Spearfishing Lines Cut Test

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Spearfishing Lines Cut Test

Postby Behslayer » April 5th, 2017, 10:58 am

A few quick cut tests on some of the common lines we may encounter in our own and our buddies spearfishing gear.

It's important to understand that this is done on land, with gravity, with a non moving vice, etc. In the water is much different. You're under the constraint of time, sometimes you would be getting dragged, or maybe not have perfect access to the line, etc.

The general take away for me is that all divers should carry a knife. I'm a minimalist with what I like to bring in the water, but if you are going to be using cable, you and your buddies should also be carrying shears. Whatever you are using, you should test cutting some lines with it on land. It literally only takes one minute. With Knives, big serrations are not your friend and will catch on all lines, but smaller more rounded serrations can help to saw through ropes, mono,and cable. A Super Sharp Flat blade can also be good but I didn't test here. This is a simple Bait knife, but it's sharp. I keep one of these up my left sleeve as a secondary knife. I just wrap it in a simple sheath and put it up my sleeve sticking out a little. These are fairly heavy duty shop scissors I use for cutting bands. As you can see. Cable takes about twice as long to cut through with a knife in this perfect situation where you actually cut in the same place on the line. Dyneema and Mono are relatively easy to cut with a knife.

With Scissors Mono and cable cut readily. But, dyneema being soft and fibrous can be harder to cut with scissors than cable. The point of this thread is not to recommend one line as better than the other, only to show their differences when it comes to cutting using knife and scissors.

300lb Mono
400lb Mono
Orange and Black is 1.4mm Dyneema
White is 1.6mm Monocore Dyneema
Yellow is 2.5mm Dyneema Reel Line
Grey is 1.4mm OD Coated Cable
Yellow is 1.7mm OD Coated Cable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=silB87VbuhY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mu-LfAcQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y84RNWfP0Ok
Behslayer
spearo

Re: Spearfishing Lines Cut Test

Postby chris oak » April 5th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Thanks Jon, was the knife a dexter sani safe knife? I need to start carrying a backup knife in case things go wrong, it's also good to keep in mind that the knife has to be sharp and that you have to have tension on that shooting line when you are cutting it. When I'm cutting out a fish out of kelp it's pretty easy to take my time and unclip the shooting line or breathe up and cut the line if I have to.

If I get caught up in that shooting line by a hot fish, sea lion, or underwater it's a different story and I really need to start going over a game plan in my head, especially as some of that line took a while to saw thru in your video. thanks for the great reminder.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Behslayer » April 6th, 2017, 5:44 am

Hi Chris,

Not sure if it's allowed to repost my friend David Feinswog's story from a few years ago, but I'll go ahead and do so. It's not a bad idea to carry a little back up knife. That's just a little Dexter, but the Victorinox is sharper. I have this little plastic lade sheath like you'd find on a cheap pairing knife. (but I've made endless diy sheaths from plastic wrapped with Electrical tape etc. so I can just tuck that thing into my left sleeve and the handle of the knife peeks out just over my glove. In a worst case scenario.. you are going to drop your belt. But that leaves you with no knife.

David Feinswog/California

Yesterdays dive at La Esquina should have been one of the greatest diving experiences in my short career. Due to a series of frightening circumstances, however, it was beyond doubt my most horrific experience. I am providing this report as a warning to those that believe danger is greatly embellished in our sport, that death evades the skilled, and that bad things CANT happen to them; such was my attitude until yesterday.

THE DIVE:

With the small swell and light wind conditions of the past four days, I was determined to get in the water. Working through lunch and study hall, I managed to complete the vast majority of my homework before the schoolday ended. I decided I would dive.

When school ended at 3:15, I raced home and loaded my RIB 310 into the bed of my truck, along with all the gear I require for a dive. After an uneventful launch and run to La Esquina, I entered beautiful blue water prepared for yellowtail.

Conditions were excellent, and bait was abundant of the edge of the kelp. But as twenty minutes passed without seeing a halfmoon-shaped yellow fin, frustration began to mount. As if sensing my change in attitude, a troop of seemingly small yellowtail entered my field of view. I dove down 8 ft and waited for them to get curious. It worked as the hazy shapes grew clearer and larger, until finally I was offered a broadside of the pack from 10 feet away. I pulled the trigger on my Wong and the leaded stopped dead in the water without so much as a twitch. As the 24 lb yellowtail went on my stringer with torn gills, I became the center of the equivalent of a baitball of yellowtail. Unfortunately my gun was unloaded while this school of 100+ yellowtail, all greater than 15 lbs, circled my energetically.

