Broken axel

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Broken axel

Postby VangysWay » October 19th, 2015, 2:59 pm

To start, I'm a rookie, so bear with me. I have a double axel trailer and the back right axel totally snapped off. So now I have two wheels on the left and one on the right. It's about 1/2" off the ground on the right side.

I had some people come look at it and basically told me because of how rusted the trailer was, it wasn't worth welding a new axel on and that it would probably happen again in due time.

That being said, I now have my 23' foot boat sitting on a broken trailer in front of my house and have no idea how to move it. I think I'm going to just either slip it in Channel Islands or San Pedro, but of course can not get through to the San Pedro people and have been calling for two weeks now.

Any ideas or companies that anyone knows of that could transport the boat for me?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
VangysWay
kook

Re: Broken axel

Postby cksea » October 20th, 2015, 10:09 am

even if you put it in a slip you are still going to want a trailer, haulouts are expensive. Fix it.

never seen a trailer with a welded on axle...maybe a spindle. you should just measure flange to flange, order the closest stock axle and bolt it on or go custom. You didnt mention brakes so I am assuming this axle doesnt have them. If they are both the original axles the 2nd isnt far behind.

Make sure the new axle has the same spindles that fit your existing hubs. This may also be a good opportunity to get new hubs, I recommend the ones pre greased that come assembled with bearings. Also a good time to get new springs and ubolts, you may want to replace those bunks too... If you dont have a sawzall get one and dont go cheap on the blades.
cksea
spearo

Postby chris oak » October 20th, 2015, 10:36 am

Alex do you have a picture of the trailer? I'm thinking you will probably have to have that trailer fixed enough that you can transport it to the closest launch ramp and launch it, or have it in working order where the towing company can put it on a flatbed. Either way it looks like you are going to have to get it to a launch ramp and store it. I'm sure there are companies that can crane it onto a flatbed with some sort of bunks but I'd bet that would cost a fortune.

Once you have a picture of the trailer I would hit up thehulltruth.com or the like to find someone who has had the same problem. The one good thing about the internet is that someone has had the same problem as you before and often can shorten the learning curve to fix it.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby VangysWay » October 20th, 2015, 3:31 pm

I very well may have misunderstood the "welding on an axle." That is correct, no trailer breaks, and as far as I'm aware it is the original welded on axle.

First trailer I've owned and consequently, the first problems I've had with one... A good lesson for me to actually do some homework before you actually buy something. Oh well, I'll continue to learn on the go I suppose.

Anyways, thank you both for your advice. I am going to take some pictures tonight and will post them thereafter. Also, definitely going to jump on thehulltruth.com as well..

Thanks guys!!
VangysWay
kook

Postby Highliner » October 23rd, 2015, 9:24 pm

If you get to the point where you want to buy another trailer, lemme know. I have a double axle, galvanized trailer 101% ready that will fit up to a 24'. $1200 and I can run it down for a tank of diesel. I'm getting a 30' and need the space. info@highlinerboats.us
HighlinerCustomBoats
Highliner
spearo

Return to Boat Maintenance