how many wraps of mono on your gun?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

how many wraps of mono on your gun?

Postby chris oak » September 5th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I've always been what I call a 2 full wrap (from the shaft, around the muzzle, back to the release, back up to the guide, back to the release, back to the guide and back to the release. There will be 2 full wraps around the guide when I'm done. If the gun has 4' from the shaft that makes it 25 feet of mono. There's no way a 59" gun is going to get 25 feet of solid penetration.

I was just watching a video where I stoned a seabass, you can clearly see that the mono is still dangling after the penetration and I'd bet that even with my 4 band gill gun I'm only getting about a wrap and a half of penetration. I have hit yellows long range where I thought I was to the end of the shooting line but now I'm questioning it. I know a lot of florida guys only use a single wrap (from the shaft, around the muzzle, to the release, back up to the guide and back to the release. On a gun that is say 5 feet long that is still close to 20ish feet?

Having a shorter amount of mono would make it easier to cut fish out when they tangle down below. I'm thinking of cutting back on my tuna gun and doing a wrap and a half.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: how many wraps of mono on your gun?

Postby Behslayer » September 5th, 2019, 11:03 pm

Chris, it's a relatively important topic, or atleast a fun one. I'm a uge fan of the halfwrap. Because like you say. A 59" Gun doesn't need 25' of range. But, 12.5" is too little. I figure 18' is still long enough for any shot I'm taking with a 59" Gun and I still have Kill range at that distance. So I put a halfway line guide for a half wrap. Additionally this is a very good way to avoid band tangles. But.. I like this more with a Reel. Because the shot may pull line out of the reel. But if it's a fixed to the end of the gun it's not as long and also has less give
Attachments
Behslayer
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 6th, 2019, 8:13 am

I took Jon's advice and put on a line guide for a half wrap on my Ulusub 155RH. While I left the reel on for ballast or just in case I want to use it, my shooting line is hooked up to breakaway. I think one wrap would probably be enough for most of my shots, but I'm sure that two wraps is far more than I need and the less line the better when digging a fish out of the kelp.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby castronova » September 9th, 2019, 5:40 am

I posted something about this on the other board when someone was talking about shorter roller guns for shooting tuna. You can make a 100cm inverted roller with 30' of power but a typical 2 wrap set-up will only get you half of that, something divers never really think about. I noticed this on a new Alemanni I bought. I got it for wahoo and need 20' of penetration for the times when the vis is 120' and the fish looks closer than it is. I started testing the gun and realized 20' is about the max I'll ever get because of the 2 wraps coming tight on the 120cm body.

I think another point to make is if you shoot mono you want extra line, more than your intended shooting distance. Mono has memory and if you are shooting to the stretched end of the line those kinks in the line are going to cause a lot of drag coming tight. Your end of range power is going to be less than if you have loose line, that doesn't pull back on the shaft.

This is not to say you should have tons of unnecessary line, just a thought.

I've never met a freediver that uses a single wrap of line. But then again us Key West people are a different breed, we don't really consider ourselves Florida.
castronova
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 9th, 2019, 11:38 am

Mono has memory and if you are shooting to the stretched end of the line those kinks in the line are going to cause a lot of drag coming tight. Your end of range power is going to be less than if you have loose line, that doesn't pull back on the shaft.

That seems like a fair point I recall telling you about a shot I missed on a big yellowtail with my Albacore 130 and one wrap a couple years ago. I was just sure the fish was within range of one wrap, but the shaft seemed to veer off. 400 pound mono does have a lot of memory, so straightening out those kinks has to rob some velocity. Presently I'm using the 1.7 mm stiff spectra so that shouldn't be a problem, but I'm still afraid to use one wrap.

Since the green water is keeping me from going diving, I've measuring and over thinking this stuff. Here are some ranges for my guns with single wrap:

Denton 120- 16.5 feet from the muzzle, 21 feet from the handle.
Denton 110, 14.5 feet from the muzzle, 19.5 feet from the handle.

For double wrap add about 9 feet for the 120 and 8 feet for the 110

Is it fair to measure the range from the handle rather than the muzzle? I would think so. The length of the gun is part of the distance from my eye to the fish. Of course my measurements are just to the range for the tip with no penetration, but surely my arm will be extended enough to allow enough for that.

So Castranova, I know you have a lot of experience with the 120. Do I really need more than a single wrap and 21 feet? Can I really get penetration farther than that? Two wraps is way too much. If I need more, I may put a half wrap line guide on.

My range for my Ulusub 155 (61") with a half wrap is 23 feet.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby castronova » September 9th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I've tested the Denton 120 a good amount in the pool. It will go through a 3" foam target at 6m - 19.5' with no problem. You'd definitely be leaving a lot on the table with only 1 wrap. Whether or not you would ever need it depends on how good you are and what scenarios you hunt in. But at 16' with one wrap you would be better to just carry the Denton 110 with 2 wraps.
castronova
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 9th, 2019, 1:22 pm

[quote="castronova"]I've tested the Denton 120 a good amount in the pool. It will go through a 3" foam target at 6m - 19.5' with no problem./quote]

Is that from the muzzle or the handle?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby castronova » September 9th, 2019, 2:27 pm

From the shaft tip.
castronova
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 9th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Well hell. I guess I better add some line.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Styspearo » September 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm

I made some pool tests (a sea water natural pool) a few days ago. My Denton 115 went through a 2" hard foam at 7m (from spear tip). I had too another foam target, 4" thick, to test penetration, but had not the time to get it rigged.
And I don't consider my gun is optimized, not yet.

So, yes, 2 wraps are quite a must if you want to get the full potential.
Styspearo
noob

Postby kavachi » September 12th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Styspearo wrote:I made some pool tests (a sea water natural pool) a few days ago. My Denton 115 went through a 2" hard foam at 7m (from spear tip). I had too another foam target, 4" thick, to test penetration, but had not the time to get it rigged.
And I don't consider my gun is optimized, not yet.
So, yes, 2 wraps are quite a must if you want to get the full potential.

what diameter x length shaft you using Styspearo?
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Styspearo » September 16th, 2019, 2:57 am

kavachi wrote:what diameter x length shaft you using Styspearo?

Sorry for the late reply, I still have to see how to set a warning when new messages are posted in threads I participate.

I used a 8mm Hunt 150cm shaft for the long shots.
I tried too a modified shaft (added a rest tab), 7 mm 140cm, for closer shots (small reef fish).
Styspearo
noob

Postby kavachi » September 20th, 2019, 12:48 pm

thanks !
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Webby » September 24th, 2019, 11:12 am

I was just contemplating this the other day, on my 65 I have 3 wraps - I feel and was told by a buddy - I have one too many. :eek:
Webby
noob

Postby popgun pete » September 24th, 2019, 12:09 pm

If using mono then I always use 2 line wraps. Springy mono is a necessary evil, I hate the stuff, but it is fast through the water. A bad nick and its strength is close to zero.
popgun pete
polespearo

Return to Guns & Gear