Hi vis 300 pound mono source

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 18th, 2016, 11:11 am

Since I'm never content to stick with what works, I'd like to try 300 pound mono to see if it improves range and accuracy as some have said, but I'm reluctant to give up the high visibility of my 400 pound Momoi. Does anyone know of a source for 300 pound in a color easy to see in the murky kelp?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby NaClAddict » December 18th, 2016, 12:43 pm

I know you can DIY with Rit Dye. Weird board had a thread and a kid turned vendor also.
NaClAddict
spearo
 
Posts: 323
Joined: August 2013

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Neptonics » December 18th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Bill we only have 200 and 400 in high viz but have some 300lb in blue/red that we've had good results with.

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/mono.php
https://www.instagram.com/neptonics_worldwide/

Quality you can trust from North America's Biggest Spearfishing Retailer.


Image
User avatar
Neptonics
spearo
 
Posts: 229
Joined: November 2015
Location: U.S.A

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Freeryde » December 19th, 2016, 5:51 pm

Bill I tried some of the neptonics 200lb high vis and it certainly did improve power and range significantly. I still use it when I'm expecting to shoot smaller fish but I did have a new line setup of the 200lb break on me in Florida after shooting an 80lb amberjack. I lost a new Moro shaft and sliptip and a stud AJ. I thought you were using the hollow spectra?
Joe Newlon
User avatar
Freeryde
sea slayer
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: July 2013

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 20th, 2016, 9:06 am

Freeryde wrote:Bill I tried some of the neptonics 200lb high vis and it certainly did improve power and range significantly. I still use it when I'm expecting to shoot smaller fish but I did have a new line setup of the 200lb break on me in Florida after shooting an 80lb amberjack. I lost a new Moro shaft and sliptip and a stud AJ. I thought you were using the hollow spectra?


Joe, I'm out of town on my phone and don't know how to post a link to another thread, but I answered your question about the hollow spectra on October 31 in the Abbelan Gun Evolution thread.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby phil herranen » December 20th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Just use the rite dye made for nylon , very fast and ez to do . The yellow moimoi stuff is too soft anyway
User avatar
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns
 
Posts: 823
Joined: July 2013
Location: santa cruz

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 20th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Is there dye specifically made for nylon? Where would I get it? Do I start with clear mono?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby phil herranen » December 20th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Is there dye specifically made for nylon? Where would I get it? Do I start with clear mono?

It's somewhat new . You can use normal rit dye and add vinigar for synthetics

http://www.acherryontop.com/shop/produc ... fgode00D6A


How I do it is get a tub and add a the dye and warm water , then just drop in the mono and let it sit overnight . You can store the dye liquid and use it over and over .
User avatar
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns
 
Posts: 823
Joined: July 2013
Location: santa cruz

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby manoamatt » December 20th, 2016, 8:13 pm

I've had success dying clear mono yellow with the regular Rit dye without adding vinegar. I just added the powder to about a gallon of warm water and let it sit for a few days. After a few dives and a few years its still the same color.
Attachments
User avatar
manoamatt
polespearo
 
Posts: 41
Joined: March 2014
Location: United States of America, Hawaii, Oahu, Honolulu, Manoa

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 21st, 2016, 11:22 am

Thanks guys. I'll try dyeing clear mono.

Many years ago Ron Mullins, who is anal about all aspects of rigging, told me I should use Softsteel Ultra, a clear mono that is super supple and the thinnest for it's strengh. So I tried it and it seemed very nice until I had a White Sea bass wrapped up at 45 feet. I couldn't see the mono and got all tangled up and scared the shit out if myself. I decided I didn't care how soft and thin it was and threw the rest of it away.

Unless someone has a better suggestion I think I'll try dyeing some of that brand. I can have supple and thin and still be able to see it.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 8th, 2017, 11:20 am

phil herranen wrote:
Bill McIntyre wrote:Is there dye specifically made for nylon? Where would I get it? Do I start with clear mono?