By the time I was loaded again, the school had moved on to the next food opportunity. I hunted the bloody water for another hour before I decided to head back to the boat, if only to rid myself of the fish on the stringer. During the kick back, a wall of around 75 large yellows buzzed past too quickly to shoot. Annoyed at having not taken a hail mary, I continued the kick to the boat.

As I entered the kelp, I came face-to-face with a pack of yellowtail that looked tiny in comparison to those I had just seen. Still, they were yellowtail, so I let loose a shaft through the back of the larger one. He took off like a shot, heading for the bottom. I grabbed my shooting line and attempted to stop him. I made marginal progress, but enough to amass a fairly large clutter of line around me. Unbeknownst to me, that shooting line had wrapped circles around my knife, ripping it from the sheath, and looped around my first yellow and a weight on my belt.

I dove down to where the fish had wrapped at around 30 ft and grabbed it by the tail. It did not appreciate my touch, spinning and adding my right arm to the list of objects wrapped in reel line. I had spent too much energy to finish the job and began my ascent. All went well until I reached to top of the kelp, still 15 ft bellow fresh air. Suddenly, pressure on my weightbelt arrested my momentum, as I gazed longingly at sunlight. I looked down to see my yellowtail swimming against me and a ball of tangled line connecting my weightbelt, knife, and fish. Elapsed time on my watch was 1:30 at that point.

Trying to drag the fish to the surface provided limited results, and I decided to drop my weights. I looked down again only to find my belt had flipped backwards and the buckle was beyond my reach. I was suddenly hit with the hopelessness of my situation. There I was, 12 ft from the surface, anchored to a 29 lb yellowtail, without a knife to cut myself free or a buckle to remove my weightbelt, 1:45 into a dive and having spent considerable more effort on kicking than in normal diving conditions. I knew I was going to die. I knew under these horrible circumstances I, the chances of surviving were incredibly slim and that better divers had died from less. I confronted these terms and decided that if I would die, I would die fighting. Disregarding the risk of shallow-water blackout, as it was irrelevant in the face of such a certain death, I began to kick with all my energy. Progress was marginal until I was able to pull the fish from the kelp. Leaving the kelp, the yellow gave up the fight and I struggled to the surface. But to my horror, after I had taken one desperate hook breath, my body grew numb and I slipped back below the water. The samba left me 5 ft down, a quick kick to the surface. I took a breath and glanced at my watch. 3:00 had ellapsed.

While I do not know exactly how long I was underwater, it was around 2:45, a length of time which I had been forced to exert myself far past safe diving levels. Even though I came home with two nice yellowtail, I cannot help but feel crushed by the realization of the fragility of my mortality.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby chris oak » April 6th, 2017, 7:44 am

Jon anytime it has to do with safety we agree reposts take the priority, thanks for sharing that. That is a horrific story, one day I'll have to find a video where a guy shoots a yellowfin tuna and gets wrapped in his floatline, it is one of the very many reasons why I'm super sketchy about shooting a big fish until I'm ready.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » April 8th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the videos and story. Great thread!

I really need to get a sharper knife and in my own experience is an area I'm usually not willing to spend the big money on. I need to rethink that.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Freeryde » April 9th, 2017, 12:18 pm

I really want to find a good set of shears that won't rust to mount on my weight belt. I have used a few different ones but they all turn into a ball of rust in no time. Anyone have a recommendation for me?
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 9th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Freeryde wrote:I really want to find a good set of shears that won't rust to mount on my weight belt. I have used a few different ones but they all turn into a ball of rust in no time. Anyone have a recommendation for me?

Me too.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Behslayer » April 10th, 2017, 5:47 am

I don't have a Shear I've used which I could recommend. I notice most of the Dive company Shears I've seen online are "Titanium Coated" 420 Stainless with 304 Screw. They cost @ $20. Probably you could further coat those in an oil or grease. Rinse them well and test them occasionally. What I was looking for was an all Titanium Small Shear to recommend. But we're not running cable within our Crew. We're diving in 600-2400' of water so there's no Reef abrasion to think about and I go over our gear before each trip. I've never had a Pelagic fish snap Mono or Dyneema shooting lines. ever.

