Need a cheap 3mm suit in a hurry for a trip?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Need a cheap 3mm suit in a hurry for a trip?

Postby SBH2Oman » July 31st, 2017, 10:41 am

So my son outgrew his nice custom wetsuit, but I wasn't worried about our upcoming BoLA trip, since typically this time of year the water is warm enough (80's) to get by with just a 1.5mm cheater top/steamer. But a couple of recent reports said the water is colder than usual (mid-70's) and thats too cold for no wetsuit, IMO. So with 10 days to go before our trip I figured I'd start looking for a "quick & dirty" option.

Lo and behold, on Amazon I found a suit for $80 with Prime shipping (I shit you not) that I ordered on Saturday and it just arrived (it is Monday at 11:30 am). It is supposedly made from Yamamoto neoprene, and looking at it in my hands it looks as good or better than any other "budget" suit I've ever seen. The only down side is that it is lycra on the inside instead of open cell, but considering that his alternative was my old surf suit, I think this thing will be great, even if he only uses it once or twice a year.

https://www.amazon.com/Realon-Spearfish ... 016Y5EV3G/

The color looks like it will be good for typical Baja reef hunting - sort of a mottled orange-brown-olive color.

Chest and knees have an extra layer of "non-slip" fabric (no extra cushion for loading pad, tho). All the seams look like they are glued and then blind-stitched on the outside, including the cuffs and face seal.

------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Re: Need a cheap 3mm suit in a hurry for a trip?

Postby castronova » July 31st, 2017, 10:46 am

Thats a heck of a find. Can't be that bad.

Good luck in BofLA, that place is magical! I went July 4 week 2 years ago and it was 63* and I was in a 5mm. I sure hope it's warmer than that for you all.
castronova
prick

Postby SBH2Oman » July 31st, 2017, 10:56 am

castronova wrote:Thats a heck of a find. Can't be that bad.

Good luck in BofLA, that place is magical! I went July 4 week 2 years ago and it was 63* and I was in a 5mm. I sure hope it's warmer than that for you all.

Thanks - I go every year, often several times and have dove there in May, June, July, and August. There is a huge difference between the months in terms of the water and fish - in May/June the water is often in the 60's and there are white seabass in the kelp and the viz is pretty much like it is here. But in August I've had 50'+ viz and water so warm that it was too hot with a steamer and trunks! (and dorado everywhere). Part of what makes it so awesome.
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby John Hughes » August 5th, 2017, 1:44 pm

that's a heck of a deal on a suit Brent.

Just got back last night. Water was 76-82 dependent on which direction you went. I'll call you and give you the full report.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby SBH2Oman » August 6th, 2017, 6:27 am

Sounds good John, looking forward to it. I have a fish story for you as well. :)

On the suit, I wanted to provide some more feedback - the measurements listed in the Amazon selling page are close but not exact to the actual suit. The biggest difference is that the arm and leg length is a little shorter and the waist (between chest and hips) is a bit baggie. The bottoms were also a couple inches too short based on measurements, but we're cutting off the farmer John part anyway so that doesn't really matter. Still seems like a great deal, just be careful to try it on as soon as you get it to make sure it fits comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Return to Guns & Gear