Moana Waterman Fin Comparison

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Moana Waterman Fin Comparison

Postby Kirby » August 2nd, 2017, 1:54 pm

SHORT REVIEW: Euro > Hybrid

LONG REVIEW:

I recently tore a fin pocket on one of my ~3 year old Moana Hybrid fins. Tearing a fin pocket when you live in the middle of nowhere is inconvenient to say the least, especially when you dive for work.

Fortunately I had recently found a single bodyboarding which kept the circles I was swimming in fairly large.

So on a recent trip back to the States, along with getting a new fin pocket, figured I'd get a backup pair of long blades. I'd been very satisfied with my Hybrids, but figured I'd diversify, even if ever so slightly.

I've heard Kyle Duffy from Moana go on and on about the shorter Euro blades. Kyle has been on some very deep dives (roughly twice as deep as I ever want to go), using the Euro softs, so I figured what the heck - my old pair was Hybrid Medium so I decided on the Euro Mediums.

The Euros aren't called 'Hybrid' as to avoid confusion with Moana's longer Hybrid blades, but they still have the increasing blade resistance towards the foot pocket just like the Hybrids. The Euro mediums are also noticeably softer and about 5 inches shorter than the Hybrid mediums. I wanted the shorter blades for ease of travel but the softness made me wonder how they would do in current or on deep dives.

Length Comparison - Euro on top of Hybrid

I've been out enough times and put enough scratches in the new Euros to confidently say that I prefer them to the Hybrids. They feel more responsive, are more forgiving in normal kicking, but still have plenty of strength to push through serious currents. Being shorter than the Hybrids, the Euros are also more maneuverable and handle better when doing flippy-floppy, lobster grabbing, shallow water reef diving. My new Euros are now my everyday pair, and old Hybrids the backup.

Here is a comparison photo of my old Hybrid Mediums (top) and new Euro Mediums (bottom). Yeah, I'm a cheap-ass and scored a deal by replacing my pocket with a blue one. :happysad:

Kirby
spearo

Re: Moana Waterman Fin Comparison

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 2nd, 2017, 3:50 pm

Interesting. You're skinny. I wonder if the Euros would work for big fat guys?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby mori » August 2nd, 2017, 5:14 pm

That tear in the footpockets are easily repaired with the tire glue.

For high stress or high flex areas like you have on your torn footpockets, I'd reinforce it with a patch of rubber sheet over the rip.
I use a piece of rubber weight belt material, but you can find tire patch material at your local auto parts store. I've repaired a few pockets with torn heels, and some with tears similar to yours, and none of them haven't failed yet.

Since you are a superman diver, you might want to put reinforcement patches on all your footpockets, so they won't tear on you when you most need it.

Mori
mori
Mori

Postby Kirby » August 2nd, 2017, 6:26 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Interesting. You're skinny. I wonder if the Euros would work for big fat guys?

I am. Very. But if I had to guess what you'd think about these fins, I'd bet you'd really like them. You must know someone nearby who can let you try a pair out?
Kirby
spearo

Postby Kirby » August 2nd, 2017, 6:35 pm

mori wrote:That tear in the footpockets are easily repaired with the tire glue.

For high stress or high flex areas like you have on your torn footpockets, I'd reinforce it with a patch of rubber sheet over the rip.
I use a piece of rubber weight belt material, but you can find tire patch material at your local auto parts store. I've repaired a few pockets with torn heels, and some with tears similar to yours, and none of them haven't failed yet.

Since you are a superman diver, you might want to put reinforcement patches on all your footpockets, so they won't tear on you when you most need it.

Mori

Thanks Mori.

Interesting idea about adding reinforcement before I blow out any more pockets. I think it was more likely the fin getting jammed into a sport tube than a kick from one of my chicken legs that caused that crack to form.

I actually tried to glue the pocket with a few high strength rubber glues available here, but struck out finding anything that Moana recommended and struck out having any available glues hold. I'll definitely end up at the tire shop next time.

Cheers
Kirby
spearo

Postby Steve G » August 2nd, 2017, 6:50 pm

Thanks for the post.
Steve G
kook

Postby castronova » August 3rd, 2017, 6:02 am

Good review for divers searching for fins. I also have the Moana Euro. I used to have the Hybrid Softs and Hybrid Medium and have had DiveR medium and now soft.

When I purchased the Moana Euro I had DiveR already so went with shorter and different style fin to have some diversity, same as you. They are great complimenting styles of fins and I actually use both. If I'm diving drifts and deep up and down stuff I prefer the Moana Euro. Multiple day trips the extra soft Euro is also pretty amazing at minimizing leg fatigue. If I am swimming a lot, anchored, against current, or shooting in bluewater where I will have to chase down floats for wahoo/tuna I will use the DiveR. There is no beating DiveR for surface swimming and they are excellent fins otherwise as well. I compare them pretty close to the Moana Hybrid.

Great advice on the tire repair for footpockets Mori. I would have been skeptical had any random person recommended that without proven experience.
castronova
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 3rd, 2017, 8:28 am

For what it's worth I cracked the tendon
In my Pathos pocket last week and tried the tire glue recommended by Mori. The day isn't over but it's holding so far.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 3rd, 2017, 11:45 am

Spoke too soon.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 3rd, 2017, 2:36 pm

I guess my awesome fin stroke is just too powerful. The glue didn't last through the second kelp bed.

My dive buddy today thinks he many have a Pathos pocket in that size with a broken blade and he'll send it to me. Is there any trick to getting the blade out of the pocket?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Guns & Gear