How far gone is too far gone with cracked carbon?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

How far gone is too far gone with cracked carbon?

Postby scorpaenichthys » December 31st, 2017, 8:38 pm

I came home this evening really stoked to be pulling into the driveway with a new-to-me kayak, but when I grabbed my gear to play around with stowage options, I realized one of my Subcrafts has a small (~1") crack through the blade a few inches back from the tip. New carbons won't be in my budget for some time, so I've been scouring Craigslist for anything that will get me in the water for under $100. In the mean time, though, I'm curious if this looks like the kind of thing that would be repairable, or if diving on these fins is out of the question moving forward.

I'd only need it to last a year or so, which for me is usually less than 30 days on the water, and most of my drops are shallow. I got into the carbons because I have bad knees and a bad lower back, not because I need them for deep drops. Still, for obvious reasons I'd rather not have a fin fail catastrophically at depth.

I realize any fix is going to be a band-aid, but for those of you more experienced with composites than I am, do you think it's worth trying to patch it, or should I cut my losses and move on?

scorpaenichthys
polespearo

Re: How far gone is too far gone with cracked carbon?

Postby dirtydiver76 » December 31st, 2017, 8:47 pm

I don’t think they are too far gone at all. That crack looks like something was thrown on it vs use but I bet the warranty will still be covered on those.

Send an email to info@redtrianglespearfishing.com with pics and how you think it happened and I’m 99.99% sure they will take care of you.
dirtydiver76
noob

Postby chris oak » January 1st, 2018, 10:00 am

Don't try to fix them until you check with the warranty for sure, once you start trying to repair them yourself it will void the warranty.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby scorpaenichthys » January 1st, 2018, 10:25 am

dirtydiver76 wrote:I don’t think they are too far gone at all. That crack looks like something was thrown on it vs use but I bet the warranty will still be covered on those.

Send an email to info@redtrianglespearfishing.com with pics and how you think it happened and I’m 99.99% sure they will take care of you.

Red Triangle for the win! Thanks for the suggestion!
scorpaenichthys
polespearo

Return to Guns & Gear