Mask rec

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Mask rec

Postby NaClAddict » November 29th, 2017, 5:42 pm

So, sometimes my mask presses on my Neanderthal brow really hard. After a while it kills my upper sinuses. I try to be diligent about equalizing my mask but this pain has still hampered some dives. Especially when I'm searching for WSB, diving with varying depths.

Any mask recommendations out there? Especially if they have a wide field of vision. I was thinking of the Neptonics ambush mask. I feel like their gear is well vetted and they boast pretty hard about that mask. Also, whose got the bigger selection to try, Spear America Torrance or Neptonics Long Beach?
NaClAddict
spearo

Re: Mask rec

Postby scorpaenichthys » November 29th, 2017, 6:04 pm

I had a similar problem with brow pressure a while back, and I ended up landing on a frameless mask (Oceanic Shadow). It's not super low volume, but it's smaller than a lot of other common spearfishing masks (Riffe Mantis comes to mind) and it seals up surprisingly well with my beard. I don't feel like it takes a lot of air to equalize it, but I also don't have a ton of experience with the extra low volume masks that people seem to love. FWIW, though, I bottom out around 40ft, so I can't speak to how much you'd notice the volume on deeper dives. They make a mini version if that's a concern, but it's a little too narrow for my face, so I went for the full size.

The only other mask I've tried that fits as comfortably on my face is the Omer Alien.
scorpaenichthys
polespearo

Postby chris oak » November 29th, 2017, 7:11 pm

I use the riffe mantis mask but it's not low volume. I don't mind as I cheat and use it for a little breath when I'm deep. I had the Riffe Naida and it tended to pinch my head like you described. I've got the riffe frameless for scuba at work and it works well but it's big.

Spear America in Torrance is HUGE, the original Irvine location also has a ton of gear. Neptonics just expanded their store and I haven't visited it yet.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » November 30th, 2017, 9:50 am

A trick I've seen from the neanderthals is to sand/grind down that ridge from inside the mask. It seems to work out well for them. Fortunately, the rest of us more evolved species don't have to deal with this problem.

The more popular mask I've seen is the agualung micromask. There's a lot of copies and variations of it and they all seem to work well for a lot of people. I suspect they come from the same manufacturer. It has really low volume and wider field of view. The skirt is less giving though. With that said, I wear a normal low cost JBL mask and it serves me well for the last several years.
dam
diving god

Postby Rob102 » November 30th, 2017, 9:05 pm

I’ve used the technisub micromask for the last 5 years. I’ve tried several Omer masks and the all hurt my forehead. I was given a knock off of the technisub but no matter what I did it always fogged up.
Rob102
spearo

Postby coreyf » December 4th, 2017, 9:25 am

Rob102 wrote:I’ve used the technisub micromask for the last 5 years. I’ve tried several Omer masks and the all hurt my forehead. I was given a knock off of the technisub but no matter what I did it always fogged up.

Did you try flaming the lenses? Run a lighter or I even use a propane torch (for cleaner burn) and torch the glass. I was told that silicon beads accumulate on the glass, and cause the fog up.
coreyf
spearo

Postby Rob102 » December 4th, 2017, 1:01 pm

coreyf wrote:
Rob102 wrote:I’ve used the technisub micromask for the last 5 years. I’ve tried several Omer masks and the all hurt my forehead. I was given a knock off of the technisub but no matter what I did it always fogged up.

Did you try flaming the lenses? Run a lighter or I even use a propane torch (for cleaner burn) and torch the glass. I was told that silicon beads accumulate on the glass, and cause the fog up.

Yep, I burned it twice, used toothpaste, nothing worked. So, I threw it in the trash. Life short and you only get so many dive days. I’m not going to waste one on cheap gear.
Rob102
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » December 4th, 2017, 7:02 pm

My wife won a nice scuba mask in a few raffle. Took 3 tries with a plumbers torch to get the residue off. I’ve noticed the residue fogs up when the torch hits it then burns off clean. If you see fog then let it cool off and give it another pass
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » December 12th, 2017, 9:49 am

Not that anyone should listen to me...but I got the Omer alien. It doesn’t have the tightest seal to my face but should be more than adequate with the ample soft skirt. When I press the mask to my brow, with my hand or hard suction via nose, it doesn’t crush my brow.

So, if you are a fugly, flat faced, hapa, with a Neanderthal helmet; consider the Omer alien.

I’ll update after I dive with it.

Thanks to Neptonics for great service.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby dariian » December 12th, 2017, 9:17 pm

I have a big brow and small nose and the Hatch Periscope fits me better than any I've used. Pretty much every mask leaks on me and this one doesn't.
dariian
spearo

Postby kavachi » December 19th, 2017, 11:34 pm

dariian wrote:......Pretty much every mask leaks on me and this one doesn't.

same here!
Beuchat Maxlux - frameless with super soft skirt, comes in small and large - fits all sorts of weird shaped heads, and has a game-changing vision field, no more craning your neck up when lying on the bottom. often on special online :handgestures-thumbup:
kavachi
polespearo

Return to Guns & Gear