Advice for boat that has sat a while

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Postby Rising_Tide » July 15th, 2015, 12:18 pm

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a hole in the water in which to pour money. It is a 2006 boston whaler conquest 205 with a 200 HP Mercury optimax engine, with a total of 26 hours on it.

I bought it from a person inland, in yucca valley, so the boat was in the nice dry desert. It was last run in January this year. Had lower unit oil changed in 2012 and got new fuel pumps at that time. But as far as I know it hasn't had an impeller replacement yet. I'm thinking about tackling that myself. Any advice there? Is that a diy job with this engine?

Should I change the 3 yr old lower unit oil even though the boat only has 5 hours on it since it was last changed? Any other things I should be proactive about checking or replacing due to lack of use I've the last few years?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Brian
Rising_Tide
spearo

Re: Advice for boat that has sat a while

Postby chris oak » July 15th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Congrats Brian! Do an online search and also check marineengine.com under mercury to see how hard it is to change the impeller, typically it's not that hard but there are always little things that you will need to look out for. You can ask them the same questions but if it were me I'd change all the fluids and also inspect all of the fuel filters since it wasn't done since 2012. Did you run it on water full throttle before you bought it?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bamz » July 15th, 2015, 1:17 pm

When in doubt, change it out!! I would change the impeller, Lower oil, and engine oil. I'd also replace the fuel filter(s) and inspect all rubber hoses. Dry desert air can make your hoses brittle. A little prep now will pay off later.
Congrats on the boat! Post up some pics!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Rising_Tide » July 15th, 2015, 8:55 pm

Thanks guys. I'm gonna get the impeller kit and lower unit oil and see if I can get that changed out this weekend.

I did not drive the boat on the water. Didn't even start it up. I bought the boat on a promise and a prayer. Decision based on immaculate condition, great price, and baseless optimism. We will see how the gamble works out for me. I'll post some pics up this weekend.
Rising_Tide
spearo

Postby pukahd » July 21st, 2015, 4:10 pm

Maybe think about draining all the fuel. If over the 3 years that tank was not filled 100% there could be a ton of water mixed with the fuel due to condensation. Especially with the cold winter days and hot hot days.
Better be safe than sorry and stuck on the water with a blown engine and a wasted day waiting to get towed.

Big outboards need to be run constantly. Sitting around can cause all kinds of issues starting with your fuel lines, especially at the hose clamp connections. Seals in the lower end and any rubber parts tend to shrink and start cracking in the engine.

First thing I would do would be to secure a strong fuel connection and start by unclamping all hose clamp connections in the fuel line starting from the fuel tank and cut off the ends after the clamps then reclamp a fresh uncompressed hose end. In my opinion fuel leaking is my #1 concern and i would just replace all the fuel lines from the tank to the engine.

Even the tiniest pin hole usually located under a hose clamp can make your fuel system lose vacuum pressure. You will notice your engine sputter and your fuel ball always becoming soft.
Last edited by pukahd on July 21st, 2015, 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pukahd
spearo

Postby Westbury » July 21st, 2015, 4:42 pm

That's a great boat and a great motor.
Excellent fit and finish.
I had a 2004 BW 275 Conquest with twin 200 Opti's.
It was a well built boat that really handled snotty Island runs.
With only 26 hours, it's not even broken in yet.

Congrats on a very nice boat!
Westbury
kook

Postby Avenues » July 21st, 2015, 6:24 pm

Westbury wrote:It was a well built boat that really handled snotty Island runs.
With only 26 hours, it's not even broken in yet.

Congrats on a very nice boat!

What he said. Now hurry up and get this thing in the water Brian, your coworkers family is getting anxious about slaying some island yellows!! :hsdance:
James Grover
www.youtube.com/user/jgroverman/videos
Instagram: jgroverman
Avenues
kook

Postby SBH2Oman » July 21st, 2015, 7:17 pm

Not sure if this is your first boat but either way - congrats! That BS about "the best two days" is not true, but your patience will be tested at times. The thing to keep in mind is that with a boat, it's a totally different standard than it is with cars. You can "get by" on some crazy short cuts with a car but when the weather comes up and you need to get your ass home in a hurry, having a crappy fuel filter that you were too cheap to replace can cost you your boat and possibly your life. So I don't believe in cutting corners.

