Shark Shield Tethering

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Shark Shield Tethering

Postby chris oak » June 19th, 2020, 9:07 pm

So the water has cleared up enough that I finally got to test out the shark shield. I am only going to use this on pelagics, not in kelp beds where (hopefully) the chance on meeting whitey again are slimmer. In case you are wondering, no it doesn't negatively effect the fish. I watched the blacksmith carefully and they still flittered around my feet, this occurred when I turned the unit on or off.

When I was reading up on tethering, I noticed that the number one complaint by freedivers is the electrified antennae shocking them during our duck dive when we are inverting to dive under the water.  I know that Ocean Guardian advises divers that they can tether it with zip ties etc, but it would probably help to fabricate something better. One of the guys on facebook emailed me some pix of his method of using fishing mono where you put the mono thru the covering of the whip, make a loop and then drill a hole in your fin where you attach another loop and connect the two with lighter mono.

On my initial run I ran mono thru the mesh protector on the shield and made a loop with 60 lb mono.  I also drilled a hole thru the tip of my fin and made another loop of mono.  These two loops were connected via 15 lb fishing line, the idea being if something hung up I could yank the fin and break the line free.  The idea worked great, I had zero shocks throughout the day and I was careful to watch the antennae as I dove.  The only problem was when the loop came untied and I saw the antennae heading towards my head so I immediately reverted myself and went to my boat and retied the mono.

I was thinking about it today and the easiest solution was to buy the biggest zip tie and put it on the shield antennae where the mono was.  The mono idea was okay, but it was actually damaging the mesh sheath that was covering the shark shield.  I cut the zip tie and then rounded the edges by cutting them and then burning them so there is no sharp edge.  I then drilled a small hole in the end of the zip tie.  I also cut the mono loop off my fin and replaced it with a dynema one as mono has a tendency to untie when you are making loops.  I am pretty confident this will work, right now I'll try it with 15 lb mono connecting the zip tie and dynema.

I am also trying to figure out how to make a removable connection between the loop and the zip tie that is easily removed so the fin doesn't have to be tethered to the shield. Something like a very small plastic snap of sorts.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Shark Shield Tethering

Postby Donzi Paul » June 20th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Chris, with as many as you see I would get the the wrist and ankle bands along with this whale shark wetsuit.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » June 22nd, 2020, 1:30 pm

Chris have you zapped yourself yet? You may want to stay away from carbon fins.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Lee Van Cleef » June 22nd, 2020, 4:04 pm

Lee Van Cleef
polespearo

Postby chris oak » June 23rd, 2020, 9:19 pm

Don, not yet knock on wood. That tether works perfectly so far, it's long enough to dangle below my fins but when I invert it never has hit me or the fins. I think the carbon fiber fins are insulated with resin well enough to not conduct.

Lee, thanks a ton. Those clips were a little too big but it put me on the right track and I found these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-10Pcs ... SwEwZc2o~T

even these might be a tad too big, I'm almost sure I've seen smaller ones on crappy throw away clips for brochures and stuff. In fact now that I think about it, a very small reusable zip tie might work.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » June 24th, 2020, 6:34 am

Chris I have some small velcro capture bands I use for boat loom wiring. You can double wrap a single strap and they are quite secure. Where did you source your unit from? Thanks

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » June 25th, 2020, 6:33 am

Chris, here is the strap triple wrapped.

Cheers Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby chris oak » June 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Donzi Paul wrote:Chris, here is the strap triple wrapped.

Cheers Don

Thanks Don, I have some of those and I'll try them out. I also saw these very thin zip ties, like the ones they use on your xmas trees, I'm thinking those might work a bit better in case I need to break the connection in case I get tied up to something.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » June 28th, 2020, 9:02 am

Thanks Chris.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby gringo sushi » July 10th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Thanks for that Chris! I'll have to try that.