One thing that would be interesting is to retest with a True Qualty knife like a Spyderco.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby dctrjayyy » April 10th, 2017, 9:51 am

Jon, would you be confident running 400lb mono double crimped on 200lb yft? Spectra slip tip too?
dctrjayyy
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » April 10th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Hi Dr Jay,

I'm the wrong person to ask because I never shot or landed a 200lb YFT. I know a few YFT over 200lbs were landed this week in Panama. I would defer to those guys. My own rigging, I never double crimp Mono. I use 400lb with a Chafe Guard on all Loops. I never have heard of any of my lines coming undone at the crimp or snapping from fish. I feel confident using Mono. I'm not sure Cable is stronger as i has no give. I have heard multiple stories of cable snapping. I'm working on a Monocore Dyneema Shooting line. Should be 600lbs a 1.7mm which is the same diamter as 250lb Mono. We'll run some more tests on it. Mono. I keep eyes on it. If it's knicked up I change it. The Monocore Dyneema you can smash with bricks and it's no worries.

Kevlar/Dyneema Cable for Slip Tips. I have seen Dyneema Slip Tip ropes sliced by bone on Dogtooth Dogtooth Tuna. I'm not sure exactly what lb the rope was. Most use 800 and then atleast partially double it. There is thicker. 1000lb. Cable, I've heard of multiple instances where cable snapped in the Slip Tip. I'd use Coated Cable for a Slip tip. You can either use 3/32"(450lbs) or the next size up which might be 1/8" (1200lbs)...

What do I use? 400lb Mono or 600lb Monocore Dyneema, and 1000lb Dyneema on the Slip Tips. Now, me personally I never shot or landed a 200lb Tuna with that set up, but my buddies who help me with Field Testing have landed several YFT over 200lbs using exactly those set ups and literally tons of YFT over 100lbs and Big Wahoo etc. Bluewater. Not Reef.

This thread is especially for you Tuna guys. Those things only head in one direction. I'm not going to recommend Mono over Cable over Dyneema. I'm just going to demonstrate that it's important to test your cutting tool on any lines you or your crew are using.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Schwaman » April 10th, 2017, 8:51 pm

400 lbs mono in open water, correctly rigged is plenty strong. I ve landed about 10 tuna in the 60-100lbs class and 2 over 100kg (240lbs) with two different spears without changing the mono.
I mean, 1000lbs marlin get cought on 80 test line on rod and reel. It is about the flexibility you put in your system with bungee, small leading float ect. Ultimately its the resistance of your set up that puts the stress on the line and i think at some point it does not matter how big the fish is: a 35l boye still only needs 35kg to get pulled under. Its the sudden bursts of speed uou need to manage. 400lbs mono fixed to a riggid point ( eg lighthouse) would certainly snap when a 200lbs pound tuna takes off. But with a 100 f bungee there is only so much pressure a 35l float can put on the line.
Hundreds of huge fish get caugh around the world using 400lbs mono. Cable is very much an american thing / fixation .
I've seen it snap on other peoples set ups and have my doubts it is stronger than mono. With sharks and structure, thats a different thing, but in open water there is nothing to cut the mono.

Then theres the safety issue. It is very humbling to see such powerfull fish. You dont have much boyancy, even a small tuna will drag you down to 100f before you realize whats happening if your wrapped up in your line. imagine what a real big one can do- scary. I want that line to be cutable easy. I d be real scared of cable.
Thats my 2 cents from my limited experience, but learned from guys with a lot of it.
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » April 11th, 2017, 6:35 am

I fully support and agree with the above post, even when I venture to Baja to Pargo and Wahoo waters I will be rigging with mono.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby dctrjayyy » April 11th, 2017, 6:53 am

thanks jon. i use cable but i don't like it for all the reasons discussed above. will probably rig mono in most situations going forward
dctrjayyy
polespearo

Postby chris oak » April 11th, 2017, 9:12 am

I had this exact conversation a few weeks ago and heard a lot about it this summer when the big BFT were around. I used 400 lb mono, all the tuna guys I know use cable and I understand the reasoning but I also have fished my entire life and spend a lot of time reading up on things and am very confident on my crimping.

The swordfish guys use the same mono that I buy, it's strong AF. BUT if it is nicked, if you heated the ends incorrectly, if you use the wrong crimp etc you weaken that line tremendously and suddenly 400lb mono might be as good as 50 lb mono.

