Anchor rode choice

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Anchor rode choice

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 12th, 2015, 4:43 pm

All of my life I've used three strand nylon but I'd like to get opinions on using braided. I have a relatively small locker and have to stuff the line down through a pipe. The three strand is stiff and doesn't lay well, so someone has to be down below pulling and flaking the line while the guy up top feeds is to him. Lately I don't even bother at the end of the day, and the line sits out in the sun.

I was on a friend's boat recently and noticed how nice his braided line felt in my hand. And while he had a much bigger opening, the line seemed much easier to feed into the storage space, and took much less room for a given length.

From what I've read, the braided has less stretch so it might put more shock on the anchor and boat hardware. Is this a problem? I'm also aware that there are different sorts of braids, but I don't know the difference.

I'd appreciate any input on the relative merits. And for what its worth, I've included a photo of the pipe that the line has to go through. Its not easy stuffing a stiff line through it.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Anchor rode choice

Postby pukahd » August 13th, 2015, 6:27 am

http://www.sdmarinehardware.com/contactus.asp

Bill isn't the price for 300' or so of Braid something like triple the price of 3 strand.

You should give a call to call ICON in San Pedro. They supply and are open to the public supplying everything for tge commercial boat industry. They have incredible pricing for everything boat related.

They have all types of rode in 300' and 600' or more spools.

Brian
pukahd
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 13th, 2015, 9:14 am

Brian, I see prices all over the map when I search on line, and I don't know enough to tell what I'd be getting. Maybe ICON can help.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Westbury » August 13th, 2015, 10:34 am

Bill
I had 8 plait on my Steiger. I made sure thats what I got as I had heard the rode would bunch up in the locker like yours.
It was nice, easy to handle and didn't seem to bunch up as easy.
On occasion, I'd still have to crawl into the v berth to knock down the pile of rode, but only on a few occasions.
There's a place in Florida that provides all of Lewmars Rodes. They'll make up anything you want at a very good price. I'm assuming you'll just have the chain respliced locally?
I can't remember the name of the place right now, but I'll do a little homework and post it up so you can check prices.
Westbury
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 13th, 2015, 10:50 am

Westbury wrote:Bill
I had 8 plait on my Steiger. I made sure thats what I got as I had heard the rode would bunch up in the locker like yours.
On occasion, I'd still have to crawl into the v berth to knock down the pile of rode, but only on a few occasions.
There's a place in Florida that provides all of Lewmars Rodes. They'll make up anything you want at a very good price. I'm assuming you'll just have the chain respliced locally?
I can't remember the name of the place right now, but I'll do a little homework and post it up so you can check prices.

Thanks Joe, I'd appreciate that.

My present three-strand is spliced to the chain, but I guess its not really necessary since I don't have a windlass. Some of the web sites offer braided line with a thimble spliced in, so I thought I'd do that if I can find the right length and price.

What diameter line did you have on the Steiger?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » August 13th, 2015, 12:23 pm

I had three strand and when I cut it on a reef I ended up getting multistrand. It's really soft and coils nicely and is supposed to be very strong. The downside is it is super slippery if you aren't using the anchor ball. I got mine really cheap on ebay, I'll see if I can find the link this weekend.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 18th, 2015, 2:05 pm

I finally got around to calling ICON. They sell double braid, but not 8 plait, and they don't splice on thimbles. I don't know the difference between 8 plait and other braided lines. I read descriptions of various lines when I Google it but I'm not sure what I'm reading and I'd like advice from someone who has experience. Another source would be appreciated too.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 18th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Here are some examples. Sampson is over twice as expensive as Norester. Is it any better?

And the same place that sells the Pre-made Sampson line also offers Yale Cordage 1/2" 8-plait for $0.94 per foot and the Sampson for $1.04 per foot.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Westbury » August 18th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:
Westbury wrote:Bill

Thanks Joe, I'd appreciate that.

My present three-strand is spliced to the chain, but I guess its not really necessary since I don't have a windlass. Some of the web sites offer braided line with a thimble spliced in, so I thought I'd do that if I can find the right length and price.

What diameter line did you have on the Steiger?

Shoot!
Sorry Bill, I forgot to look into this...

The site is www.secosouth.com
they have a "build your own rode" feature on the site.
I had 1/4" chain and I believe 9/16" 8 plait. I ordered it from Defender.com
I'll check and see if I have the invoice at home.

Stay tuned.....
Westbury
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 18th, 2015, 4:09 pm

Thanks Joe. That first screen shot was from Defender. When I try that secosouth link to build my own, it seems to require splicing to a chain. I already have 27 feet of stainless steel chain, so I want to use it.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Westbury » August 18th, 2015, 5:09 pm

You could always have a rode spliced to say, 25' of chain and when one side wears out, reverse it. But I just remembered you don't have a windlass. My windlass always chewed up my splice.
Try calling them for a price on just the 8 plait?
Westbury
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 18th, 2015, 8:25 pm

I don't think I was clear.

The Defender web site says price on the 8 plait was $0.94. The price on the Sampson double braid is $1.04. Defender offers lines with thimble spliced in for the Sampson, but not for the 8 plait. The seecosouth offers build-it-your self lines, but as near as I can tell, I have to include a chain spliced to the line. I already have a chain. They won't let me order a line spliced to a thimble.

I still don't know the pros and cons of 8 plait vs. double braid.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Westbury » August 19th, 2015, 6:47 am

I had 1/2" line.

Maybe double braid can't be spliced? I'm taking a stab in the dark here.
Westbury
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 19th, 2015, 8:05 am

Apparently it can be spliced. Defender offers lines with a thimble spliced in and so does Norstar.