I thought I was just going to have to get used to being shocked, haha
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby chris oak » July 11th, 2020, 9:36 am

I talked to the folks at shark shield, they said there is a prototype that is almost ready for development that will tether the shocking part. They said they had to halt it cuz of the covid problems but my guess it will be up soon.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » July 11th, 2020, 10:47 am

Thats great Chris,,Thanks
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby NORCALer » September 11th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Chris-any word on the SS tether? Sent them an email but still waiting to hear back from them. Thx. T
NORCALer
noob

Postby Donzi Paul » September 11th, 2020, 4:09 pm

I'm just going to wrap mine around my chest in case a ever need a jump. :eek:

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby chris oak » September 11th, 2020, 7:51 pm

NORCALer wrote:Chris-any word on the SS tether? Sent them an email but still waiting to hear back from them. Thx. T

I have not heard yet, they said it would probably be later because of covid, I'm guessing that means next year :(.

My tether works great, but occasionally the zip tie breaks on its own.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » September 11th, 2020, 9:04 pm

gringo sushi wrote:Thanks for that Chris! I'll have to try that.

Hey Todd, how is the shock...I hope it doesn't make me pee me suit. :D

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Adam Sachs » September 14th, 2020, 11:54 am

Donzi Paul wrote:
gringo sushi wrote:Thanks for that Chris! I'll have to try that.

Hey Todd, how is the shock...I hope it doesn't make me pee me suit. :D

Cheers, Don

You'll probably maintain control of bodily functions but it definitely gets your attention.

When I worked on the Vision I was helping a SCUBA diver up the swim step and didn't realize he had one coiled up against his back plate. I reached around to grab his tank and *ZAP*! I instinctively pulled my hand back and was bewildered about what just happened until he walked up the stairs and I noticed the device. I had no lingering effects but also wouldn't volunteer to do it again.
Adam Sachs
spearo

Postby chris oak » September 14th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Yah I'm really conscious about watching the whip when I flatten out. I've never been shocked and don't want to have it happen when I'm deep.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » September 14th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Thanks guys, mine will be here in a couple days, I try getting zapped on dry land so I know what to expect. :eek3dance:

Cheers; Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » September 19th, 2020, 9:05 am

I have left over black haplon rubber and expensive glue so I tried a different approach to Shark Shield tethering. The antenna just slips into the loops and lays onto the fin blade, making the chance of entanglement less then looping outward along side the fin. This rail position is in a cleaner spot hydro dynamically as well. I tried it in the and there were no noises or squeaks.

When my son Dillon is fishing he can hang the antenna off the bow just in case Whitey thinks the black boat is a dead whale. :eek:

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby chris oak » September 19th, 2020, 12:08 pm

looks good don, let us know how it works out!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » September 19th, 2020, 1:26 pm

chris oak wrote:looks good don, let us know how it works out!

Thanks, will do.

D
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby NORCALer » September 25th, 2020, 9:54 am

Hey Don-what type/brand of expensive glue do you have? Your fin-hack looks good. Will scrounge up some hypalon. Thx. Tommy
PS I’ve gotten shocked a few times-sure gets your attention/pretty harmless but sure let’s you know it’s on!
NORCALer
noob

Postby Donzi Paul » September 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm

NORCALer wrote:Hey Don-what type/brand of expensive glue do you have? Your fin-hack looks good. Will scrounge up some hypalon. Thx. Tommy
PS I’ve gotten shocked a few times-sure gets your attention/pretty harmless but sure let’s you know it’s on!

I use Zodiac Z7098 CSN glue it is 94 bucks for 750ML. Weaver glue for hypalon is the next best glue at about 50 bucks. I would sand the carbon fin blade with 220 grit paper including the hypalon strips before gluing.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » September 27th, 2020, 8:13 am

Took the shark shield on a log swim yesterday, after a 100 meters I made a adjustment with a stout hair tie I found in the car. While swimming I had no shocks on dives and never knew the unit was there at all,no squeaks. I will add a couple bait stickers at the tail end. :D I'll substitute the hair tie for a Oring before next dive.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » September 28th, 2020, 4:55 pm

I couldn't resist....I hope a seal doesn't bite it...it will get a big surprise. :D

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby chris oak » October 4th, 2020, 8:11 pm

lol that's a pretty cool idea, I might have to copy that one.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » October 5th, 2020, 7:02 am

chris oak wrote:lol that's a pretty cool idea, I might have to copy that one.

