Metal wishbone on woodden gun?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Metal wishbone on woodden gun?

Postby Erizo » January 23rd, 2018, 9:24 pm

I just received a 120 Abellan. The bands came with these :

https://www.google.com/search?q=abellan ... NgZQFb_rHM:

Are there any issues with these hitting and dinging the wood?

The gun is so nice, I would like to prevent any damage.

Thanks.
Erizo
spearo

Re: Metal wishbone on woodden gun?

Postby kon » January 23rd, 2018, 10:16 pm

I use articulated metal wishbones for the rear bands on my Abellans, they certainly clear up the sight picture! I haven't used those particular metal inserts but I haven't noticed any damage to the wood from the all metal wishbones I use.
kon
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 24th, 2018, 7:11 am

I’ve purchased three Abellans and they all came with those wishbone inserts. I think they’re great and ordered more for other guns. They make it so easy to change wishbones, change wishbone length, tie bands for closed muzzle guns outside the gun and pull them through muzzle, etc. And the little ball is easier than a knot to push into to the hole when making bands.

And they don’t touch the wood.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Erizo » January 24th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Good to hear I'm good to go.

Bill, are the knots you got in the pics holding up?...it looks like they could get undone any moment.
Erizo
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 24th, 2018, 4:40 pm

I think maybe twice I've had one slip. I think its best to use some sort of cord that has a rough surface, although I've never had that Q-Power line slip, and its pretty slippery. I think it helps to burn a ball on the end too. But the main thing is to just make sure the end is protruding a bit before you start pulling the band back. Once that line going over the end locks down, it isn't going to slip.

I just bought a new gun from Harry, and for what its worth here is the cord he's providing. The same stuff came on the other two guns I've bought so if your gun is new, I imagine that's what you have too.

Of course you could always use of of those plastic inserts in which you run the cord through a hole and tie an overhand knot. That isn't going to slip. But I like these since you don't have to cut the cord if you want to change lengths, take the band out of the gun, etc.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Erizo » January 24th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:
I just bought a new gun from Harry, and for what its worth here is the cord he's providing. The same stuff came on the other two guns I've bought so if your gun is new, I imagine that's what you have too.

Harry, I assume is the guy who sent me the gun from FL. He must clearly like you better because I got no wish bones. Its not a big deal. I have a pretty good idea what material would work.

What bothered me was that Fedex broke my reel... :angry-cussingblack: So Harry said he will send me another reel.

I ordered 2 shafts, a 7.5 mil and an 8 mil...I'd like to try them both to see when each might come in handy. I got to tell you the shafts are a beauty!..

I'd like to send you a pm down the road if I may, as I get to know the gun I would probably have some questions.

Thanks.
Erizo
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 24th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Yes, Harry Kambouropoulos is the guy in Florida. He has always been the US distributor but I believe he may have purchased the company from Victor Abellan and will be moving production from Italy to the US. My Denton 110 and the Albacore 130 that I sold were made of mahogany, but my new Denton 120 is part of the first batch made of teak. Is your gun teak?

I can't believe that Harry didn't send you a couple of pieces of cord for wishbones.

My reel survived the trip, but I didn't know I was getting a reel and didn't want one anyway. I managed to sell it within a day of receiving it.

I ordered two 8 mm shafts- a threaded shaft and a flopper. They are indeed beautiful shafts. I haven't used floppers much in years, but this welded cone has to be nice at smoothing the way through a gill cover. I like those small rest tabs with the line attachment hole. It keeps the shooting line away from the wishones.

You may have noticed that the butt pad sucks. Harry knows it sucks and plans to improve it. There is a guy in Florida who makes a replacement that works great. Not only does it have some rubber, but it moves the gun a bit farther from your chest to that its easier to load. They cost $35 shipped but I have an extra. Maybe we can work out a deal.

I love to drill holes in guns. I've already added a line guide loop on the right side that gets the shooting line away from the bands and keep your float line from being pulled sideways off the line release. And being a pussy, I've added a Wong-style loading tab on the left side.

A friend made me a couple of hi-vis yellow butt pads for both guns, so that's why I have extras.

Send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. I'd be glad to chat.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Erizo » January 24th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Bill, for all I know Harry might have sent the wishbones and they fell out of the box, as the box had s couple of small cuts on the bottom.

Yes, my Denton 120 is Teak.

I rarely have problems with loading pads or lack of loading pads. I load Rob Allen 120s and 130s with no pads no problem. What does concern me is ripping a suit with sharp loading pads. I have a smooth skin suit that survives my Ulusub 4 band loading and my Wong which I sold. The suit has padding from inside but nothing on the outside to protect it.

Putting holes in the guns is something i wouldn't dare doing...I'm not the most handy guy and I would worry I ruin it.

Ill be posting pics of the new purchase soon.

I will reach out to chat too.

Thank you.
Erizo
spearo

Postby castronova » January 25th, 2018, 12:37 pm

I have dove with Abellan guns and a smooth skin Polosub with internal pad for about 3 years and never had a problem ripping it. I did at some point put a small 3mm seadek pad over the stock pad so that hid the screws but I know I dove it quite a while with just a stock butt and smooth skin.

I use the 2.8 mm spectra that Neptonics sells as the wishbones for the Abellan (buy it in bulk not the premade wishbones). They are a little tougher to get through the inserts but never slip. You need to have something that will ball a little when burnt but it needs to have enough diameter too. If you can find that material in 2.2 or 2.5mm it would probably be even better.
castronova
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 25th, 2018, 2:04 pm

castronova wrote:I use the 2.8 mm spectra that Neptonics sells as the wishbones for the Abellan (buy it in bulk not the premade wishbones). They are a little tougher to get through the inserts but never slip. You need to have something that will ball a little when burnt but it needs to have enough diameter too. If you can find that material in 2.2 or 2.5mm it would probably be even better.

I just checked the stuff that Harry sent and it seems to be about 2.5 mm.

My gun seemed a bit rough when it arrived and since I'm not diving this time of year I've been putting on a coat of Tung Oil every day or so. I think I must be up to 6 or 7 coats now, and its starting to look pretty glossy.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » January 25th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Hey Bill, where did you get the extra wishbone inserts from?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 26th, 2018, 4:07 am

I ordered them from Harry. He said he sells a lot of them after people try them. In fact I need to order more since I’ve made bands for a few people.

greekdiver5150@gmail.com
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Guns & Gear