Cali kelp guys...anyone using this for cbass?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Cali kelp guys...anyone using this for cbass?

Postby NORCALer » December 24th, 2017, 9:30 am

Man, these Gannet intergrated bungie/floatlines look sweet. Anyone using them? Are they easier to manage than traditional 75' floatlines? Looks like Santa might have to double back to my place. Happy holidays. Thx. Tommy
https://gannetdive.com/collections/bung ... 4219055363
NORCALer
polespearo

Re: Cali kelp guys...anyone using this for cbass?

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 24th, 2017, 12:35 pm

I use a 125 footer for seabass in the kelp and a 50 footer attached to a float in open water for yellowtail. I find them slightly easier to get into
the water without tangles than vinyl
lines and I like it that they won’t leak and sink
if they get punctured by a fishhook in the kelp.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby NORCALer » December 24th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Does the 125' have the integrated bungee? Good to hear they aren't as big a pain as traditional types. Good point about water leakage. Didn't think of that. Thx Bill
NORCALer
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 24th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Just click on the size option and you’ll see one with a total lenght of 125 and a bungee length of 30 feet.

Some people might think 125 is overkill, but I would go for at least 100. With two fish I’ve had the mini carrot on the end of the 125 hit my hand and felt like I would have lost the fish if I had a shorter line or nothing on the end if the line to grab.

The tangling is a funny thing. I can usually get a vinyl line into the water just fine. But if a buddy has brought in my line the last time, or if I’ve let it get loose in my bag, it can be a real mess when I try to lay it out. The same thing applies with that soft MFP stuff, but instead of huge loops of vinyl to figure out, there are small knots of soft stuff and it’s easy to see what to pull through what.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » December 24th, 2017, 8:32 pm

[quote="Bill McIntyre"]Just click on the size option and you’ll see one with a total lenght of 125 and a bungee length of 30 feet.

Some people might think 125 is overkill, but I would go for at least 100.
/quote]

I 100 percent agree with Bill. Red triangle and Neptonics built mine at 120' and there are many times when I've reached the end of that line, I've looked closely at Gannets and I really like their integrated floatlines as well. A big wsb can easily take that line to the end, you gotta figure they are running at an angle and around kelp, 120' is barely enough. I also am a firm believer in having either an integrated bungee or a added bungee at the front where the shooting line attaches, it makes it harder for the big seabass to tear out.

I rarely tear out seabass, but I also let them run the full length of the floatline before putting the brakes on them. At 120' you have tremendous stretch because of the long length of the floatline and the bungee, seabass have white muscle, that means they don't have a lot of red blood cells like pelagics so they tire quicker. On the negative side, because I let them run so long I usually have to cut them out deep.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby NORCALer » December 29th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Chris-any chance you can post a pic of your bungee set up to your shooting line. I have a neptonics breakaway & one of Josh's old light blue six foot bungees. Those things are butter! Thx. T
NORCALer
polespearo

Postby NORCALer » January 4th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Chris- this is what you were talking about as far as bungee attached to shooting line? Dug out this old model six footer from neptonics. The rubber is really soft. Thx.
Attachments
NORCALer
polespearo

Return to Guns & Gear