Using a slip tip with a roller

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Using a slip tip with a roller

Postby looknofurther » June 8th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Hello all! I jumped on the roller wagon and dove with a 110 roller with spectra shooting line. I was using a slip tip and read some info where guys were using the shooting line to hold spectra of slip tip. I noticed a couple times my tip had fallen off due to my shooting line spectra was not holding the slip tip down. What are you guys using? A gasket? Rubber band? Or are most guys shooting floppers with rollers.
Thanks fellas. Should hate to miss a fish due to tip falling off
Chris
Chris Watson
looknofurther
spearo

Re: Using a slip tip with a roller

Postby dean_the_machine » June 20th, 2017, 9:52 am

I manufacture a lot of shafts for rollers both imported and made domestically. About 80% of users are using single floppers on the smaller guns. On the larger guns almost everyone is ordering double welded floppers. A few guys are ordering 9/32" and 5/16" threaded for use with slip tips on WSB and other similar fish. Please see my insta below for recent examples of some of the USA's best shaft output.
https://www.instagram.com/deankoutras/ - Custom American Made Stainless Shafts - Euro & American - Warrantied 949-295-3590
dean_the_machine
spearo

Postby squidhunter » June 20th, 2017, 4:47 pm

hey, i tuck mine into the shooting line
squidhunter
spearo

Postby chris oak » June 21st, 2017, 6:58 am

I just had this talk with Mori a few days ago. I've got a 120 carbon roller with a slip tip, the gun shoots great 75% of the time but once in a while the shooting line catches in the bands. Mori said it's a more combersome combination with the slip tip and I tend to agree, there's a lot to deal with the bands under the gun, the shooting line etc, it's not point and shoot like a regular wood gun. I usually tuck the slip tip dynama under the shooting line, but keep in mind I only bring that gun out when I'm fooling around and usually after I shot a bunch of yellowtail. I know Tanc has has fantastic luck with his but I also know of several guys who missed shots on big seabass this year because the rollergun tangled the shooting line.

I just picked up a used Rob Allen with a mannysub roller and I'm in the process of rerigging it as we speak. This gun will be dedicated to a flopper though, I'm curious to see if that changes the problem.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby phil herranen » June 21st, 2017, 8:33 am

One way to deal with it is to use a cable keeper on the bottom of the gun , you will have to glue a small piece of mono inside the tail of the spectra to make it work .

That said I just tuck it under the shooting line but I built the gun to work that way
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby looknofurther » June 23rd, 2017, 5:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. Was having line problems as well. Switched to the 1.4 spectra and with the rob Allen roller I had no more issues with that. Missed a lot of fish in mex so trying to get it dialed in. We shall see.
Chris
Chris Watson
looknofurther
spearo

Return to Guns & Gear