Since Defender sells both kinds of lines I think I'll call and see if some can offer an intelligent sounding comparison.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 19th, 2015, 9:10 am

I called, and two different people said that 8 plait lays down better than any other line. At some point I have to get off the dime, so I went through their custom procedure and ordered 8 plait line, two thimbles, and splicing service for a thimble in each end.

This isn't cheap, so I hope it lays down in the anchor locker without someone crawling up on the V-berths to pull it. And I hope it gets me on more white sea bass too.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Westbury » August 19th, 2015, 9:27 am

I've heard the harmonics of 9 plait is better for seabass, lol

Seriously though, the 8 plait does lay down better. I still on rare occassions had to push down the heap of anchor line on my Steiger, but I think you'll be happy with it. My rode locker was super small and odd shaped in my Steiger.

I have 3 strand on my Nordic Tug with an enormous locker and I still have to on occassion knock it down.
Westbury
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 19th, 2015, 9:51 am

If this doesn't work out, please send me your address so I can bill you. :)

My old 3-strand line has 13 years on it, so maybe I can justify this as a needed change anyway. Now my concern is whether it will be harder to grip when pulling it by hand, but that's a problem for my anchor bitches.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Westbury » August 19th, 2015, 10:58 am

Ha! I have 2 young kids...I'm broke

I think the 8 plait is easier to grip.
Westbury
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 19th, 2015, 12:08 pm

I have two horses. No tax deductions or exemptions. :)
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 19th, 2015, 4:07 pm

Before I quit bugging everyone, do any of you with braided lines have suggestions for marking them for length?

On my three strand lines, I use those little tapes that show 30, 60, 90 feet etc. Depending on the depth of water and conditions, I can tell the guy on the bow exactly how much line to let out. But those tapes go between the twists, and that obviously isn't going to work on a braided line. I guess i could put different colored tape at each length, or many one stripe of tape at 30, two at 60, etc. but I'm afraid they would come off pretty quickly.

Any suggestions?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bamz » August 19th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Spray paint
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Bamz » August 19th, 2015, 4:36 pm

I run all chain, but spray paint should work on rope too. 30 foot increments, red, whit, then blue then red again.... Yellow is when the anchor is at the surface.
Attachments
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Westbury » August 19th, 2015, 5:16 pm

X2 on the spray paint.

I do mine a bit different than Scott, but same principle.
I used the flourescent marking paint.
I never let out less than 50' so that's where I started my marks. First hash mark at 50', 2 hash marks at 100', 3 hash marks for 150', etc
The paint held up good on my 8 plait line.
Westbury
kook

Postby John Hughes » August 19th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Now my concern is whether it will be harder to grip when pulling it by hand, but that's a problem for my anchor bitches.

I'm just glad you didn't get that shiat Oak has. It may be cheap, but without an anchor ball you can't handline it for anything. It's waaaaay too thin.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 19th, 2015, 6:50 pm

Westbury wrote:X2 on the spray paint.

I never let out less than 50' so that's where I started my marks. First hash mark at 50', 2 hash marks at 100', 3 hash marks for 150', etc

What is marking paint? Is that what the can says?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 19th, 2015, 7:02 pm

John Hughes wrote:
Bill McIntyre wrote:Now my concern is whether it will be harder to grip when pulling it by hand, but that's a problem for my anchor bitches.

I'm just glad you didn't get that shiat Oak has. It may be cheap, but without an anchor ball you can't handline it for anything. It's waaaaay too thin.

Good point on thickness. Half inch line is way overkill for a boat the size of mine in terms of strength (8600 pounds) but I use 1/2" strictly to have something thick enough for my limp wristed anchor bitches to grab. I'd use thicket if my anchor locket was big enough to hold it.

About that anchor ball. I've used it for years but lately Dave Freeman and other guys I dive with insist on being he-men and pulling it by hand. I really don't care as long as the anchor comes up, so I've actually taken the ball off of the boat so it won't clutter up the bow.

I love to watch their butt muscles flex.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Westbury » August 19th, 2015, 8:33 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:
Westbury wrote:X2 on the spray paint.

What is marking paint? Is that what the can says?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... d=53380176

something like this.
I used hot pink cause that's what I had when I was laying out the borders for my yard a few years ago.
Any hardware store should have it
Westbury
kook

Postby Alex Ray » August 19th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:I love to watch their butt muscles flex.

Hey now...its been a little while since I've graced the Rhapsody with my presence, and although I'm flattered you were so taken with my assets, I must admit I've been holding out hope that it was actually the stimulating cabin conversations that kept you asking me back.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » October 7th, 2015, 6:20 am

I finally got the boat fixed and got to try my 8 plait anchor line, and it was a huge success. That's Joe for the recommendation, and thanks Scott for the paint marking idea. My two anchor bitches, Dave Freeman and Jess Bonisa, said it felt good in their hands when pulling anchor, and Dave Freeman was able to feed it all down into the locker without anyone going below to pull it down.

Those orange paint stripes marking length are a lot easier to notice than the little tags that I had in the 3-strand anyway, and paint on the anchor chain to let guys know when the anchor is at the surface will hopefully keep them from pulling hard until the anchor hits the bow.

Maybe I'll get this boating thing right before I get too old to keep at it.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bamz » October 11th, 2015, 12:15 am

Glad to see you got the boat fixed Bill.
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby mbhalihunter » December 4th, 2015, 11:30 pm

This is a little late, but I've got tons of 3/4" & 1" 8 strand nylon rope. I have a wide variety of conditions of it, and huge lengths. I can do the splices and pull test them for you. I can provide a variety of thimbles or splice to long link chain.
mbhalihunter
noob

Return to Boat Maintenance