A big fish makes a very hot scorching run, I'm always curious on how many pounds of pressure they are putting on that run, you gotta figure they are being displaced by water so it's to their disadvantage.

My logic runs like this: if you tied that fish onto a truck and had a solid holding shot into the head with a slip tip, the cable would tire that fish out. If you used mono that mono might break. BUT if you are using a rig that allows a fish to tire itself out, used a series of floats and bungees instead of using a single giant float along with mono that stretches and takes up shock, I think as long as your mono is good and crimped correctly, you should be able to tire the fish out, almost like playing a fish on fishing tackle with the right rod and drag. I always think the advantage in that situation is the mono stretches and takes up shock while the cable won't and on a scorching run, if you pressure the fish too hard the cable might be more inclined to tear out. On the flip side if you pressured the same fish too hard on mono it could bust the mono on a bad crimp.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 11th, 2017, 9:50 am

I've always used 400 pound mono without a concern. I haven't done the tuna thing, but I think I'd still use mono for that if strength were the only concern. But now I have something else to mess with my head.

Over on the other board, spearq8, the guy who does all the pool testing of guns and gear, did a test of various shooting lines. He used 250 pound mono as his reference, and then tested various thicknesses of Spectra and cable to see how range and penetration compared. Coated 1.2 mm cable and 1.4 mm stiff Spectra did as well or better than the 250 pound mono, but the others did significantly worse, and the 1.4 mm stiff Spectra tangled if you had any slack in the rigging. And it so happened that he used a gun that I own for the test. So I bought some of the stiff Spectra and it even came in a bright green that should show up in the murk at least as well as my Momoi mono. I've only been out once with it and had no fish to shoot at, but I took two shots at kelp leaves without a tangle.

I've exchanged messages with a couple of guys who swear by the cable and say it really shoots well. And based on using it a while back, I do like the fact that it drops away from you and is easier than even the stiff spectra to deal with when stringing up you gun. But its also black. In Key West vis, that would be no big deal, but maybe down in the murk and kelp it might be.

So a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I want that extra range and accuracy, but how big a deal is it really. :)

I think I'll give the Spectra some more time.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Behslayer » April 12th, 2017, 10:31 am

Bill, you can get cable in Yellow, even Pink..

Don, for them Pargo, Dyneema is very good too. The Rig Guys in Louisiana, etc.. they use dyneema done we've done a bunch of abrasion tests where it stands up very well.

One thing about the Cable, is that you need a certain mass of a shaft to pull that 1.7mm. Ideally 21/64", 11/32", or 3/8" A lighter shaft like a 5/16" will struggle to pull 1.7mm coated cable. So if you are using a lighter shaft and wanted to use cable you would go with the thinner 1.4mm.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 12th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Behslayer wrote:Bill, you can get cable in Yellow, even Pink..

Where? The stuff from Catchall Tackle is only available in black, sand, and clear as far as I can tell. I have some yellow from Neptonics, but it really does seem to be different. I ordered a 30 foot roll of the 1.2 catchall just to see if it really was different and it seems to be. You can easily strip the coating off of the stuff from Neptonics, but the coating on the catchall seems to be melted in. I couldn't strip it with a sharp knife. It seems much more flexible too.

But back to the subject- cutting. I figured there was no way I'd try this cable without a good way to cut it, so I ordered a pair of Sea Snips from Amazon. They only cost $15 so I wasn't concerned over rust in the long haul. I just wanted to be able to cut the cable. I'm pretty sure I had the same brand about 20 years ago when Jay Riffe was pushing coated cable, and I think they worked then, but they sure don't work now. They wouldn't even cut the 175 pound 1.2 mm cable, much less the Neptonics 300 pound. Then I tried them on 400 pound mono, and they weren't as good as a knife. Mine are going back to Amazon. Maybe I'll have to pay more for something that actually cuts.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kavachi » April 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

heavy blade shears seem the way to go to cut the coated cable reliably, happy to oil em down each dive, but still searching for something with a grip thats glove friendly. greatly appreciate any reccos on what to buy/not to buy !
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Red Tide » April 13th, 2017, 4:36 am

