what makes the wood dry rot quickly..not good for the carpet either to stay next to that wet wood.
Last edited by bluesquids on September 9th, 2014, 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » August 22nd, 2014, 11:42 am

Electric stapler a must. Borrow mine if need be. At LJ tomorrow.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby undrH2Ohntr » August 24th, 2014, 9:44 am

Thanks Pete.
undrH2Ohntr
spearo

Postby Kwtony » August 24th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Just go to your nearest carpet store and check out their dumpster. Chances are youll find some perfectly good scrap for free
Kwtony
spearo

Postby Logan » August 25th, 2014, 9:18 am

Probably any carpet will work, I just happened to use the bunk carpet from pacific trailers:
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/Boat-Tra ... rs-Covers/
Probably a bit overpriced, but I was already getting other stuff from them and it was convenient.

I had good success with the following spray adhesive:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-13-5 ... /203938849

And finished them off with Inconel staples, the stainless are still prone to rusting.

Good luck.
Logan
spearo

Postby undrH2Ohntr » August 25th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Thanks guys.
undrH2Ohntr
spearo

Postby chris oak » August 25th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Excellent suggestions, I also have to do this sometime in the future. Eric are you raising your boat when you do it or are you dropping it off somewhere or doing it in the parking lot?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Westbury » August 25th, 2014, 10:23 pm

I always thought they use Cypress wood for the bunks?
Not 100% sure on that though
Westbury
kook

Postby undrH2Ohntr » September 9th, 2014, 11:47 am

Chris-
I have a buddy that works at a boat yard / boat shipping place. He told me to drive it up, they would take it off with the lift and we could do it right there. Looking to do it once offshore action stops.
undrH2Ohntr
spearo

Postby chris oak » September 9th, 2014, 12:24 pm

undrH2Ohntr wrote:Chris-
I have a buddy that works at a boat yard / boat shipping place. He told me to drive it up, they would take it off with the lift and we could do it right there. Looking to do it once offshore action stops.

Dang that's awesome, take a lot of pix so I can see how it's done!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby undrH2Ohntr » September 10th, 2014, 7:41 am

Will do.
undrH2Ohntr
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 18th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Just saw this guys. One thing I get a ton of for free at my work is carpet. It's just crappy tradeshow carpet but if anybody ever needs any, all you have to do is ask. Unless you're Oak. Then you have some serious ass kissing to do as well.

wait, I think my phone is ringing. I haven't even submitted this and Oak heard the word "free" :)

Anytime you guys need a little, or alot hit me up. With the Auto shows coming up, there's usually a ton of nice plush stuff they just throw away. I used to always take a bunch camping to Baja. We lay it out and camp on it and then donate it to the locals. I've carpeted a few complete homes down there :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby estayton760 » September 18th, 2014, 8:22 pm

When I changed mine from rollers to bunks on my tinny I used trex boards as runners on top the 2x4's. I didn't like the idea of carpet. So far it has worked out great.
estayton760
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 18th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Don't know if it is better or worse than stainless staples but you can use galvanized roofing nails.

I have a combination of rollers and bunks. (converted from all carpet). The rollers are in front and I like the combo because the boat is very secure on the bunks and doesn't move on the trailer until it lifts off in the water and rolls off the rollers quite easily once it is in the water. I don't know if I would like pure rollers because I think my boat might want to come off coming down the ramp.
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby undrH2Ohntr » March 13th, 2015, 12:07 pm

Just for a heads up, I found SS staples at home depot, $9 for a big pack, can't remember how many but they will last.
undrH2Ohntr
spearo

Postby Spearing Magazine » April 19th, 2015, 6:20 am

I used 1/2" PVC board on top of all my bunks.. never need to be replaces.
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 19th, 2015, 8:09 am

On the last trailer I had under my old Skipjack, a Trailrite, they used UHMW (some kind of Plastic) on the bunks. The stuff was great. The boat slid on and off so easily that I made sure it had water under it before I turned it loose from the winch. When I got the trailer from Pacific for my present boat, they didn't offer the UHMW, they didn't offer UHMW, but put some sort of plastic covers at intervals over the carpeted bunks. Those are cracking and I'm afraid I'll to replace them.

Edit- here is a photo of my bunks. You can see that the covers fit over the bunks and are stapled at the sides. I don't know where you could get them, but Pacific Trailers put them on.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » April 19th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Spearing Magazine wrote:I used 1/2" PVC board on top of all my bunks.. never need to be replaces.

