Dive Gloves

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Dive Gloves

Postby chris oak » September 12th, 2020, 12:29 pm

For those of you who abuse your gloves, which gloves are you using? I'm looking for a 3mm glove with a kevlar, supratex or rhinohyde finger/palm, mainly because I use the gloves all year round and the bugs tear them up in the winter. Speargun bands tear them up year round, usually a good pair of kevlar lasts a year tops and thats after coating the hard hit areas with shoe goo.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Dive Gloves

Postby Steve G » September 12th, 2020, 6:58 pm

In my opinion they all suck. We may have favorites, but those are just the gloves that suck a little less.

This is a niche in the market where somebody has an opportunity to make a quality product and blow the rest away.
Steve G
kook

Postby 32juan » September 12th, 2020, 9:35 pm

I have been using the hexarmor 4018 gloves for a few years now. I know Mori sold them, but I'm not sure if he still does. They are puncture and cut resistant, and fit pretty well. They don't have a lot of insulation, but they're better than the mesh ones. The synthetic leather palms are the first to go, but the cut resistant lining has never failed me. I pick up lobster with no fear of getting picked. You can even crush urchins with these things. Only downside I've found is availability. Finding a size 9/Large at a decent price is difficult. Maybe it's the supply chain breaking down, I don't know.
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
kook

Postby NaClAddict » September 14th, 2020, 6:04 pm

I saw Argos is making gloves. Might be worth looking into.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby scorpaenichthys » September 14th, 2020, 6:20 pm

My favorite dive gloves I've ever owned were a set of ScubaPro Tropics (I think 1.5mm?) with amara palms and fingers. Usually I blow through a set of gloves in 6 months to a year, but I got two or three years out of my last set of ScubaPros. They're thin, but I thought they were warm enough for Monterey Bay year-round. Only time I ever got cold was in Puget Sound when the water dipped into the low 40s. I'm not sure if they're still made the same way, but those gloves took everything I could throw at them--urchins (would poke through now and again), bugs, abalone, hanging onto reefs in heavy surge, rock climbing in Big Sur, you name it. And you can get 'em in pink ;)

scorpaenichthys
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » September 15th, 2020, 3:25 pm

year after year I tell you what you're looking for Chris. It's the Body Glove (now called Triton model).

probably out of your price range at around $45 but well worth it. Kevlar coated, glued seams, extra warm with plenty of dexterity. I'm not man enough to wear non insulated and the rest of the gloves (especially kevlar) are crap.

I'll give you a used pair to use if you swing by the pad and pick them up. You'll never go back and you'll whine every time you buy them but you'll love them.

John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » September 15th, 2020, 10:56 pm

I made a Real Nice pair of gloves one time for Rob Allen, but, after speaking with the NZ Abalone Divers who were testing all the equipment they said they prefer to use a pair of Spider Gloves (high dexterity neoprene gloves. Cressi makes some, we also made these for Rob Allen) and then just put on some Utility Gloves like you'd find at any Home Depot over them.
Behslayer
prick

Postby mori » September 15th, 2020, 11:13 pm

Yes Juan, I still sell them. I have limited supply, though. Once they're out, they're out. They're $ 45. plus $5 shipping, tax. Email me at morifish@aol.com, with a shipping address, if you are interested in a pair, and I'll send you a paypal request.

These Hexarmor gloves are industrial safety gloves for people working with sharp objects on a daily basis. These stretch quite a bit when they get wet, so if you normally wear large, you'll need a medium. Whatever your glove size is, get one size smaller.

I got these because I hate coming back home with battle scars after a night of lobster diving. I sometimes get painful urchin spines under my fingernails when I thrust my hands into a hole after a lobster. Not anymore with these. The multi-layered ceramic fabric is super puncture resistant. My hands gets cold sometimes, but it’s a small sacrifice for the amount of safety it provides me. I once got bit by a large pargo and I was sure the teeth got through, but luckily it was just pain from the pressure of the bite, .. no punctures..

For spearfishing, especially in cold weather, I use neoprene gloves like most people. Keeping your hands warm attributes a lot to staying warm throughout your body.

Here's a short video of me playing with a urchin..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXwhiEb ... l=morifish

Mori
mori
Mori

Postby NaClAddict » September 17th, 2020, 6:29 pm

The bodyglove titans do not fit my hand well. Aqualung made a nice Kevlar glove but you had to glue the seams if you wanted them to be warm, otherwise the water would just flow through. I liked that aqualung gloves had Kevlar that wrapped over the fingernail since it’s usually where I wear them out.
NaClAddict
spearo

Return to Guns & Gear