Mono/Cable has been a spearfishing topic for years. My experience has shown me that cable is good for hunting vertical structure (Oil Rigs, Ship Wrecks, and Kelp) BTW, I have never hunted kelp. A big fish can drag mono across a Oil Rig leg and cut you off easily. There is no defense with mono. The same holds true for shipwrecks. In those situations I always use cable. My knife will cut cable but it is not easy. I have cut my cable several times on the Oil Rigs but not in a bail out situation. I think it would be better to rely on some kind of cutters if that is where you normally hunt.
The best cutters are going to be hi carbon steel and will rust on a cloudy day. All you can do is rinse them in fresh water and coat with a lubricant. If you take good care of them you can get 6 months use if you use them a lot. This is just an estimate.
In bluewater 300 to 400 lb mono is all you need. I would suggest using stainless steel chaffing springs because a big fish can put enough pressure at the shark fin to cut through the mono. The first tuna I ever shot did this to me. It was a fish close to 300 lbs. Since I began using the springs I have not lost a tuna over 200 lbs and up to 300 lbs with mono.
On the slip-tip I use 1200 lb spectra that I double back braid. This has never failed me either. It lays flat unlike cable and even when it gets frayed it still works. I used it till it was just a few threads left and still landed a smaller tuna. I am a believer in this stuff.
The key to rigging for bluewater is a progressive bungee/ floatline set up that allows for the fish to run hard and not break anything. I watched a friend with a Mori Cable Slip tip loose a 350 lb Yellowfin because he was using one of those big tuna boards. The cable snapped in the middle and looked like spaghetti as the fish swam away. This happened on the fishes first explosive run. I was 20 feet from the fish and witnessed it first hand. Multiple smaller floats with bungee between is the best way to land big fish. Rule of thumb is one float for every 100 lbs of fish you expect to shoot. This gives you a progressive drag system that will not put too much pressure on the fish but still enough pressure to wear him down for capture.
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 13th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Can someone give me a suggestion for shears/cutters that actually cut cable. I'd like for them to have the loop handles like the ones I just sent back to Amazon so that I'd be less likely to drop them. There are lots of them listed on Amazon and elsewhere, but I'd prefer not to be sending them back until I found something that worked.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » April 13th, 2017, 7:17 pm

Red Tide wrote:Mono/Cable has been a spearfishing topic for years. My experience has shown me that cable is good for hunting vertical structure (Oil Rigs, Ship Wrecks, and Kelp) BTW, I have never hunted kelp. A big fish can drag mono across a Oil Rig leg and cut you off easily. There is no defense with mono. The same holds true for shipwrecks. In those situations I always use cable. My knife will cut cable but it is not easy. I have cut my cable several times on the Oil Rigs but not in a bail out situation. I think it would be better to rely on some kind of cutters if that is where you normally hunt.
The best cutters are going to be hi carbon steel and will rust on a cloudy day. All you can do is rinse them in fresh water and coat with a lubricant. If you take good care of them you can get 6 months use if you use them a lot. This is just an estimate.
In bluewater 300 to 400 lb mono is all you need. I would suggest using stainless steel chaffing springs because a big fish can put enough pressure at the shark fin to cut through the mono. The first tuna I ever shot did this to me. It was a fish close to 300 lbs. Since I began using the springs I have not lost a tuna over 200 lbs and up to 300 lbs with mono.
On the slip-tip I use 1200 lb spectra that I double back braid. This has never failed me either. It lays flat unlike cable and even when it gets frayed it still works. I used it till it was just a few threads left and still landed a smaller tuna. I am a believer in this stuff.
The key to rigging for bluewater is a progressive bungee/ floatline set up that allows for the fish to run hard and not break anything. I watched a friend with a Mori Cable Slip tip loose a 350 lb Yellowfin because he was using one of those big tuna boards. The cable snapped in the middle and looked like spaghetti as the fish swam away. This happened on the fishes first explosive run. I was 20 feet from the fish and witnessed it first hand. Multiple smaller floats with bungee between is the best way to land big fish. Rule of thumb is one float for every 100 lbs of fish you expect to shoot. This gives you a progressive drag system that will not put too much pressure on the fish but still enough pressure to wear him down for capture.

a ton of good info here, thanks for chiming in!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » April 14th, 2017, 7:01 am