I also added a couple flasher tape ring but I don;t want to get carried away.... by a big Mako :ugh:

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby John Hughes » October 6th, 2020, 3:32 pm

since we are talking about sharks and shields, I'll tell you a funny story.

Last week I was diving with the Oakamoto shark magnet himself. He didn't bring his shield. We had a couple fish on board and he decided to give it one more go. There were some kook fishermen anchored next to us and as soon as Chris got in the water they dumped a big chum bucket in the water and started splashing it up and down to really get it going. I figured since the diving had been pretty good ol' Chris would have a fish in no time so I didn't need to warn him. After about an hour he got out without a fish and I told him what had been happening. I didn't know if he wanted to hit me or the kooks next door. I think he was a bit surprised he didn't get eaten that day. :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Donzi Paul » October 6th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Too Funny,,, :D :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cheers,Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » October 26th, 2020, 10:40 am

My friend in Florida told me he would give a good deal on the Freedom 7 Shark Shield to any of my friends. I wish i would have waited and bought a new one with a warranty cheaper then what I paid for a used one. https://spearfishing.store/ocean-guardi ... -freedom-7

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby SeaG » November 24th, 2020, 3:44 am

Hey guys,
Just wondering, do these have any affect on the fish you're hunting? Have you seen a change in their behavior or your success landing fish since using the units?
Also, the big question, do they work?

Thanks!
SeaG
noob

Postby Donzi Paul » November 24th, 2020, 7:11 am

SeaGm the bait fish have been completely unafected.. hope I don't get a chance to see if they work.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby chris oak » November 24th, 2020, 9:02 am

SeaG wrote:Hey guys,
Just wondering, do these have any affect on the fish you're hunting? Have you seen a change in their behavior or your success landing fish since using the units?
Also, the big question, do they work?

Thanks!

Yah I concur with Don Paul, I have shot yellowtail wearing it with no change in fish behavior. Fish don't have an electrical receptor like the shark/ray families do. I was worried that the whip would tangle in my floatline but that hasn't been a problem either.

They work
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » November 24th, 2020, 9:05 am

John Hughes wrote:since we are talking about sharks and shields, I'll tell you a funny story.

Last week I was diving with the Oakamoto shark magnet himself. He didn't bring his shield. We had a couple fish on board and he decided to give it one more go. There were some kook fishermen anchored next to us and as soon as Chris got in the water they dumped a big chum bucket in the water and started splashing it up and down to really get it going. I figured since the diving had been pretty good ol' Chris would have a fish in no time so I didn't need to warn him. After about an hour he got out without a fish and I told him what had been happening. I didn't know if he wanted to hit me or the kooks next door. I think he was a bit surprised he didn't get eaten that day. :rofl:

Thats a real friend right there lol :madrun: :madrun: :rofl:
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby SeaG » November 24th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I will be looking into this for sure. I think it would make me feel better on those murky days when you get that spooky feeling.
SeaG
noob

Postby chris oak » November 24th, 2020, 8:15 pm

The problem with white sharks is their numbers are going to keep increasing until we hit that carrying capacity for food/space. Since there's a ton of sea lions there is a surplus of food and without nearshore gill nets, the juvie gws are growing to adult gws. There have been a lot of close calls this year but I am shocked that we haven't had more hits among freedivers and surfers.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Jon McMullen » November 25th, 2020, 11:50 am

Donzi Paul wrote:My friend in Florida told me he would give a good deal on the Freedom 7 Shark Shield to any of my friends. I wish i would have waited and bought a new one with a warranty cheaper then what I paid for a used one. https://spearfishing.store/ocean-guardi ... -freedom-7

Cheers, Don

Hi Don - I may take you up on this offer at some point. I’m a new dad and it’s making me rethink some of the (avoidable) risks I take while spearfishing. Never really considered one of these in the past but maybe it’s time.

