Action Cameras

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Action Cameras

Postby chris oak » January 17th, 2018, 7:15 pm

So I've been looking to try a gopro clone and have been reading up on reviews. High on the ranking were the yi action cam and the DB power action cam. Around xmas there was a black friday deal on the DB power 4K so I picked it up, at the time it was on sale for about 60 dollars.

The camera is solid, it comes with a waterproof case and a bunch of accessories and two batteries. It does not come with a charger (you have to plug the usb right into the side of the camera), nor are there any extra batteries available to buy right now. This is where the YI has much better support on accessories as you can buy extra batteries and chargers, but make sure you check the model number. The batteries are said to be warrentied for life which I find hard to believe as my gopro batteries only last about a year.

The videos are great, better than my old gopro 2. In good lighting they are very clear, I haven't tried out the regular photo function yet. It has a touch screen in the back to view photos/videos, but you can't use this when the case is on. It also has wifi support which I haven't played with yet either.

What I dislike the most is the audible beep is too quiet and I can't raise it enough to hear it when I'm diving. My normal goto is to turn the camera on and off when I see something cool, that way it makes it a lot easier to edit down later. With this camera, since I can't hear if it is on or off I can't tell if I turned it on or of so I just leave it on and it runs the entire time. Battery time has been about two hours on each battery which is plenty and like the gopro it splits up the videos about 2 gigs each. I also dislike the battery because it has a pull tab on it and because gopro batteries can swell after age, I can see this being a major pain in the ass later if you are trying to remove the battery. It takes a micro sd card which you insert in the side.

That being said all in all I like the camera, it's cheap and I won't feel bad if I lose it later on. It fits all the gopro attachments I already have and like I said the videos in good lighting are impressive. Definitely something to consider for a 4k cheapo but if you can get the YI and can source out extra batteries you might want to try that one because like I said not having a charger is kind of lame because the charge time on a plug into the camera is pretty long.

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Touchscr ... ion+camera
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Action Cameras

Postby Avenues » January 18th, 2018, 7:56 pm

Thanks for sharing Chris, I flooded my gopro 3+ on the first dive of 2018 and ended up replacing it with the Yi action cam. It's a good (low priced) camera with awesome battery life, however I have the same complaint regarding the sound volume that you have with the DB. With that said I can use the reflection on my dive watch to verify I'm recording by looking for the flashing light. For the price I don't think I'll go back to a gopro.
James Grover
www.youtube.com/user/jgroverman/videos
Instagram: jgroverman
Avenues
kook

Re: Action Cameras

Postby chris oak » January 18th, 2018, 8:40 pm

That's a great idea James, I'll try that with my watch. I'm not sure if mine will work that way, I was scratching the hell out of it on bug dives so I picked up some of that 3m clear protectant film for the front of the watch and it might cut out the glare. I'm with you, while I've never flooded my gopro, I have a bunch of buddies who flooded them brand new. At 100 bucks all of these other action cams make it much more affordable for us to use in case we lose/break them.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Guns & Gear