anyone made a hybrid roller?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

anyone made a hybrid roller?

Postby growingupninja » April 18th, 2017, 8:28 am

I am curious if anyone has gone done this path, and what worked or didn't, and if anyone has or makes wood blanks suitable for a low profile hybrid (90cm - 95cm) rear handle plus (10 - 15 cm overhang)?

I plan to make the barrel as sealed unit, with an LED and reflector potted in the tip, and battery, switch, etc (everything but the LED) in the back. This would improve balance and put the switch in an easier to access spot. After over a year with the Twilight Muzzles in use, I'm happy enough with the durability and workability to move the platform into a premium package that shoots better and has a better unloaded bouyancy.

I don't have much experience with rollers but it seems like a good fit for what I want in the gun--I want something I can use for deep spearing and hole hunting (small/low profile/low drag + light), but which has the potential to be quickly powered up to take pelagics if they show up. It happens too often that I'm down grinding in the sand, then on the way up I notice that currents are changing, and then the next thing I know the pelagic window opens and I don't have time to swim back to the boat for a bigger gun. So I'm stuck chasing YT and WSB with an 85cm pipe gun and single band. Also, putting a roller on the sealed barrel I plan to make would be a lot less machining that creating and sealing band holes...

Thanks!
Find me as SoCal Spear-It on Youtube and Instagram.
Freediving and spearfishing videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmeNuY ... PMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja
polespearo

Re: anyone made a hybrid roller?

Postby Spear America » April 24th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Jd from Moana made one a few years ago with a roller muzzle I gave him.
Spear America
spearo

Postby mori » April 26th, 2017, 11:23 pm

You should make one. Hybrid guns are the among the most easiest spearguns to make for a home builder. I sell high-modulus Carbon Fiber tubes in 30mmOD x 26mm ID, which is the standard for most European pipe guns. Using a 30.22 mm round bit to cut the tube track on the wooden stock, the tube aligns to the stock without jigs. You can use one of many commercially made muzzles that adopts the 26mm ID tube, no need to fabricate a special muzzle. If you don't have the woodworking tools to cut a mechanism or handle pocket, Neptonics has a bunch of pre-made stocks at the Long Beach shop that already has the mechanism and handle pockets already cut. You just need to cut it to length, cut the round slot, glue the tube in place and mount all the hardware. The carbon tubes are 170cm long, so you can cut it in half and make two hybrid guns out of one tube.

Muzzles
Tube Alignment
Hybrid
mori
Mori

Postby Behslayer » April 27th, 2017, 6:41 am

Agreed, hybrids are easy in that the wooden cuts are short. Now getting them to shoot perfectly.. that's where the art comes in, which I have not mastered. Here's some links to a local North East Builder Dean McCormick. He also did a writeup on the build process on these guns.

https://aoshunspearfishing.com/blogs/news
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby growingupninja » April 27th, 2017, 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies and link to the aoshun gun, very detailed. I like his design, the chunky rear stock seems like a particularly good idea to give the rear of the gun some extra bouyancy which could better ballast my batteries.

I also like the way the Andre hybrids are done, with very little wood, so I will aim for something a little between the designs. I want a very low profile, minimal stock in general. Phil suggested running the CF tube all the way to the mech for strength and better interface and a couple guys also suggested clamshelling the stock around the pipe, which sounds smart.

Mori, I have been buildintg my Twilight pipe guns with the 26mm ID hm carbon fiber from you. Works nicely but I may be going with a 1.125 ID tube to accomodate a beefier battery. I could shave down the ID of a 26mm tube to accomodate the beefier battery but would obviously lose strength in the tube, although if it is really clamped into a clamshell stock the stock might be plenty of reinforcement.
Freediving and spearfishing videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmeNuY ... PMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja
polespearo

Postby malibujohn » April 27th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Got a lil pile of blanks with tracks and pockets in em. Come grab what ya need aquaman! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Attachments
malibujohn
kook

Postby growingupninja » April 28th, 2017, 7:16 am

malibujohn wrote:Got a lil pile of blanks with tracks and pockets in em. Come grab what ya need aquaman! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks, John. Definitely planning to take you up on that and pick your brain on the rollers. I think next week or maybe this weekend I'll have time to swing by, family was in town this week so schedule was pretty much a wash. I want to get this gun built and tested before I go to baja.
growingupninja
polespearo

Postby Eric Bodj » April 28th, 2017, 9:36 am

mori wrote:You should make one. Hybrid guns are the among the most easiest spearguns to make for a home builder. I sell high-modulus Carbon Fiber tubes in 30mmOD x 26mm ID, which is the standard for most European pipe guns. Using a 30.22 mm round bit to cut the tube track on the wooden stock, the tube aligns to the stock without jigs. You can use one of many commercially made muzzles that adopts the 26mm ID tube, no need to fabricate a special muzzle. If you don't have the woodworking tools to cut a mechanism or handle pocket, Neptonics has a bunch of pre-made stocks at the Long Beach shop that already has the mechanism and handle pockets already cut. You just need to cut it to length, cut the round slot, glue the tube in place and mount all the hardware. The carbon tubes are 170cm long, so you can cut it in half and make two hybrid guns out of one tube.

IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3482.JPG

Mori how much does that ball router run, $150-200?
Eric Bodj
spearo

Postby mori » April 28th, 2017, 11:24 am

The 30.22mm Router bits are $85. The 30mm x 26mm x 170 cm High Modulous Carbon Fiber tube is $125.
mori
Mori

Postby growingupninja » May 7th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Here is the sketch.... 100cm, single roller, two stages. The light would be in the tip. The CF barrel will be a sealed unit with all the electronics inside.

growingupninja
polespearo

Postby kory bersuch » June 25th, 2017, 7:33 pm

kory bersuch
Fathom Spearguns

Postby kory bersuch » June 25th, 2017, 7:37 pm

kory bersuch wrote:Image

Accidentally posted the picture with now reply, but I built this rear handle hybrid awhile back and have been wanting to convert it for some time now but haven't got around to it. I think it would work very well. If you have a chance to do one yourself I'd suggest it.
kory bersuch
Fathom Spearguns

Postby growingupninja » June 25th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Yeah time is always the killer! I got my muzzle mold made (the trickiest part) still need to finish molds for the other fittings on the barrel, and then do some manufacturing tests before commiting the electronics. Hopefully will get back to work on it soon.
growingupninja
polespearo

Return to Guns & Gear