Oil finish

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Oil finish

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 15th, 2018, 9:51 am

I just bought a teak gun with oil finish. I haven’t had a gun without epoxy in over 20 years but I recall using Tung oil on my Riffe. Is that the best way to go? Any tips on application, number of coats, etc?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Oil finish

Postby phil herranen » January 15th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:I just bought a teak gun with oil finish. I haven’t had a gun without epoxy in over 20 years but I recall using Tung oil on my Riffe. Is that the best way to go? Any tips on application, number of coats, etc?

It probably only has a couple coats on it now , I would do a coat a day for the next week to build up some finish thickness , and after that just wipe it down every month or two depending on use. That's if you want it to look like new , if not do nothing and let it turn into driftwood
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby NaClAddict » January 15th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Tung oil can glue hardware to the gun causing wood damage if the screws are removed later. Take out any screws you may want to remove before using tung.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby phil herranen » January 15th, 2018, 2:51 pm

NaClAddict wrote:Tung oil can glue hardware to the gun causing wood damage if the screws are removed later. Take out any screws you may want to remove before using tung.

A little silicone grease will solve that and should be done anyway to prevent wood rot
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 16th, 2018, 9:31 am

Thanks guys. Should I sand it between coats? And with what?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby NaClAddict » January 16th, 2018, 2:57 pm

phil herranen wrote:
NaClAddict wrote:Tung oil can glue hardware to the gun causing wood damage if the screws are removed later. Take out any screws you may want to remove before using tung.

A little silicone grease will solve that and should be done anyway to prevent wood rot

Silicone over the hardware or back out and a dab in the screw hole? Back out halfway and lube?
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby phil herranen » January 16th, 2018, 4:07 pm

NaClAddict wrote:
phil herranen wrote:

Silicone over the hardware or back out and a dab in the screw hole? Back out halfway and lube?

Back out all the way put grease in hole and on screw and put back together
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 16th, 2018, 4:53 pm

phil herranen wrote:
NaClAddict wrote:
phil herranen wrote:

Back out all the way put grease in hole and on screw and put back together

So I did that.

I figured "when all else fails, follow the instructions." The back of the Formsby Tung Oil can said to rub it with very fine steel wool between coats, so I figure I'll try that. I just applied the first coat and its already looking better.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby phil herranen » January 16th, 2018, 9:36 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Thanks guys. Should I sand it between coats? And with what?

I use a very fine scotch Brite pad lightly between coats basically just to smooth any lumps .
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Behslayer » January 16th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Steel wool can be your friend. But you need to understand what it does. If you are looking for the Glass smooth finish, it's not your friend. If you were to take a piece of teak and give it a very long rub with Steel wool, you could get something very cool looking. You would have removed the softer parts of the wood and left the harder ridges. Essentially you are accenting the Grain.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby castronova » January 17th, 2018, 6:28 am

phil herranen wrote:
Bill McIntyre wrote:Thanks guys. Should I sand it between coats? And with what?

I use a very fine scotch Brite pad lightly between coats basically just to smooth any lumps .

I just made a mahogany slab live edge table and this is what I did. It came out spectacular. I did a few coats with fine then the last 2 coats with extra fine finishing pad.
castronova
prick

Return to Guns & Gear