Double crimp size for mono?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Double crimp size for mono?

Postby David Z » May 19th, 2017, 4:28 am

I've always bought my mono and crimps together, whether it was from Mako, Neptonics or any other dive brand. Just picked the 250lb, 300lb or 400lb option with crimps and received a package in the mail. However, I just bought a big spool of 1.6mm mono and still have some 1.8mm + 2.0mm mono left over but am running out of crimps. I'm looking to buy some double crimps in bulk to suit all the different monos I have but am not sure what sizes I should be buying. This is the product I'm looking at right now for the 1.6mm mono.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-X-1-6mm-D ... SwB09YSQNP

It says it is 1.6mm ID. Will that work for 1.6mm mono or do I have to go slightly bigger to accommodate? Once I figure this out, I should be able to work out what works for the 1.8 and 2mm mono :handgestures-thumbupleft:
David Z
spearo

Re: Double crimp size for mono?

Postby castronova » May 19th, 2017, 4:37 am

I use 1.6mm sleeves for 1.2mm cable but also 1.6mm sleeves for the coated 1.2mm cable which is about 1.4. I think the sleeves I use for 400# mono are 2.2mm and 300# are 2.0mm and 250# is 1.8mm. The conclusion seems to be there is always extra room left to close the crimp, I don't think you buy the exact size to match.
castronova
prick

Postby David Z » May 20th, 2017, 6:15 am

Much appreciated JP, I'll buy slightly bigger to accommodate. A mistake wouldn't be the end of the world as they are cheap as peanuts :)
David Z
spearo

Postby phil herranen » May 20th, 2017, 8:23 am

I get my mono and crimps from here . A 5# coil last me around a year ,I use the Primeline mono
http://blueoceantackle.com/commercial-f ... ofilament/
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby chris oak » May 20th, 2017, 9:48 am

Yah that primeline is good stuff, made by Lindgren-pitman, Corey put me onto it. It's the stuff that commercial swordies use and it's strong. Phil's rigging a ton of guns that he makes, a 5lb coil will last you a while. I also order stuff from here, and I think this might be where I ordered my crimps: https://catchalltackle.com/crimps/

Make sure you are mushrooming the end of the mono (with a lighter) away from the rest of the line ie. you pull the line thru the coil a ways up and then mushroom it, let it cool and then back down the sleeve till it's a little above the mushroom. You don't want any heat near the main line and you want to change that line anytime you get a nick. I had a thread on the old forum about crimping mono that I got out of a fishing mag, I'll see if I can find it and resurrect it.

btw the left over shooting line works great for weed wackers if you are doing your own yardwork. I also keep a short piece on the boat to unplug the peehole on my outboards and you can make stringers out of them too.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » May 20th, 2017, 3:10 pm

chris oak
Enforcer

Postby David Z » May 22nd, 2017, 12:28 am

Cheers for the info fellas
David Z
spearo

Return to Guns & Gear