It's somewhat new . You can use normal rit dye and add vinigar for synthetics

http://www.acherryontop.com/shop/produc ... fgode00D6A


How I do it is get a tub and add a the dye and warm water , then just drop in the mono and let it sit overnight . You can store the dye liquid and use it over and over .


My dye finally arrived. The directions say to heat water to 180° to 212° but of course they are talking about fabric. Is it safe to use that temp on mono? is it necessary?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby phil herranen » January 8th, 2017, 11:24 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:
phil herranen wrote:
Bill McIntyre wrote:Is there dye specifically made for nylon? Where would I get it? Do I start with clear mono?

It's somewhat new . You can use normal rit dye and add vinigar for synthetics

http://www.acherryontop.com/shop/produc ... fgode00D6A


How I do it is get a tub and add a the dye and warm water , then just drop in the mono and let it sit overnight . You can store the dye liquid and use it over and over .


My dye finally arrived. The directions say to heat water to 180° to 212° but of course they are talking about fabric. Is it safe to use that temp on mono? is it necessary?

You don't need to , I just use hot tap water and then let it sit for a day or two , I've cut the mono and the dye went all the way to the center
User avatar
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns
 
Posts: 823
Joined: July 2013
Location: santa cruz

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 8th, 2017, 11:25 am

Thanks.

BTW, I went to the comments section on one of majdq8's youtube videos and asked him if his pool tests showed any difference in performance between 300 and 400 pound mono. He said it probably didn't matter much unless you were using a thin shaft, like maybe 7 mm. My Abellans have 8 mm and 8.5 mm shafts, so maybe it doesn't matter but now that I have the 300 pound stuff, I might as well try it. And maybe it would help on my Wongs that shoot 9/32" shafts.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby phil herranen » January 8th, 2017, 11:35 am

Heating to higher Temps ,heat sets the "stain "on the fabric so it can withstand numerous washings with detergent designed to remove stains .

For us it just needs to hold color in the water for its useable life wich is really only around 10 to 50 hours of use depending on how may fish we shoot and how often it's changed
User avatar
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns
 
Posts: 823
Joined: July 2013
Location: santa cruz

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 10th, 2017, 1:49 pm

My mono didn't turn out to be very dark yellow. I'm afraid it might blend in with the kelp, but I guess I'll have to try it out to be sure.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Freeryde » January 11th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Looks good to me Bill. I think the yellow starts to show up better the deeper it is under water???
Joe Newlon
User avatar
Freeryde
sea slayer
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: July 2013

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 12th, 2017, 6:59 am

Thanks Joe. I hope you're right.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby NaClAddict » November 24th, 2017, 8:51 am

Digging up an old topic here, Bill how did the color work out against the kelp? Seems the Soft Steel colored different from the other pics in posts.

Also, I thought Soft Steel was out of production? Old spool?
NaClAddict
spearo
 
Posts: 323
Joined: August 2013

Re: Hi vis 300 pound mono source

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 24th, 2017, 9:15 am

NaClAddict wrote:Digging up an old topic here, Bill how did the color work out against the kelp? Seems the Soft Steel colored different from the other pics in posts.

Also, I thought Soft Steel was out of production? Old spool?


It didn't work very well. I quit using it. Its not nearly so visible as the Momoi stuff. I don't know whether I was just getting old stock, but I found the Soft Steel with Google.

But since that old post, I've found something else that is very visible.
https://benthicoceansports.com/collecti ... ff-dyneema


This stiff dyneema from Benthic is very strong for its diameter, doesn't take a set around the line release or line guide, and can be crimped just like mono. Other spectra/dyneema lines I've tried were too limp and and felt like a spider web, but this stuff is stiff enough to manage. Its a lot harder to cut than mono too. The guy from Benthic told me he shot a cobia using the 1.9 mm line and it went around the leg of an oil rig. It sawed the barnacles off the rig without being cut. I have some of the 1.4 mm on a smaller gun and some 1.7 mm on a larger one. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but so far I like it.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
User avatar
Bill McIntyre
billie mac
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: July 2013
Location: San Clemente, CA


Return to Guns & Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

  • Supported by