Trailer Tire Check

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Trailer Tire Check

Postby chris oak » September 21st, 2015, 6:52 pm

Usually during the winter I do a big maintenance check, and that usually includes the trailer. One of the things I learned from scottywotty years ago was to antiseize the lugs on the trailer. This is one of those things people argue over, if you antiseize them you can overtorque the nuts and stretch the lugs. The benefit is that one time when you have a flat you will actually be able to get your tire off. Before I started doing this I had to liquid wrench a lug for three days and heat it up and use my extra long breaker bar to get a lug off.

I always check tire pressure before a trip and also check the bearing grease. I have no idea how this one slipped by me.

At any rate it's almost that time and as I passed my tire today I noticed the tread looked worn. And as I got closer I noticed that the belting was showing! Luckily I had bought a couple of spare tires/rims when I had first got Gigas. I always griped what a pain in the ass it was when I was putting air in that rim and thought what lameo designs a valve on the INSIDE of the rim. When I got it off I knew why, someone had actually put the rim on BACKWARDS. Why I never bothered to check that shows what kind of real brainpower I possess. I was horrified to see a cut in the tire as well, it's amazing that thing didn't blow on my last trip.

At any rate, thank goodness I caught it early as if that tire blew it could have been a real mess on the freeway. So yeah, check your tires.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Trailer Tire Check

Postby Alex Ray » September 21st, 2015, 8:36 pm

WHOA. Glad you caught this Oak, could've been a BIG disaster.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Donzi Paul » September 21st, 2015, 8:45 pm

Chris you should be ashamed of yourself, that tire is one most trashed, gunk tires I've ever seen.(second layer of cord) :nuts: Too much time on the net and in the water, ;) and not crawing under the trailer. Tires need to be checked every trip.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Westbury » September 21st, 2015, 9:13 pm

I always went thru my trailer annually and one of the things I'd do while the boat was in a guest slip was to go thru and make sure all the nuts and bolts were tightened.
I used to take lithium spray grease and spray all the nuts and bolts.
I then discovered Fluid Film and would spray everything with the fluid film. Seemed to do a really great job at preventing corrosion ( I never seem to keep my boats for very long so I don't have any long term follow up)
http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/boating/

Another obvious thing is if/when you get new tires, make sure they are made for a trailer. Apparently they are constructed differently with thicker sidewalls.
Westbury
kook

Postby greekdiver » September 22nd, 2015, 6:03 am

Spend the money and buy stainless. Fill them up with grease or anitsieze and tighten them down.

greekdiver
spearo

Postby greekdiver » September 22nd, 2015, 6:07 am

Get one of these also. Worth every penny for double axles
greekdiver
spearo

Postby Westbury » September 22nd, 2015, 6:17 am

Handy!
Westbury
kook

Postby greekdiver » September 22nd, 2015, 6:18 am

Have this in your truck and you can change a tire in 10 mins or less.
greekdiver
spearo

Postby greekdiver » September 22nd, 2015, 6:18 am

Ill give more tips later.
greekdiver
spearo

Postby Highliner » September 23rd, 2015, 8:14 am

greekdiver wrote:Spend the money and buy stainless. Fill them up with grease or anitsieze and tighten them down.

I only play mechanic and boat builder on TV but DO NOT "fill them up." You fill the cavity and then go to tighten them down and the grease packs up and hydraulics the thing. As in youRe not able to crank the nut down on the lug, especially with a Harbor Freight impact wrench.

Clean the lug, wire brush it to remove any crap on it, wipe a THIN layer of anti seize on the threads, be sure the inside of the nut is clear of shit and install. Check after the first trip around the block and thereafter at every gas stop or before you load the boat back up at the ramp. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
HighlinerCustomBoats
Highliner
spearo

Postby VangysWay » September 23rd, 2015, 5:25 pm

Funny this topic comes up the week my trailer takes a shit. Anyone know of any guys in the LA area that fix trailers?
VangysWay
kook

Postby Rising_Tide » October 1st, 2015, 8:57 pm

What broke on your trailer vangy? I got some work done by baja custom trailers in gardena. They did a good job and seemed to have good prices.
Rising_Tide
spearo

Postby chris oak » October 2nd, 2015, 3:34 pm

I'd yelp all the trailer places nearby you. If it's something simple you might be able to do it yourself too.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Boat Maintenance