Does anyone sell a low volume prescription lens dive mask?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Does anyone sell a low volume prescription lens dive mask?

Postby spearthebigones » January 16th, 2018, 12:38 pm

I wear glasses and I don't prefer to use contact lenses. I'm fairly used to seeing the blurry fish shapes underwater. But I thought it would be cool to own a prescription lens dive mask so I could see everything a little clearer.

I searched online, but all I could find were big bulky scuba masks that were not low volume. And that's not going to work for me.

So does anyone sell a low volume prescription lens dive mask?
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Re: Does anyone sell a low volume prescription lens dive mas

Postby chris oak » January 16th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Daniel I don't have the answer to your question but it reminded me of something Lyle Davis told me. I'm getting the age nearsighted/farsighted thing and Lyle showed me where he glued in one of those chips in the bottom of his goggles to make it easier to see things up close. I keep forgetting to do it and it's getting so bad I can barely see the numbers on my d4 so I gotta do it soon.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby spearthebigones » January 16th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Hmm... you can glue glass to your goggle? I have not thought of this.

Is there any how to thread to explain the best way of doing this?
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 16th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Only what I've seen on bottle boards, I'm going to have to try it on an old mask first and if it works I'll do a diy.

"I have a very strong myoptic correction so I can't go with a lens reader mask.
I don't want to buy new bifocal lenses for my current mask - distance works great and they are EXPENSIVE
I tried the DiveOptix stick on lenses. Just used one for my left eye (the side my gauges are on). With the cocavity of the my lenses I couldn't get them to stick, even following all the advice from multiple sources.
I glued in the DiveOptix lens with Loctite's Instant Glass Glue. Worked great until I soaked my mask after a pool dive
I bought a lens reader "Magni View" with UV curing glue ($29). The lens is convex/flat. It is to be mounted on the INSIDE of the mask with the flat part touching the mask glass. This works great! But:

1. With the concave curve of my prescription I had to mount it backwards (concave to convex). I bought the 3 diaopter because it matched the convex inside surface of my mask better. Not perfect mind you, just better. I filled the space with extra glue (find out how much first using drops of water). I ended up with some small bubbles between the pieces. In the water the bubbles are invisible.

2. You lose a significant level of correction if the lens is glued to the outside of you mask. Probably need 3x the optical strength that way. Believe me I considered it and experimented with cheap lenses. I considered using the lens from a cheap pair of reading glasses. They are made from plastic. The glass lens with the Magni View is more scratch resistant.

3. The round lens took up too much of my overall left eye viewing area so I mounted the round magnifier lens partly below and to the center of the left mask lens. Looks funny, but works great.

A very good buy for $29.
"

and
"if its glass on glass Loctite 350 UV curing (cat number 35038), just a little blob then press all the bubbles out, afterwards when its cured use a craft knife VERY CAREFULLY to trim of the excess.

another one i have used and its much cheaper is locktite glass bond UV curing (bar code number 5 010266 1456000)

remember if you don't have a uv light you will have to use natural day/sun light and if the lenses are tinted the bond may not cure
"
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Robert Watson » January 16th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Check in at your local dive shop. At the shop I work for we have a vendor that we send masks to. The vendor bonds custom corrective lens. You should be able to get them installed on any mask. It usually cost around $150 not including the mask. The masks look very good and we have never had any issues with quality.
Robert Watson
spearo

Postby spearthebigones » January 16th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info Chris! That's an interesting read.

And Robert you're right! I searched online and found a place that will fit a custom prescription lens to any mask. https://prescriptiondivemasks.com/steps ... -an-order/

Although this one cost $169
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby Nate Baker » January 17th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Daniel, that link is the hot tip. I've been using prescription masks for many years, and I've owned several.

You don't need to buy a new mask. Just send them your mask and prescription, and they'll glue the lenses inside. You do have to show them where your pupils are, which is easy looking in the mirror. Just mark them with a sharpee on the outside.

I've used several sources, and some of them use glue that clouds up over time. That guy in San Pedro, Dr. O'Brien, is notorious for that.

