Forza III wetsuit review

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Forza III wetsuit review

Postby Erizo » January 30th, 2018, 1:56 pm

I hate when I'm looking for reviews and I find videos and writings of people's views on an item out of the box. How could you even comment on a product if you have barely use it?
Not the case here, I bought this wetsuit in 2014. I was very curious about the benefits of smooth skin suits. I froze my ass off in the winter with all kinds of 5 mils open cell with the traditional nylon (Who wants to wear a 7 mil and add more weight? Not me). I knew the guys in Europe favor these suits because they are always on inflatables and it keeps them warm.
While traveling in Spain, I saw one made by Sporasub. That suit ripped in a couple of months. So the research for a better option begun.

I found this Forza III made by Polosub. The idea of getting a costume made suit always led me to believe they would be very expensive. They can be but they don't have to be.
I sent my measurements to Polosub and I received my suit in a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. The suit fit nicely. The suit is smooth skin on the outside with a layer of nylon in the middle and open cell in the inside thus the name Forza III (Strong 3).

The suit I ordered was a 5.5 mil. Pants (upper belly cut) and top. I added knee, elbow guards and a chest inner pad for loading. This has always being my cold water suit. I even dove the Colorado River in the middle of February with it.
When most of the crew are seating on the boat in a breeze winter day I am warm. While most guys are wearing 7mil tops and chilly, I am warm. The suit is perfect for off boat diving. The breeze, cool, cold or warm it dries the suit instantly! the typical neoprene suit stays wet and cold for hours.
I did not believe the suit to be more efficient while drooping to depth until I paid attention..it is 100% true. The suit makes you glide down with ease and gets you to the bottom faster (all else being equal).
The suit is not as flexible as other materials but I never felt I needed super flex fit. I hunt slow and move slow under water so no need for a supper stretchy suit IF it fits right. Sometimes however I fell the neck part a little stiff when turning my head sideways,nothing that a little extra material in the next one could not fix.
I dove out of Pangas, Aluminum boats, jet-skies and fiber glass boats, never made any damages to it..of course I always look to avoid sharp edges, nails, hooks and such.
One thing It worn the suit out is the shooting bands that seat under my armpit after I shoot a fish with break away. I mostly shoot reels now. The suit has survived fish spines punctures, all kinds of loading pads and such.

Do you want to save money? Don't order the pants!..the benefit of the suit for what we do here in CA is on the top..If anything the pants do catch on things walking around the boat. Now I wear a 5 mil open cell/nylon pants and this top. The full suit is a little more buoyant than the traditional materials we use so when you mix and match you don't need to worry about more weight.

Yes I would recommend this suit for most of your diving needs. May be not going in to caves or hard core lobstering.
I am going to get a top replacement when needed. Possibly also a 3.5' for paddy hoping and tuna chasing, when it can be windy but the water is kind of warm. Although I have seen other companies make similar suits that might be worth while to research.
Attachments
Erizo
spearo

Re: Forza III wetsuit review

Postby castronova » January 31st, 2018, 5:39 am

Nice review and from what I've heard, very accurate.

I just tossed my Polosub smooth skin line 3.5mm top away last week. I've had it for 4 years. It was a lined suit and still was warmer than any open cell suit I have. A lot of that has to do with the smooth skin outside keeping you warm when you get out of the boat like the F3. I have also dove it off pangas and small boats and the smooth skin got one small rip in a few years of use. I will probably order another next winter. The last I priced them they were the very similar in cost or even cheaper than brand name rack suits.
castronova
prick

Postby Erizo » January 31st, 2018, 9:38 am

castronova wrote:Nice review and from what I've heard, very accurate.

I just tossed my Polosub smooth skin line 3.5mm top away last week. I've had it for 4 years. It was a lined suit and still was warmer than any open cell suit I have. A lot of that has to do with the smooth skin outside keeping you warm when you get out of the boat like the F3. I have also dove it off pangas and small boats and the smooth skin got one small rip in a few years of use. I will probably order another next winter. The last I priced them they were the very similar in cost or even cheaper than brand name rack suits.

I think as the the technology gets better the smooth skin could be found at a little lower price. I would consider an option of the rack if the fit is good.

I have being looking at this one made by Salvimar, the problem is they don't sell the top only : https://www.nautilusspearfishing.com/product/10378/

And a guy I know just bought costume made pants from this guy for $100. This guys suits have the flannel inside that surfing suits are using. I bet a 3.5 mil top with flannel is super nice for summer around here. https://www.hiheatwetsuits.com/
Erizo
spearo

Postby castronova » February 2nd, 2018, 7:59 am

I have been following HI heat for some time. The new site and newer suits are getting better and better. I just don't know anything about the quality. Obviously if its even mediocre for the price it seems like it would be worth it. Might be worth a try.
castronova
prick

Return to Guns & Gear