Fish finder on a zodiac?

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Fish finder on a zodiac?

Postby Stinkypeter » October 14th, 2015, 8:22 am

Hey everyone,

I'm about to put in an order for a Zodiac MK-3 Grand Raid with a 40hp Yamaha motor on it (http://zodiacmilpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/TDS-EN-GR-range-IT.pdf). It's my first boat and I'm stoked. Will mostly be for spearfishing Cen/NorCal and occasionally bug diving down south.

I've been having an issue figuring out how to mount a fish finder to the boat. The zodiac isn't a center console, so I'm not sure where else to mount the unit.

Right now I'm thinking of building out a metal U, like what they sell as an accessory, and mounting the unit to that so it doesn't get wet.

Any ideas?
Stinkypeter
polespearo

Re: Fish finder on a zodiac?

Postby Donzi Paul » October 14th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Stinkypeter wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm about to put in an order for a Zodiac MK-3 Grand Raid with a 40hp Yamaha motor on it (http://zodiacmilpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/TDS-EN-GR-range-IT.pdf). It's my first boat and I'm stoked. Will mostly be for spearfishing Cen/NorCal and occasionally bug diving down south.

I've been having an issue figuring out how to mount a fish finder to the boat. The zodiac isn't a center console, so I'm not sure where else to mount the unit.

Right now I'm thinking of building out a metal U, like what they sell as an accessory, and mounting the unit to that so it doesn't get wet.

Any ideas?

Every thing on a MK 3 GR will get wet. I'm down with the flu, but will send ya some ideas/pics after the weekend. Is it going to be on a trailer? Where do ya want to sit?
Is it going to be tiller?

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » October 14th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Here ya go..

Sorry wrong one. ;)
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » October 14th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Carbon clam shell console for the electric bits, or ya could do a water proof pod.
The first one is mine, other 2 have a handle and gell battery making it removable.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Stinkypeter » October 14th, 2015, 9:40 pm

This is awesome! Looks solid...I like those pods with everything in them.

The boat is going to be a tiller, and I'll have it on a trailer. Since it's my first boat, I wanted to get something light with the fewest breakable parts, so I didn't go with the RIB/Center console but opted for a lighter boat so with a tiller. I have a feeling I'll be going through some fairly shallow launch points, so the weight difference between the RIB and the MK3 was a big decision factor.
Stinkypeter
polespearo

Postby Donzi Paul » October 14th, 2015, 10:09 pm

I had a Mk 3 and it was a great boat, built like a brick shite house. It will beat you up some in big seas, mine took me to Cat Island a bunch of times even in the dark....I'm starting to shiver now just thinking of it.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby BigJim » October 15th, 2015, 9:02 am

I want a ride dude!!!

:D

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby Stinkypeter » October 15th, 2015, 9:13 am

BigJim wrote:I want a ride dude!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

Lol. Oh sh!t, word is out....

You'll definitely be getting a ride on it; I need the weight up front to keep the boat on plane ;) So STOP DIETING.
Stinkypeter
polespearo

Postby BigJim » October 15th, 2015, 11:54 am

Stinkypeter wrote:
BigJim wrote:I want a ride dude!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

Lol. Oh sh!t, word is out....

You'll definitely be getting a ride on it; I need the weight up front to keep the boat on plane ;) So STOP DIETING.

LOL!!!! We can put my Orion Cooler full of beer up front with me on top of it...that should do it. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Stoked for you dude and looking forward to checking it out!

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » October 15th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Here is a picture of a picture (scanner down) of my old GR Mk3 on one of my solo runs to Catalina. It would pound so hard running in big chop that the compass would just spin. Stars would be my waypoint coming home in the dark, some times I would slow way down to get on a heading. One time I lost a water pump at the oil islands and rowed back to Long Beach.....My boat now has a kicker. ;)

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Return to Boat Maintenance