I recall diving w Todd Gringo Sushi on the front side last year and he slapped one of these on before we jumped in. I’m not sure if anyone else has experienced the same, but it kinda messes w your mind when your dive buddy has one and you don’t...
Jon McMullen
noob

Postby John Hughes » November 25th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Jon McMullen wrote:
Donzi Paul wrote:My friend in Florida told me he would give a good deal on the Freedom 7 Shark Shield to any of my friends. I wish i would have waited and bought a new one with a warranty cheaper then what I paid for a used one. https://spearfishing.store/ocean-guardi ... -freedom-7

Cheers, Don

Hi Don - I may take you up on this offer at some point. I’m a new dad and it’s making me rethink some of the (avoidable) risks I take while spearfishing. Never really considered one of these in the past but maybe it’s time.

I recall diving w Todd Gringo Sushi on the front side last year and he slapped one of these on before we jumped in. I’m not sure if anyone else has experienced the same, but it kinda messes w your mind when your dive buddy has one and you don’t...

All you gotta do is dive with Oak. You absolutely KNOW that thing is going after him first. :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Donzi Paul » November 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Jon let me know when you are ready I can save you a 100 bucks.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Jon McMullen » November 25th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Donzi Paul wrote:Jon let me know when you are ready I can save you a 100 bucks.

Cheers, Don

Thanks Don - much appreciated and I’ll be reaching out soon hopefully!
Jon McMullen
noob

Postby Donzi Paul » November 26th, 2020, 8:02 am

Your welcome mate,

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby SeaG » January 7th, 2021, 4:22 am

Has anybody ordered one of these lately? I hear they are on a 6 month back order.

Also, Any word on this prototype Chris?

Thanks!
SeaG
noob

Postby Randy_Mora » January 7th, 2021, 8:38 am

SeaG, I very been waiting for mine since October of last year, from what I heard Ocean Guardian will be releasing there new product with the anti shock within the coming months, they are releasing them in batches of 400 per vendor, so some may wait longer than others, I maybe receiving mine by end of the month
Randy_Mora
noob

Postby Jon McMullen » January 7th, 2021, 1:48 pm

Randy_Mora wrote:SeaG, I very been waiting for mine since October of last year, from what I heard Ocean Guardian will be releasing there new product with the anti shock within the coming months, they are releasing them in batches of 400 per vendor, so some may wait longer than others, I maybe receiving mine by end of the month

Hi Randy - are you are talking about a newer product and not the Freedom 7? If so, do you have any info/pics you can share? Much appreciated.
Jon McMullen
noob

Postby Randy_Mora » January 7th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Hey Jon this is a newer version this is what I got i purchased the shark shield from Nautilus: I've been dealing with Andrew and he's been helpful. I do not have pictures just i know there will be a wait lists

This was the last update we got from them.
The new units will have the anti-zap feature from my last conversation with or rep Amanda. SO that should be good news
Randy_Mora
noob

Postby SeaG » January 7th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Randy_Mora wrote:SeaG, I very been waiting for mine since October of last year, from what I heard Ocean Guardian will be releasing there new product with the anti shock within the coming months, they are releasing them in batches of 400 per vendor, so some may wait longer than others, I maybe receiving mine by end of the month

Thanks for the info Randy, I appreciate it. I saw on instagram that Blue water hunter dive shop in Santa Barbara got a small batch and sold out in less than an hour. Must be good kit if everybody is rocking them.

It would be nice to have peace of mind while diving backside SCI, without getting zapped randomly.
SeaG
noob

Return to Guns & Gear