Spearfishing Lines Cut Test

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Re: Spearfishing Lines Cut Test

Postby Red Tide » April 23rd, 2017, 7:08 pm

Here you go Bill. BTW you can buy these on Amazon for $10.?? plus $3 shipping.
https://youtu.be/eZt0Lz-NxJw
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 23rd, 2017, 7:32 pm

Looks great but they have a bunch of models and I already got a wrong one. Could you provide a model number and/or exact model name?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Red Tide » April 24th, 2017, 3:44 am

Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » April 24th, 2017, 7:53 am

Excellent info GR. Those Clauss Clippers look great. I'll get a pair today so my wife quits busting me for stealing her Joyce Chen's.

One thing is that last test with the knife.... I could take a brand new Victorinox or whatever and with 480lb coated cable in a vice and me standing on land and also really putting my weight into it, (you made it look easy but let's remember the chances of having that kind of stability, and pressure, and angle, just is not going to happen in the water in an emergency. It's tricky to think about how much your force on that knife blade on the cable has to do with gravity. It' very different trying to cut a line while being pulled straight down by a Tuna, or a shark that has your Tuna, etc. You're not going to get that angle, the serrations on the knife are going to dig a bit and grab and you'll be lucky to get half way through with a brand new knife. then You'll need to find the exact same place to cut for your second try, which is tough when you are now at 100' and your mask is flooded. Those Clippers are awesome. That's the tool for the job.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Red Tide » April 24th, 2017, 10:09 am

Behslayer wrote:Excellent info GR. Those Clauss Clippers look great. I'll get a pair today so my wife quits busting me for stealing her Joyce Chen's.

One thing is that last test with the knife.... I could take a brand new Victorinox or whatever and with 480lb coated cable in a vice and me standing on land and also really putting my weight into it, (you made it look easy but let's remember the chances of having that kind of stability, and pressure, and angle, just is not going to happen in the water in an emergency. It's tricky to think about how much your force on that knife blade on the cable has to do with gravity. It' very different trying to cut a line while being pulled straight down by a Tuna, or a shark that has your Tuna, etc. You're not going to get that angle, the serrations on the knife are going to dig a bit and grab and you'll be lucky to get half way through with a brand new knife. then You'll need to find the exact same place to cut for your second try, which is tough when you are now at 100' and your mask is flooded. Those Clippers are awesome. That's the tool for the job.

Jon, My knives are serrated on both sides for a reason. So that in an emergency you don't have to think what side to use. I have cut cable with my knives in the water with the same ease that I demonstrated on the video. If there is tension on both ends it will cut. I have cut a 480 lb cable tangled fish off an oil rig leg at 90 feet and have cut floatlines, bungees, crab trap lines and cable out of boat props with these knives. The knife I wear on by belt is three years old and still cuts good enough for me. I am not selling knives here, just letting you know that I believe in my knives.
The bottom line is that in your scenario being dragged down by a big fish, only the best prepared diver would be able to act quickly enough to save their life. I have rehearsed that situation and talked about it many times with the guys I dive with. I wear my knife dagger style on my weightbelt in the center so that I can grab it with either hand. The very second things start going south I am prepared to stop, drop and roll. I am a very instinctive diver and am very aware of what its about to happen. This is something that all divers need to learn before they get in a bad situation.
It all starts with proper floatline/reel line management. So many divers look like spiderman at the surface with their line all around them. They are so close to becoming a statistic and they have no idea. Let's move on make line management should become a separate topic. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » April 24th, 2017, 2:04 pm

GR, that's what this thread is about. Information so that when that scenario does happen to someone on here, they will be better prepared for it. It is such a fine line between drowning and surviving that situation. Even if you do manage to cut yourself free, there's a high chance of Blackout. (If you are diving with your buddies and you see them surfacing without their gun. Immediately swim to them. A diver surfacing without their gun has most likely been involved in some kind of situation. Thank goodness my buddies recognized that.)

What I learned about knives was that bigger serrations are not your friend in an emergency. I learned about it by blacking out after not being able to cut my Dyneema Reel line because the serrations of the knife kept catching on the Dyneema Strands while I was being pulled straight down by a Tuna. I cut halfway through the line in two spots. Honestly, I think a sharp unserrated blade or micro serrated blade would have cut through in one swipe. I have a saw I can cut through a Board of IPE with here, if I tried that with this micro serrated pairing knife I have in here I would not get very far. But that Micro serrated blade will cut through Dyneema Cord, Cable, or mono much better than the Saw blade. That is what this thread is about recognizing that there are subtleties in different tools for different lines. And also getting everyone to do those simple 1 minute tests with their own equipment which we both showed.

