Great gloves

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Great gloves

Postby NaClAddict » October 5th, 2019, 7:07 am

A while back I was at Mori’s shop. I love going there because he always has something new and good. I saw what looked like a pair of mechanic gloves. When I asked he told me they had a Kevlar lining and were cut and puncture proof. The design prevented me from opening my thumb all the way back when in a grabbing position but I went for it anyway and threw down the $40. Yesterday I put them through the paces while grabbing a cheater limit. The gloves were great. I didn’t get a single poke, scratch, or scrape! In fact my partner had some brand new 7mm Kevlar gloves and got spined. He remarked that no matter what you always get at least one wound. Well, not me, at least this time. The gloves are also available online, but not as cheap as Mori had them for.
Attachments
NaClAddict
spearo
 
Posts: 456
Joined: August 2013

Re: Great gloves

Postby 32juan » October 5th, 2019, 6:45 pm

I have the exact same gloves. I love them. Every now and then you can find a deal on them on eBay.

Model is Hexarmor 4018
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
User avatar
32juan
spearo
 
Posts: 478
Joined: July 2013
Location: Two Harbors, Santa Catalina Island

Re: Great gloves

Postby kavachi » October 6th, 2019, 1:48 am

thanks for the recco!! thats some serious protection. what do they feel like out in the bluewater?
User avatar
kavachi
polespearo
 
Posts: 29
Joined: December 2016

Re: Great gloves

Postby NaClAddict » October 6th, 2019, 10:05 am

The same as they do near shore. Just kidding Kavachi. I’m picky about my equipment and I would say they’re probably a little too bulky to make my blue water bag but perfect for bugs. I prefer a thin glove for off shore. The padding makes feeling the trigger a little muddled. They do have a tab at the heel of the palm to help put them on. This really helps when they’re wet. I’ve found the dynema gloves a total pain to put on. I usually use regular mechanics glove for all warm water non bug applications. The only thing I would changed is a little more wrist protection.
NaClAddict
spearo
 
Posts: 456
Joined: August 2013

Re: Great gloves

Postby dam » October 7th, 2019, 9:14 am

32juan wrote:I have the exact same gloves. I love them. Every now and then you can find a deal on them on eBay.

Model is Hexarmor 4018

Hey Juan, I think a while back you recommended those ugly all kevlar gloves. Do you think these are better? Do they do anything for warmth?
User avatar
dam
diving god
 
Posts: 2405
Joined: June 2013

Re: Great gloves

Postby NaClAddict » October 7th, 2019, 9:54 am

Dam, these gloves are thicker. They feel like they have 3 layers. Outer shell like most mechanic gloves, kevlar layer, inner lining. Just a guess though. It does feel as though water doesn’t flow through the glove. This makes them warmer than most other uninsulated gloves. Time will tell how long they perform for. I’ve only used them once.

I’m fat and don’t get cold easy. I feel sorry for skinny noodles like yourself. I only tried these in warmer SoCal water so I can’t comment about the cold winter stuff. I was so stoked to be grabbing bugs again, the glove review was really an after thought. First time ever I haven’t gotten stuck. They were also easy grabs but my suit covers my wrists so I think they’ll be fine in holes.
NaClAddict
spearo
 
Posts: 456
Joined: August 2013

Re: Great gloves

Postby dam » October 7th, 2019, 10:23 am

LOL you understand my sorrows so well. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give these a try.
User avatar
dam
diving god
 
Posts: 2405
Joined: June 2013

Re: Great gloves

Postby kavachi » October 8th, 2019, 1:40 pm

NaClAddict wrote:The same as they do near shore. Just kidding Kavachi. I’m picky about my equipment and I would say they’re probably a little too bulky to make my blue water bag but perfect for bugs. I prefer a thin glove for off shore. The padding makes feeling the trigger a little muddled. They do have a tab at the heel of the palm to help put them on. This really helps when they’re wet. I’ve found the dynema gloves a total pain to put on. I usually use regular mechanics glove for all warm water non bug applications. The only thing I would changed is a little more wrist protection.


thanks NaCl!
will grab a pair for crays, shld make nice work dive gloves too
yep, nothing like a tight pair of grippy dyneema gloves ona grit grip handle for shooting accuracy, trigger sensitivity etc. love the Hyflex 11-518’s.
dab of detergent helps getting em on, but bastards to get off too, the way they suck onto your fingers
havent tried the teflon-lined variety yet
User avatar
kavachi
polespearo
 
Posts: 29
Joined: December 2016

Re: Great gloves

Postby 32juan » October 13th, 2019, 12:39 pm

dam wrote:
32juan wrote:I have the exact same gloves. I love them. Every now and then you can find a deal on them on eBay.

Model is Hexarmor 4018

Hey Juan, I think a while back you recommended those ugly all kevlar gloves. Do you think these are better? Do they do anything for warmth?


I don't remember recommending ugly Kevlar gloves, but these are my new favorite gloves. I don't mind the slightly bulky nature of them. Not getting poked by bugs and fish spines make it all worth it. As for warmth, they're ok. Not as warm as all neoprene, but definitely warmer than the mesh dyneema/cotton gloves I've used in the past.
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
User avatar
32juan
spearo
 
Posts: 478
Joined: July 2013
Location: Two Harbors, Santa Catalina Island

Re: Great gloves

Postby dam » October 15th, 2019, 10:19 am

Got a pair off Ebay and tested them out these this weekend. Great gloves, no pain or punctures. Not as cold as I was worried about but the wrists could've been a little longer. I had some minor scratches on my wrists. Of course, my wetsuit sleeves could've been longer, too. Thanks for the recommendations!
User avatar
dam
diving god
 
Posts: 2405
Joined: June 2013


Return to Guns & Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users