It's absolutely worth the investment, particularly for seabass and night lobster diving.
Nate Baker
kook

Postby John Hughes » January 17th, 2018, 1:38 pm

chris oak wrote:Daniel I don't have the answer to your question but it reminded me of something Lyle Davis told me. I'm getting the age nearsighted/farsighted thing and Lyle showed me where he glued in one of those chips in the bottom of his goggles to make it easier to see things up close. I keep forgetting to do it and it's getting so bad I can barely see the numbers on my d4 so I gotta do it soon.

be careful with this. I was having the same problem and a generous soul here on the board gave me a few masks with these in them. I was to the point where I couldn't read my scuba computer at that point and it was getting worse the deeper I'd go. The masks worked great for reading my computer I was super stoked until I tried to go bug diving one night with these and I just floundered. I had a hard time grabbing bugs because my eyes would bounce back and forth between the regular dive mask and the readers and I was having a hard time finding depth when I went for the grab.

I have two pairs of these masks (both high quality masks) still in my garage if somebody would like to try them. It may work better for you than it did for me.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » January 17th, 2018, 1:38 pm

I talked to my optometrist friend, she said you can get a pair of readers and grind them down and glue the lenses in (for old dudes like me). I'm going to try it and I'll do a diy if it works. If it doesnt work then someone is going to score a deal on a mask with glue chipped off on the inside...
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » January 17th, 2018, 1:39 pm

John Hughes wrote: I just floundered. I had a hard time grabbing bugs because my eyes would bounce back and forth between the regular dive mask and the readers and I was having a hard time finding depth when I went for the grab.

I have two pairs of these masks (both high quality masks) still in my garage if somebody would like to try them. It may work better for you than it did for me.

please do not blame your lack of skill with your lobster catching abilities with your split fins :rofl:
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » January 17th, 2018, 9:11 pm

chris oak wrote:I talked to my optometrist friend, she said you can get a pair of readers and grind them down and glue the lenses in (for old dudes like me). I'm going to try it and I'll do a diy if it works. If it doesnt work then someone is going to score a deal on a mask with glue chipped off on the inside...

Don't bother grinding down your readers, they sell little triangular readers at the dive shop specifically made for this. They are cheap too, but if you are cheaper Chris and want to grind down that 40 year old pair you've been saving of your grand dads, go for it. :greetings-clappingorange:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » January 18th, 2018, 5:33 am

Do they really? Ive seen the plastic stick on ones, but not thicker ones, the plastic one was more like a film that you can't glue on. Does PWO carry them?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » January 18th, 2018, 3:30 pm

chris oak wrote:Do they really? Ive seen the plastic stick on ones, but not thicker ones, the plastic one was more like a film that you can't glue on. Does PWO carry them?

PWO has them. Why don't you just try the ones I have in my garage? It'll give you an idea if they work for you or not. I'll take some pics and post them in a while so you can see what I'm talking about.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby John Hughes » January 18th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Here's the pictures of the masks with readers I have if anybody is interested. I'll pass them on free of charge since they were given to me.

the first one is a Riffe frameless and you can see the lenses in them. I have the other one around somewhere which I'll dig up if anyone is interested. It's the same as this mask which is a fairly high end (and lower volume) Atomic mask. Great field of vision on that mask and I think it cost around $160 if I remember correctly.

I'll be happy to pass these on to you Chris or anybody else if you're looking to try some readers. That way it will save you from grinding down Grandads lenses you've been hanging onto. :)

Attachments
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » January 18th, 2018, 7:36 pm

yeah let me try the riffe one out John, those pieces you have in them aren't glass though. That's the stick on ones I was talking about, it's plastic that sticks to the mask and I'm curious how they work out.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » January 18th, 2018, 9:00 pm

chris oak wrote:yeah let me try the riffe one out John, those pieces you have in them aren't glass though. That's the stick on ones I was talking about, it's plastic that sticks to the mask and I'm curious how they work out.

no problem Chris. I'll drop them off on your desk at work along with some dog treats :rofl:

They do what they are supposed to do which is enlarge small numbers for our tired, old eyes.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby 32juan » January 20th, 2018, 8:20 am

A few years back, I realized I needed glasses. I looked into masks that accepted/fit prescription lenses, and was pleasantly surprised when I discovered the mask I own, the Cressi Focus had the option built in.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-divin ... n0QAvD_BwE

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-csbmlf/cre ... focus-mask

I still haven't bought a set, but it's nice to have the option.
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
spearo

Return to Guns & Gear