RIB Restoration

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

RIB Restoration

Postby Scottyboy679 » November 13th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am currently fixing up an inflatable 13 ft AVON sportboat, i believe Hypalon material, and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions.

It only has one leak to patch up which will be pretty simple, but I would like to put a protective layer on the dinghy to make it more resistant to punctures since it will obviously have sharp opjects in it.

Also, I think I need to relaminate the floor to keep the floor from leaking. Any suggestions what I should use for this?

Thanks for the help!

Scott
If it looks good, Eat it!

-Andrew Zimmern
Scottyboy679
spearo

Re: RIB Restoration

Postby Loafer » November 16th, 2014, 7:35 am

Post a pic of the inflatable. Is it a hard bottom or soft?
Loafer
noob

Postby Scottyboy679 » November 18th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Loafer wrote:Post a pic of the inflatable. Is it a hard bottom or soft?

Its has an inflatable keel and also wooden floor boards that are not in the boat in the picture.
Attachments

-Andrew Zimmern
Scottyboy679
spearo

Postby Loafer » November 20th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Hice. Should be a good project. The Hypalon type are good, strong material that lasts a long time.
Loafer
noob

Postby SBH2Oman » February 7th, 2015, 3:12 pm

FWIW, thats a "SIB" not a "RIB" (a RIB has a hard hull, typically of fiberglass).

If that is a hypalon boat (which is technically no longer made, by the way), then you can follow these instructions:
http://www.nrs.com/repair/hypalon_repair.asp

NRS also sells patching material and all kinds of accessories that you can attach. Just make sure you're always using hypalon stuff and not PVC. PVC can't be glued - it has to be "thermo-welded" (basically heat-bonded) and is much more difficult to repair.

I believe they also sell material specifically engineered for the flooring. Brace yourself, though - it is VERY expensive. Something like $40 or $50 a running foot.

BTW, NEVER use anything with silicone in it to treat/preserve the tubes or fabric. You'll never get a patch to stick if you do that.

For cleaning, use Z-Cleaner heavy duty with a stiff brush, followed up by some 303 Aerospace protectant. Just be careful of any de-lamination (where the layers of the hypalon separate from each other). You will see this as "wrinkles" in the fabric. You don't want to scrub these areas with a brush - just use a sponge and be gentle.

Also check the seams between the flooring and the tubes - make sure the tape is good and not buckling. Also check the glued joints holding the transom to the tubes and the flooring. This tends to be the weakest area on any SIB
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Namor » February 7th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Based on my limited experiences with my small inflatable you could do the following:

Apply wads of twenty and fifty dollar bills to all parts of the boat. Use hundreds for any problem areas. If that fails apply whole paychecks as needed. Use any remaining cash or credit to purchase important safety gear,and accessories you rarely if ever use.

Spend precious dive time transporting, launching, maintaining and troubleshooting the boat and engine.

Gain added respect for the skills, dedication, and earning power of real boat owners.

After allowing it to sit idle for an extended period of time, sell the boat at a loss, buy a new wetsuit and other gear.

Shoredive and try to convince yourself that you didn't want to shoot those big offshore pelagic fish anyways.

Jeremy
Namor
kook

Postby SBH2Oman » February 7th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Namor wrote:Based on my limited experiences with my small inflatable you could do the following:

Apply wads of twenty and fifty dollar bills to all parts of the boat. Use hundreds for any problem areas. If that fails apply whole paychecks as needed. Use any remaining cash or credit to purchase important safety gear,and accessories you rarely if ever use.

Spend precious dive time transporting, launching, maintaining and troubleshooting the boat and engine.

Gain added respect for the skills, dedication, and earning power of real boat owners.

After allowing it to sit idle for an extended period of time, sell the boat at a loss, buy a new wetsuit and other gear.

Shoredive and try to convince yourself that you didn't want to shoot those big offshore pelagic fish anyways.

Jeremy

Damn Jeremy, you have a knack for the truth. :greetings-clappingorange:

You forgot the last piece of advice - "Find a friend that has one and just dive with him"
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Blue Man » February 7th, 2015, 11:43 pm

Namor, that's just mean! The guy just bought the boat. Maybe he's handy and doesn't mind the work and expense. Or maybe it just hurts because I'm in the situation you just described! ;-) It has been a fun project though...although not cheap.
Blue Man
spearo

Postby John Hughes » February 10th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Namor wrote:Based on my limited experiences with my small inflatable you could do the following:

Jeremy

this is so classic :bowrofl:

hey Scott, I just sold Woody something similar and he just put a bunch of time and not that much money into it. I'm sure he'd be happy to show you what to do and do it on the cheap. If you need his number hit me up or just show up at the next Neptune meeting to hook up with him.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby woody » February 16th, 2015, 8:08 pm

I have a lot of extra hyplone scotty.give me call you have my number
woody
kook

Postby Scottyboy679 » February 19th, 2015, 9:57 am

woody wrote:I have a lot of extra hyplone scotty.give me call you have my number

Awesome! I might give you a call this weekend. Thanks!

-Andrew Zimmern
Scottyboy679
spearo

Return to Boat Maintenance