Screwing Reel to Railgun Reel Mount?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Screwing Reel to Railgun Reel Mount?

Postby GavinTexas » July 18th, 2017, 3:42 pm

The reel line I ordered a month ago is finally in stock and arriving tomorrow.

I've got a RA 110 that I am putting a reel on. It's got the mount and it slides on there from the back. I thought I remembered old posts where some people added a small screw to the mount to prevent the reel from backing off.

Is that still a thing or is the standard slip on/press fit of the reel good enough? If you do add a small screw I assume you just try to drill it into the mount as a backup rather than all the way through into the barrel of the gun?

Thanks!
GavinTexas
spearo

Re: Screwing Reel to Railgun Reel Mount?

Postby scorpaenichthys » July 18th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Not sure this will be helpful at all, but my 70 red tide reel came with an extra extension on the back that my old 50m reel didn't have. The extension is long enough that the reel wouldn't actually slide on correctly (The extension hits the trigger guard before the reel can move far enough back to slide on). I had to get it mostly lined up and then bang on it to get the dovetail set in the track, and then slide it into place. I'm sure there are better ways to deal with that, but now that it's on there, the metal extension has been enough to keep the reel from detaching, even if I accidentally bump it loose. I haven't had a big fish on it yet, but I don't think this thing's going to come off unless something puts a lot of force on it at the perfect angle.

scorpaenichthys
noob

Postby Schwaman » July 18th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Schwaman
spearo

Postby Neptonics » July 19th, 2017, 11:18 am

Drill a little hole and screw her in. Just be careful of the angle.

Otherwise feel free to come into the store and we'll do it for you.

:)
https://www.instagram.com/neptonics_worldwide/

Quality you can trust from North America's Biggest Spearfishing Retailer.

Neptonics
spearo

Postby John Hughes » July 20th, 2017, 2:20 pm

My Red Tide reel came with a couple of holes in the mounting bracket you can put a screw in to keep it from sliding off. Of course I didn't figure that out until I almost lost my reel (twice) by accidentally bumping it in the wrong direction while diving and either unclipped or attached to a fish. Before I took another trip, I unspooled and put a screw in there so it can't slide on and off the bracket.

On your pipe gun, you do not want to screw through the bracket into the gun itself. :)

John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Red Tide » July 29th, 2017, 11:55 am

You can trim that excess metal off the back with a dremel or bend it upward so that you can mount it all the way back to your trigger guard.
Red Tide
polespearo

Return to Guns & Gear