HELP over heating outboard

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

HELP over heating outboard

Postby stoneshotkilla » October 6th, 2017, 6:49 pm

hi guys, so i have a 225 saltwater series 2 1997 yamaha.... it is a great motor being an efi 2 stroke. my issue is when im below 1400 rpm just in gear it over heats and i have to rev up the motor for about 30 seconds to cool it. this is extremely irritating when hoop netting or cruising the marinas. anyone have this issue or know the remedy?
stoneshotkilla
noob

Re: HELP over heating outboard

Postby Bamz » October 6th, 2017, 11:37 pm

When was the last time the impeller was replaced? That would be my first thought, replace the impeller.
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Alex Ray » October 7th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Check the thermostat. If it's corroded or crusted with salt that might be it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby castronova » October 8th, 2017, 7:43 am

Those are definitely the first two things to do. If the thermostats haven’t been changed you should probably do those anyways. They are really cheap and super easy to change, 3 bolts right on top of the head (usually).
castronova
prick

Postby Freeryde » October 18th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Thermostat
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby chris oak » October 21st, 2017, 3:13 pm

castronova wrote:Those are definitely the first two things to do. If the thermostats haven’t been changed you should probably do those anyways. They are really cheap and super easy to change, 3 bolts right on top of the head (usually).

My thoughts as well, you also want to make sure the telltell is clear of debris. On my honda there was a lot of sand in it, on the honda at work we also had some of the minerals flake off the inside of the hoses and plug it up. I keep a long piece of shooting mono on my boat in case this ever happens when I'm at sea.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Boat Maintenance