Wetsuit recommendations

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Wetsuit recommendations

Postby Xalgen » September 16th, 2020, 11:20 am

Hello everybody. I'm relatively new to spearfishing and have been just using a regular surfing wetsuit. But I've done it enough to graduate to a new camo wetsuit. I was wondering how thick and what brand I should get. I'm a fairly warm person as it is and living in San Diego, CA I am kind of torn on what to buy. Any suggestions? All the best and happy spearing.
Xalgen
noob

Re: Wetsuit recommendations

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 16th, 2020, 12:29 pm

I have to get custom suits for my strange body so I’ll leave it to others to recommend brands but you should get a 5 mm to start. A lot us us use 7 mm in the winter but a well fitting 5 might get you through.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby NaClAddict » September 17th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Go to a good spearfishing store. Get the one that fits best. If you’re new to freediving suits, ask for a durable one since they are fragile compared to scuba or surf suits. 5mm gets it done in SoCal all year long if you don’t get cold easily.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby chris oak » September 17th, 2020, 8:07 pm

NaClAddict wrote:Go to a good spearfishing store. Get the one that fits best. If you’re new to freediving suits, ask for a durable one since they are fragile compared to scuba or surf suits. 5mm gets it done in SoCal all year long if you don’t get cold easily.

Yah greg has solid advice, call your local freediving shop and see if they will let you try a suit on if you are buying from them. Otherwise its a crapshoot on fit. I'm 5'11 165lbs. I wear off the rack L on jbl and bodyglove. A Medium on spetton and seac. A XL on Yazbek. And a flipping XXL on immersion. The euro suits are often cut a lot smaller and it really depends on the maker. Custom suits are a lot more expensive but youll get a guranteed fit.

As for thickness it depends on how cold you get and how much natural insulation you have :). I'm sure age plays a part too because I'm cold all the freaking time, I wear a 5mm when it's above 64 degrees, otherwise its 7mm below that. Even then I'll get cold after two hours underwater. Each manufacturer may use a diff grade of neoprene (yamamoto, sheico etc) and the sofer more supple ones tear easier and also compress faster so there's always a give n take.

If you are shore diving, I always go with ones with reinforced knee and elbow pads and of course a chest loading pad. Farmer Johns are typically warmer than high waist pants, but are harder to take off when you have to take a dump.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 18th, 2020, 6:26 am

This is a bit off topic but I’m picking up a custom high waist suit today and I’m wondering how to handle the pants. With a farmer John you can hang it by the shoulder straps to let it dry but I’m not sure how to hang a high waist suit.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Donzi Paul » September 18th, 2020, 6:29 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:This is a bit off topic but I’m picking up a custom high waist suit today and I’m wondering how to handle the pants. With a farmer John you can hang it by the shoulder straps to let it dry but I’m not sure how to hang a high waist suit.

I use a wood slat clamp hanger on the top part. Looks real classy too :hsdance:

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 18th, 2020, 10:21 am

Good idea Don. I must have one of those clamp hangers hanging in a closet somewhere.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Guns & Gear