Large fish cleaning boards

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Large fish cleaning boards

Postby chris oak » September 27th, 2019, 7:46 pm

I have a big stainless table outside but need a large 18x30 or 24x36" cutting board for inside the house for the rare occasions when I'm not cleaning fish outside.

I've been reading up and HDPE (high density polyethylene) is the standard for plastic types, I don't want wood because the blood etc sinks in unless you oil it regularly. I've seen the large HDPE pieces on ebay for about 30 bucks and I'll call up plastic depot this week to get a quote but was wondering what you guys use inside the house? Outside the plastic table Hughes got me works fine, I just need a board for inside the house over the sink.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Large fish cleaning boards

Postby Austin Balk » September 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm

I got a piece of HDPE from TAP plastics in San Francisco, but ended up hating it because it was non-textured and the fish slid around way too much while cleaning. I replaced it with a piece of Starboard, which has enough texture and works really well for me. Now I just need some fish to clean.
Austin Balk
noob

Postby chris oak » September 27th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Isn't starboard HDPE but with a little texture? I saw some HDPE boards that had dimples on them, I wonder if that will help out.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » September 28th, 2019, 4:41 am

I always clean even small fish outside as it's just less mess and those tables are so easy to set up. I just use those plastic cutting sheets when cutting down fillets in the house. This one is usually large enough and measures 24". I'm certain you can buy one larger and they are easy to store

John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Alex Ray » September 28th, 2019, 6:49 am

I also clean everything outdoors for the reason Hughes mentioned: easy cleanup. Plus, hosing everything in sight with reckless abandon seems to be more fun for the kids than wiping down indoor surfaces. In a preventive sense, it is easier to not fling scales and slime on the kitchen walls, ceiling, cupboards, etc when you’re outside.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 28th, 2019, 11:36 am

How about these folding tables from Costco?
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Trace » September 28th, 2019, 11:45 am

Nice haul John!
I find those sheets work well on fillets in the house too.
Trace
kook

Postby dam » September 30th, 2019, 9:40 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:How about these folding tables from Costco?

I think Joel has the same table and it seems to work well the numerous times I had to fillet my giant WSB on it. I've been looking on Craigslist for one of those.
dam
diving god

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 30th, 2019, 9:57 am

dam wrote:
Bill McIntyre wrote:How about these folding tables from Costco?

I think Joel has the same table and it seems to work well the numerous times I had to fillet my giant WSB on it. I've been looking on Craigslist for one of those.

Joel is where I got the idea. I bought one just in case I ever get a fish again.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » September 30th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Hey Dam I get those things free off the trade show floor A few times a year

If you want to save yourself $49 hit me up

You can come up for a dive and pick it up. that may cost you a dollar when I get a bigger lobster than you though so maybe it’s worth the $50 to buy your own table and save yourself the one dollar humiliation

Lol
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » September 30th, 2019, 9:17 pm

I've got the filet table and it works great, easy clean up etc. But inside the house occasionally I'm skinning fish etc and the thin sheets might cut through. Plus I HATE our countertop, the previous owner went the tile route instead of granite or fab stone so there's indents everywhere the grout is. Hence why I'd like a thicker board. I called up plastic depot and a 18x30" HDPE board is about 58$, amazon had one for about half that so I'll probably go that route. Interestingly enough, I read on BD that one guy picked up a left over piece of kitchen countertop and had boards made out of it, the problem I see is that that surface is pretty tough and probably dulls knives easily (our stainless table at work kills a sharp blade instantly). I've used a lot of different types of boards and HDPE is def my favorite as it cleans up well afterwards and is soft enough to not jack up my blades.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » October 1st, 2019, 8:11 pm

let us know how it works out Chris. I'm interested to see how you're going to keep it from sliding across the tile or if you'll need to modify it at all.

I'd love to get one I'd be able to cut to the exact size to fit inside my sink or at least one side of it.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » October 13th, 2019, 10:45 am

I ended up going to chef toys, they have online and a bunch of stores. A 18 x 24" was only 17$! Perfect for over the sink trimming, Ill still use the folding table for main processing though.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Guns & Gear