I did some snooping. But. The dive shears I saw were mostly those same 15-$20 shears. Others have that big spring which inevitably falls off when you need them to work. I figure the best people to ask would be commercial rig divers. One small scissor which I've always used in the shop, on the boat, and for cleaning fish which can cut anything well are these Joyce Chen scissors..
Last edited by Behslayer on April 15th, 2017, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby kavachi » April 14th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Behslayer wrote:I did some snooping. But. The dive shears I saw were mostly those same 15-$20 shears. Others have that big spring which inevitably falls off when you need them to work. I figure the best people to ask would be commercial rig divers. One small scissor which I've always used in the shop, on the boat, and for cleaning fish which can cut anything well are these Joyce Chen scissors..

great handles, and compact. have you tried em on 1.5mm cable Jon?
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 14th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Maybe it's me and my phone, but all is I see is a map of New England. I Googled Joyce Chen and I saw several different models.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Red Tide » April 15th, 2017, 3:39 am

These are amazing and will cut through anything. Not cheap but the best cutters I have ever come across.
http://www.claussco.com/product_list/80 ... %3B_Pliers
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » April 15th, 2017, 5:13 am

Jeerers... uploaded the wrong file. Please forget you saw that. But if you did, perhaps consider becoming a Snooooooop and doing endless hours of research on your own coastline. Pretty excited about that find.

GR. I did some Snoooooping around your parts too. Found something quite interesting. I think you are the Man for the Job.. I'll pm you.

Kavachi, I had a pair in here, but I think my wife hid them back in the Kitchen. I haven't used those in a filmed test, but those things, or the kind of 'kevlar shears' GR is showing here are a step in the right direction. The Looped fingers vs Spring loaded is debatable, but here in shop, I notice anything spring loaded the springs fall out and are a point of failure. With any Shears, you got to keep eyes on the Nut or whatever is holding them in place. If that has any play they lose their efficiency.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2017, 9:25 am

So now that you've pointed me to cutters, do you have any suggestions for a sheath to carry them?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Red Tide » April 15th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:So now that you've pointed me to cutters, do you have any suggestions for a sheath to carry them?

Just put them loose in the front of your speedo. :D
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2017, 1:44 pm

But they might get dulled very quickly.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Behslayer » April 16th, 2017, 4:32 am

https://youtu.be/uSmH6gSKbiI

Here's a quick Abrasion comparison. Not sure it's worth anything unless you are swimming around in a field of Metal Files. I realized a Metal file has it's own characteristics which might not show in the field which might disqualify the test as meaningful. For example, Metal heats up. The cause of the breaking of the Dyneema lines seems to be melting. I'll try another test using something more organic like a Rock or a Low grit Sandpaper. But for whatever it's worth. Here's an abrasion test on various lines we encounter in Spearfishing.

https://youtu.be/uSmH6gSKbiI

300lb Mono
400lb Mono
400lb Momoii Mono
1.6mm Monocore Dyneema Shooting line
2.5mm Monocore Dyneema Reel line
1000lb Hollowcore Dyneema Slip Tip Cord
1.4mm Coated Cable
1.7mm Coated Cable
1000lb Hollowcore Dyneema Slip Tip Cord Backspaced so it becomes 2000lb
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Red Tide » April 16th, 2017, 5:50 am

I thought this was a great test. I like that the stuff similar to what I use on my slip tips did the best. BTW I get all my rigging ideas from guys that make a living catching bluewater fish. They have been at it a long time and have tested everything that spearfisherman are just now discovering and claiming they have created a new wheel. Hahaha!
I will do a cut test video for you guys using the Kevlar shears on a few different lines/cable as well. They cut everything like it is made of warm butter. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Freeryde » April 18th, 2017, 9:03 am

Bill I just bought the shears with the cable cutter notch. I plan to use a small plastic sheath that I had from a super cheap knife I bought a while back. I am planning to hold them in with a loop of small bungie material tied to the handle then looped around the end of the sheath. Ill let you know how they work and hold up against rust. I should have them in about a week or so.
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 18th, 2017, 10:15 am

Thanks Joe. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Its funny, but I just tried my plain old OXO kitchen shears, available in any supermarket, and they cut cable well. But they have that feature that allows the blades to be separated for washing, so I'm afraid they might come apart in use.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Behslayer » April 18th, 2017, 12:45 pm

They run 400lb Mono on the Camp Guns at Isla Montuosa.

Mikey Vicens with a nice 170lbYFT he nailed yesterday using the 155RH Carmina Delores Model
Photo: @el_squid Anthony Dooley Spearfishingpanama.com
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby John Hughes » April 18th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Behslayer wrote:They run 400lb Mono on the Camp Guns at Isla Montuosa.