Agreed Line Management is a Sister Topic. The ideal is that you never have to cut lines.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Red Tide » April 24th, 2017, 6:10 pm

A best dive knife and why is another thread. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » April 24th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Red Tide wrote:
Behslayer wrote:

It all starts with proper floatline/reel line management. So many divers look like spiderman at the surface with their line all around them. They are so close to becoming a statistic and they have no idea. Let's move on make line management should become a separate topic. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

This is such an excellent point and something I'm always preaching to the newer guys I dive with!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 25th, 2017, 8:24 am

G.R., thanks for the cutter recommendation. Please provide your address so that I can send you the bill if this doesn't cable. :)

I see that the discussion progressed while I was actually out diving yesterday, but I have one comment about knives and cutting. Many many years ago when Jay Riffe first came out with his Italian knife serrated on one side, I happened to be in his shop and he wanted to demonstrate it. He put one end of 1/16" piece of cable in a vise and pulled hard on the other end. I was able to cut it with a single slash using the serrated side, but I was still a skeptic. I didn't think anything was going to hold cable tight for me in actual diving conditions.

But I bought his knife. Some time later I had a slip tip with 3/32" cable toggled in something that I didn't want to keep and didn't want to touch. (Don't ask.) This creature was pulling me along and providing tension. I pulled my way up the shooting line and shaft and to my surprise was able to cut that 3/32" cable with two slashes using the serrated side of the knife. I realize that this was hardly a typical situation, but it convinced me that serrations worked.

Last year I managed to lose my Mori version of the Riffe knife and needed a replacement. When I saw that G.R. was offering a knife with serrations on both side, I went for it. I never seem to use the straight side for cutting kelp or much of anything else.
Last edited by Bill McIntyre on April 25th, 2017, 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 25th, 2017, 8:25 am

Red Tide wrote:A best dive knife and why is another thread. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

So start one. :)
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Behslayer » April 26th, 2017, 4:09 am

A "Characteristics of a Good Spearfishing Knife" Thread would be a good thread. I say Spearfishing knife because our situation is different from Divers (Scuba). More like Parachustists, or even Base Jumpers.. We have the constraint of time. In our case we want to be able to cut a line in one swipe. I figure it takes about 5 seconds to get your knife out and take a swipe. A second swipe might be another second. But when you are being pulled straight down by a big fish after being down for a minute and fighting, how many seconds do you really have before you are too deep to recover.

What I learned about Serrations was that there are jagged serrations which are designed to remove material, like on a Saw blade. These are not a good match. There are Serrations which are big and deep. these are not a good match. There are Micro serrations. These are good. There are larger but Rounded serrations. These are good. Ofcourse the issue with Serrations is they are much tougher to keep razor sharp.

I know someone on here has a Really good blade. Spyderco, or I heard Gannet was making a Blade in the USA and they do a good job on things. Maybe someone can post up a simple test of a Quality non serrated blade vs Mono, Dyneema, and Cable?
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Red Tide » April 26th, 2017, 4:28 pm

I will be happy to donate a knife for this test. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby Freeryde » April 27th, 2017, 6:12 am

So I have been looking for a good pair of safety shears for a long time. When I saw the Claus ones that were recommended I ordered them right away, but they took forever to ship so I did not have them. Then when I saw bills post about them not working well, so I also ordered the ones GR recommended. Turns out they are basically the same, except that one has rubberized handle grips and a "cable cutter" notch. Anyway I ended up receiving both in the mail yesterday. I tested them like in GR's video, and had basically the same results. They cut reel line, and float line spectra like it is not even there! The cable was a bit more of a challenge but it still cut without slipping. One thing I did notice is that it was much more difficult to cut the cable with the special cable cutter notch. The other pair with the straight blades cut better. Now the real test will be how long will it take for these shears to turn into a ball of rust when they are on my dive belt??? I will report back and let u guys know.
Attachments
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Behslayer » April 27th, 2017, 6:19 am

I like those ones without the notch. Notches and serration are a pain in the ass to sharpen. But those flat blades are easy. You can take apart the blades and sharpen them up every now and then.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Freeryde » April 27th, 2017, 11:16 am

Behslayer wrote:I like those ones without the notch. Notches and serration are a pain in the ass to sharpen. But those flat blades are easy. You can take apart the blades and sharpen them up every now and then.

I agree about the notch but these do have mini serrations. They look a lot like my $100 cutco kitchen shears. With those I can cut a penny in half with no problem. I think rust is gonna be the issue but we will soon see
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 27th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Backing up what Joe said- mine came today and they do cut various kinds of Spectra as well as my Catchall cable and 300 pound Neptonics cable. If anyone wants to be sure what to order, the Claus model number is 18074.