Jeremy how much did that pvc run you? Is it uv stabilized? The only reason I ask is because unless pvc is coated with something (paint, protectant etc) it gets brittle very fast.

I'm researching using different types of plastics for bunks as mine are going to go bad soon. I was thinking of using sintra which is a pvc based plastic, it's a bit soft though and the sun will tear it up. There's a guy on ebay that sells plastic glide bunk tops that are made up of something that is similar to starboard, Im going to guess it's some sort of polyethylene like plastic. Everyone says it's much easier to get your boats on and off with plastic bunks but I was wondering if having less of a cushion will damage the boat on long trailering hauls (my normal route to the launch ramps I use is about 45 miles each way). I assume that carpet adds some shock absorbing to the boat. The downside of course is you have to replace it, it gets waterlogged etc.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 20th, 2015, 8:56 am

Chris, I had that plastic stuff under a 24' Skipjack Flybridge and didn't get any hull damage. I doubt that it would be a problem under your toy boat.

I did some Googling on the subject, and saw mention of something to consider. If you have slick bunks, when you run the boat onto the trailer and hit the bow stop, it might slide backwards when you take power off. Depending on how deep my buddies back the trailer in, I can have this problem. I keep a lot of power on until my buddy hooks up the winch and pulls it tight. If you are alone, this could be a problem.

I never go alone any more, but I did when I owned the Skipjack. I would back the trailer down next to the dock, run the boat against the bow stop, leave the power on, jump off on the dock and run up to attach and tighten the winch strap. That is kind of a weird show.

Some of the guys discussing on the boards suggested having the slick stuff on the front bunks only, but carpet on the rear bunks. If your trailer is far enough out of the water, the slick stuff lets you drive on, but then the stern settles on the carpet and keeps you from sliding back.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » April 20th, 2015, 10:19 am

[quote="Bill McIntyre". I doubt that it would be a problem under your toy boat..[/quote]

TOY BOAT??? :angry-cussingblack: :madrun: :angry-cussingblack: That's an outrage, Gigas is perfect (as long as wind, swell, distance isn't a consideration ;).

I also read about how slippery those plastic bunks are and that you have to be careful when you are launching because the boat slides off so quickly. I'm wondering if that would be a problem when I launch solo and if I'd have to put it in gear to keep it from unspooling all of my winching strap. Usually when I'm bringing the boat back on the trailer I'll keep it slighly in gear to push it forward to make it easier to pull it in with the winch and to keep it from sliding back. I just have to be careful to never get between the boat and the winch!!

I'll look up that dudes link on ebay today and put it up in case anyone is interested.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Spearing Magazine » April 20th, 2015, 12:45 pm

chris oak wrote:
Spearing Magazine wrote:I used 1/2" PVC board on top of all my bunks.. never need to be replaces.

Jeremy how much did that pvc run you? Is it uv stabilized? The only reason I ask is because unless pvc is coated with something (paint, protectant etc) it gets brittle very fast.

I'm researching using different types of plastics for bunks as mine are going to go bad soon. I was thinking of using sintra which is a pvc based plastic, it's a bit soft though and the sun will tear it up. There's a guy on ebay that sells plastic glide bunk tops that are made up of something that is similar to starboard, Im going to guess it's some sort of polyethylene like plastic. Everyone says it's much easier to get your boats on and off with plastic bunks but I was wondering if having less of a cushion will damage the boat on long trailering hauls (my normal route to the launch ramps I use is about 45 miles each way). I assume that carpet adds some shock absorbing to the boat. The downside of course is you have to replace it, it gets waterlogged etc.

A friend had an extra couple sheets so I got them for cheap. It must be UV stabilized as its been on the trailer for a couple years and no signs of wear.
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby chris oak » April 20th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Here's a link to the ones on eBay http://m.ebay.com/itm/161677277409?nav=SEARCH
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby phil herranen » April 21st, 2015, 10:31 pm

we used the plastic deck wood for my friends trailer bunks , 1/4" hdpe or even ldpe will make great slides for the bunks http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plas ... sheets/410

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23655
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby 'o cino » April 23rd, 2015, 5:18 am

I've ordered a lot from US Plastics, and found their customer service reps are good at getting questions answered for odd applications. I like it when the rep says "let me get your email, so I can research this and get back to you with something useful. I'm not 100% on this."
Michael Dong "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Los Pistoleros
Sportsko Ribolovno Drustvo "Umag"
Centro Pordenonese Sommozzatori
'o cino
spearo

Return to Boat Maintenance