Mikey Vicens with a nice 170lbYFT he nailed yesterday using the 155RH Carmina Delores Model
Photo: @el_squid Anthony Dooley Spearfishingpanama.com

dude, how thick is that shaft he's using??!! WOW. Beautiful fish.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » April 18th, 2017, 3:55 pm

It's a camera thing that's just a 5/16" The gun isn' a massive as it appears either. But the tuna is 170lbs.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Red Tide » April 19th, 2017, 4:14 am

Viola. Yes it fits snug and should be what you want. Everybody has one of these collecting dust in their garage.
Attachments
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 19th, 2017, 9:28 am

Yes, I've got a couple of those. Thanks.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 19th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Good old Amazon Prime. I ordered the Claus with the cable cutter notch for $16.52 and they will be here Friday. I wasn't sure whether I should have ordered the kevlar cutter model instead, but if so this won't be the most expensive mistake I've made.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kavachi » April 19th, 2017, 4:32 pm

thanks for the reccos Jon and GR! will try the notched Claus's out!
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Red Tide » April 20th, 2017, 2:40 am

You guys will love these cutters.
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 21st, 2017, 3:10 pm

My Claus cutters arrived, and they don't work very well on cable for me. When I use the notch, they just sort of fold the cable over and try to strip the coating. I tried them on the 175 pound stuff from catchall and the 300 pound stuff from Neptonics. If I wanted a clean cut, I needed to take my fingers out of the loops and use both hands with the cable out in the smooth part of the blades, but I wouldn't want to have to do that holding my breath with a fish pulling me down. I'm hesitant to use cable now.

They did work well on mono, and they worked better than a knife on the 1.4 mm stiff spectra.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » April 21st, 2017, 3:34 pm

You guys are making me rethink my carrying supplies. Anyone try shears like these? https://www.amazon.com/Madison-Supply-P ... op?ie=UTF8 It's small, lightweight and cheap.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 21st, 2017, 3:49 pm

Last week I tried Sea Snips that look just like those and they were worthless. I sent them back.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 21st, 2017, 4:00 pm

BTW, when I tried those Claus and they folded the cable over, it wasn't under tension. I figure you aren't always going to be able to put a lot of tension on cable when you need to cut it. But then just for the hell of it I put one end in a vise and pulled tight before I tried to cut it. It didn't fold over then, but I just wasn't able to exert enough force to cut it with one hand.

And before smart-ass Dam pipes up- I know I'm old, but recently when I chiropractor was doing a workup on me he tested my grip strength and he said he didn't see numbers like that very often. :)
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Behslayer » April 22nd, 2017, 5:46 am

Jeezus. what a can of worms.. maybe there are some commercial divers or NAVY divers or SEALS on here who use wire clippers. My heavy duty Scissors have no problems cutting that stuff. Those Claussen Shears they make a few products, maybe you have to order a specific one.

Bottom line is that if anyone in your dive group is using cable (which has become increasingly fashionable for Bluewater.. and you could guess some guys rigging for Bluefin will be thinking about it.. everyone in the group needs to be able to cut that stuff..

I just can't see the gain for something like WSB or Yellowtail? I can see the gain with Big Cubera or Big Grouper, but I don't see any gain in the Blue.

I think I should add another test. I took some 40grit and glued it to a PVC tube to simulate a rock.. The mono and the Dyneema each wore through and broke within a few seconds. The Cable wore through the Vinyl coating and then the Stainless strand sawed through the Sandpaper and the PVC tube.. So I guess I should do an actual Rock test..
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Red Tide » April 22nd, 2017, 8:11 am

Bill,
Maybe it is the ones you bought. Mine are the Kevlar ones with out the cable cutter. I will show you how easy they cut the CatchAll cable. Like butter with very little pressure needed.
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 22nd, 2017, 10:02 am

Show me. The blades must be different.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 22nd, 2017, 1:00 pm

The shears with the wire cutter that I got cost $16.52 on Amazon. The Fiber Optic Kevlar shear cost $21.24. Maybe that should have given me a hint.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kavachi » April 23rd, 2017, 2:00 am

um, yeah - i just bought a pair same as Bill's pic. oh well now got a nice pair of workshop snips when they arr in a months time. but for the cable? what Claus's are you using GR?
kavachi
polespearo

Next

Return to Guns & Gear