I was trying to figure out why these cut while the straight blades of the model with the cable notch don't. As near as I can tell the blades look the same, but when I try to cut with the straight blades of the model with the notch, the blades spread apart and fold the cable rather than cut it. So I thought the solution would be to tighten the nut on the hinge bolt, but I couldn't budge it.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kavachi » April 28th, 2017, 3:55 pm

thanks for posting the model # of those shears Bill !
kavachi
polespearo

Postby kavachi » June 24th, 2017, 11:50 pm

update on the cable....
Using the 1.4mm Catch All coated cable on both 7.5mm and 8.5mm shafts and super happy with it.
Clauss kevlar shears on my belt.
Clauss model #18074 are the ones you want, cut the 1.4mm cable no mucking around.
kavachi
polespearo

Postby kavachi » June 25th, 2017, 12:36 am

they aint cheap those Clauss #18074 shears, but they're an awesome piece of kit, cut bands like butter. I dont bother sanding band ends down now, just trim them with the shears
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 25th, 2017, 5:30 pm

kavachi wrote:update on the cable....
Using the 1.4mm Catch All coated cable on both 7.5mm and 8.5mm shafts and super happy with it.
Clauss kevlar shears on my belt.
Clauss model #18074 are the ones you want, cut the 1.4mm cable no mucking around.

What are using as a holster?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kavachi » June 25th, 2017, 6:41 pm

out with the Speedy Stitcher and cut up an old dive belt, made a nice snug webbing holster. slides onto belt sideways. those shears are really compact!
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Red Tide » June 28th, 2017, 3:44 pm

A good sheath for these would be an old Riffe or Red Tide dive knife sheath left over from when you lost a knife. I have a couple laying around that you can have for free (Plus $3 shipping) Hahaah!
Red Tide
polespearo

Postby kon » June 28th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Kavachi, how do you keep them from rusting? Anti-corrosive?
kon
polespearo

Postby kavachi » June 28th, 2017, 8:01 pm

just rinse, then dump in mineral oil, and wipe off. bit of surface rust on them but not affecting cutting performance. been using the shears for work diving too, fantastic for cutting thru heavy zip ties
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Freeryde » July 7th, 2017, 6:11 am

I have been carrying around these same shears for a bit on my dive belt. I don't rinse my belt or coat/soak them in mineral oil. Mine have turned into a ball of rust as predicted. They are great in terms of size and cutting power and fit perfectly into an old Riffe sheath as GR said but I now only take my second pair when I feel like I am doing some high risk bluewater dives. My trusty wenoka knife remains rust free no matter the abuse or how many times I don't rinse it
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby John Hughes » July 8th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Freeryde wrote: My trusty wenoka knife remains rust free no matter the abuse or how many times I don't rinse it

I've been using the Wenoka titanium knife for around 10 years and absolutely LOVE that knife for strength and durability and the no rust factor. It holds up well for braining fish after fish but unfortunately it's probably worthless for cutting anything other than gills. This thread has me rethinking that knife big time. I'm almost sad. LOL
Last edited by John Hughes on July 9th, 2017, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » July 9th, 2017, 4:15 am

Perhaps a micro serration on a Titanium Knife is the answer? Titanium is great because it never rusts, but it can't hold an edge that well.

We still haven't heard much from the guys who have the real Quality USA knives like Spyderco or the H1 steels? What about that Gannet Knife?
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Freeryde » July 9th, 2017, 1:54 pm

John Hughes wrote:
Freeryde wrote: My trusty wenoka knife remains rust free no matter the abuse or how many times I don't rinse it

I've been using the Wenoka titanium knife for around 10 years and absolutely LOVE that knife for strength and durability and the no rust factor. It holds up well for braining fish after fish but unfortunately it's probably worthless for cutting anything other than gills. This thread has me rethinking that knife big time. I'm almost sad. LOL

I have a few of the wenoka squeeze knives in SS and titanium but like you said they dull quickly and I haven't had good success sharpening the titanium one. The knife I like the most is a bit bigger and made of SS. It's the Wenoka ez-lock. It stays sharp and does not rust even though I never rinse my belt. $30 on amazon!
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby John Hughes » July 9th, 2017, 6:53 pm

Freeryde wrote:
John Hughes wrote:

I have a few of the wenoka squeeze knives in SS and titanium but like you said they dull quickly and I haven't had good success sharpening the titanium one. The knife I like the most is a bit bigger and made of SS. It's the Wenoka ez-lock. It stays sharp and does not rust even though I never rinse my belt. $30 on amazon!

thanks for the tip Joe. I'll have to check it out. After this thread though I may have to go a sharper, more expensive route and put my dull titanium friend to rest :'(
John Hughes
cupcake

Previous

Return to Guns & Gear