Outboard Won't start...

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Outboard Won't start...

Postby MastaBlasta » December 10th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Hey,

I have a 1975 70hp Evinrude that ran amazing until my boat almost sank. I've replaced all the coils, stater and starter solenoid, new spark plugs, and replaced some of the wiring. I can get the motor to turn over, but I believe that the first cylinder has a small amount of water in it, due to the small amount of dirty sludge like material that ends up on the spark plug. Do you any of you know an honest mechanic, that can possibly get this engine back to running condition? The boat is currently moored on Lido Isle... Thanks fellas
Respectfully,
Will Silvey
MastaBlasta
noob

Re: Outboard Won't start...

Postby chris oak » December 10th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Is that Newport Beach? If you are looking for a mobile mechanic here's a few:

James Obrien: (714) 349-4204. I forgot about him until Christos reminded me about him, he did the maintainance on my 4stroke yamaha on my old whaler, great guy and fair priced.
There was another guy that Paul Romanowski recommended, he's in anaheim somewhere but you'll have to do a google search on spearboard. Paul always raved about him but I fixed my motor myself and never ended up calling him.

If you have a cylinder that has water be prepared to hear the worst, if you are lucky it's a gasket and if you are unlucky you have a cracked head.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby MastaBlasta » December 11th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Thank you Chris for the information! I'll keep you posted. Hopefully it works out! Btw, great party last month!
Respectfully,
Will Silvey
MastaBlasta
noob

Postby Calwaterman » December 12th, 2015, 8:53 pm

MastaBlasta wrote:Hey,

I have a 1975 70hp Evinrude that ran amazing until my boat almost sank. I've replaced all the coils, stater and starter solenoid, new spark plugs, and replaced some of the wiring. I can get the motor to turn over, but I believe that the first cylinder has a small amount of water in it, due to the small amount of dirty sludge like material that ends up on the spark plug. Do you any of you know an honest mechanic, that can possibly get this engine back to running condition? The boat is currently moored on Lido Isle... Thanks fellas

THis guy seems pretty straightforward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AynXoLjYrKc
Cody
Calwaterman
spearo

Return to Boat Maintenance