If it was me, I'd replace EVERY single rubber part related to the fuel system. Pumps, diaphragms, hoses, clamps, everything. That's the stuff that rots with no use and will fail without warning. Also drain all the fuel and run plenty of seafoam through it - the fuel system will probably be pretty badly gunked up

For perspective, I'd rather have a boat with 2600 hours that is run every day by a guy who depends on it for his livelihood than a neglected boat that hasn't run in 8 years with only 26 hours on it, based on my personal experience. So the trick is to take it to that point where you're making up for all that neglect and deferred maintenance.

But it sounds like you've got a GREAT platform to start from. Hopefully you budgeted 50% for the purchase and 50% for refurbishment and accessories. :)
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby castronova » July 22nd, 2015, 5:02 am

Man, I think people go crazy with this stuff.

Get a lower unit kit and change the impeller, oil, seals and gaskets. Hit all the grease points and replace the anodes. Basically what you would do on a 100 hour service. I would probably have the fuel tank polished after that long but take the primer bulb off and pump out a gallon of fuel and see what it looks like. I would not go changing out every hose and pump but thats just me. I bought my boat used and its an 01'. It had 580 hours on it which is a lot more than 26 but it still sat for a very long time and it sat in the saltwater with bottom paint on a canal. It's starts right up every time and all the pumps and hoses are fine. Visually inspect the lines, put some gas in the tank and run it for a while on the hose before you go spending thousands replacing things that may be fine. That year optimax is a great motor and should run for thousands of hours.
castronova
prick

Postby Rising_Tide » July 28th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Thanks for the great advice guys. I've gone through the boat now and everything I've seen is tip top. Hoses look great. Fuel stabilizer was added when he filled it up, and all fuel was drained when he put the boat away. Previous owner was an aircraft mechanic and extremely thorough in his maintanence. Also it has a complete canvas set and was completely covered, which is nice to limit uv exposure. I'm still definitely going to go through the 100 hour service points though.

I changed out the impeller this past weekend. Although it made me a little nervous, the job really wasnt difficult. And once I got it apart, I saw that the inside was in perfect shape, and the impeller looked like it was in new condition and definitely didn't need to be changed. But since I had it all apart and had the parts I changed it out anyway. Good piece of mind. Started it up on the muffs and she peed like a champ. I'm gonna try to get her out for a maiden voyage on friday. Any suggestions on what to look for on the shake down run? It has the nice mercury smartcraft guage that can tell me water pressure, temperature, etc, so I'll definitely be watching those. Unfortunately the redondo hoist is still closed, so I gotta try marina del try or cabrillo. Which of those ramps is easier? Ive never launched a boat...
Rising_Tide
spearo

Postby Westbury » July 28th, 2015, 9:41 pm

For what it's worth, I like marina del ray.
Westbury
kook

Postby Rising_Tide » July 29th, 2015, 6:37 am

Some pics of the boat, which is still in the naming process.

Pic from the front:

Impeller replacement... seemed to go smoothly. Hopefully i didn't miss anything.

Appears to pee okay:
Rising_Tide
spearo

Postby Ramin » August 5th, 2015, 11:49 am

Looks like a solid ride! Congrats!

I'll probably be going out of cabrillo friday morning too. I'll pm you my number. Hit me up if you need any help.
Ramin
polespearo

Postby Rising_Tide » August 5th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Thanks Ramin. Maybe we will see you out there friday!
Rising_Tide
spearo

Postby pukahd » August 7th, 2015, 6:29 am

With all the excitement of the first launch.....don't forget the plug !

The first thing I always do when I get to my boat before doing anything is to put the plug in.
pukahd
spearo

Return to Boat Maintenance