rollergun shaft diameter

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

rollergun shaft diameter

Postby coreyf » January 22nd, 2018, 10:10 am

I shoot a 120cm single band roller. I've been told its a 3 stage loading process. The shaft has a loading tab and there are 2 hooks under the barrel. For seabass and yt it shoots a 9/32" shaft with a mori tip and 300lb mono. The band is 16mm and I know nothing of stretch ratios. Basically it's hard as F to load and that vein in my forehead pops out. It is setup with a MVD roller muzzle and it has taken some good fish. It has also not taken some good fish -- meaning pulled out shots from lack of penetration. I think I've lost more good fish with this gun than all others combined. I like the laser accuracy and would like to continue using it in the kelp.

My question is -- What is the best shaft diameter for a gun of this size. I thought the thin shaft would be light and carry far and penetrate well. It was brought to my attention that maybe a thicker 5/16 shaft is better. It will have more mass and hit harder, and penetrate best. Then there is the inbetween, 7.5mm shaft?

Will the 5/16" (8mm) be too heavy and fall short? The analogy of a feather was brought to my attention. No matter how hard or fast you launch a feather, it will only hit with so much force. Is a 9/32 shaft that feather?
coreyf
spearo

Re: rollergun shaft diameter

Postby ryno » January 22nd, 2018, 12:35 pm

Note: I'm by no means an expert on the subject and learn by testing out my own rigs.

I converted one pipe gun to a roller last year and built a wood roller gun as well, here are some of my findings after testing out for a couple months.
(Bands loaded in a safe location, temporarily just for photo before being unloaded)
Bands:
Small ID 14mm Primeline
Regular ID 14mm Primeline
(minimal difference in felt power between the two, small id harder to load but easier than 16mm)

Shafts (all tricut):
Addiction Custom 7.5mm
Salvimar 7.5mm
Red Tide 5/16"

I converted an 80cm pathos and built an 80cm rear handle (note they were single stage, one pull to load).

A couple things I noticed with the thicker shafts:
-->Minimal to No shaft whip
--> Shooting reef fish under 5lbs, the fish usually spin on the shaft after being hit
--> I could shoot into holes and not worry about bending a shaft
--> Shots feel like they have more punch
--> Thicker fish like big sheephead I get full penetration (behind gill plate)

Using a 14mm band some things I noticed:
--> Hand picked 14mm (9/16") rubber that was super stretchy
--> Easy to load
--> Release seems progressive rather than explosive

TL;DR
I like 7.5mm-8mm for all around applications roller and non-roller and generally shoot 14mm (9/16") bands.
ryno
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 22nd, 2018, 8:49 pm

Corey I've got that 7.5mm shaft in mine, if you want to try it out let me know. I don't have any problem with penetration, BUT mine is still messing up where it's tanging in the bands like 30 percent of the time.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby phil herranen » January 23rd, 2018, 11:46 pm

Thinner band ,and maybe a thicker shaft . If you overpower a roller they tangle more and you don't get althea potential out of it , and they are harder to load
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby coreyf » January 29th, 2018, 8:37 am

tried the 7.5. slight tug at the end of 2 wraps. maybe 8mm will be better?
coreyf
spearo

Return to Guns & Gear