Freedive Recovery Vest

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Freedive Recovery Vest

Postby Jon McMullen » December 8th, 2020, 10:31 pm

I did some searching but was unable to determine why the FRVs are no longer being manufactured, and when this happened.

I know there is an alternative out there but I’d prefer to go with Terry’s product. I have a 9 month old kid now and need to do everything I can to make this a safer hobby. I’m gonna sell off some more gear I don’t use and buy a shark shield and (hopefully FRV) - I hate reading these stories about our fellow divers that have left us too soon.

I’m guessing my chances of getting a late model vest are slim. However, please PM me if you have a lead on one.

Thank you, Jon
Jon McMullen
noob

Re: Freedive Recovery Vest

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 9th, 2020, 7:53 am

He quit selling to the public on Dec 31 of last year. My guess is that people were just too cheap or macho to buy enough to make it worth his while, even though at the end the price was down to $950. The way the announcement was worded “no longer selling to the public” leads me to believe he sill had his contract to sell another version to SEALS and other Special Ops troops.

He said all vests already sold would be warranted through 2025. I don’t know whether that would apply to a second owner though.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » December 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:He quit selling to the public on Dec 31 of last year. My guess is that people were just too cheap or macho to buy enough to make it worth his while, even though at the end the price was down to $950. The way the announcement was worded “no longer selling to the public” leads me to believe he sill had his contract to sell another version to SEALS and other Special Ops troops.

He said all vests already sold would be warranted through 2025. I don’t know whether that would apply to a second owner though.

I'm sure he would warranty it by a second owner, especially a fellow club member.

Too bad you didn't hit me earlier Jon, I just sold my version 4 a few months back. It was basically still brand new.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 9th, 2020, 1:10 pm

John Hughes wrote:I'm sure he would warranty it by a second owner, especially a fellow club member.

Too bad you didn't hit me earlier Jon, I just sold my version 4 a few months back. It was basically still brand new.

As long as he knew the secret hand shake.

How come you sold your's John?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Trace » December 12th, 2020, 1:13 pm

PM Sent
Trace
sea sniper

Postby Matthew Rice » December 13th, 2020, 11:50 am

I'd be interested in learning more about the FRV and it's alternative. The single use module design of the new unit does seem pretty less than ideal, psychologically and monetarily. I know there's value in gear like this, but can also see concerns with it deploying when working around holes, and many accidents happen in those types of conditions. I know there's no panacea to these tragedies, but an SOP that leverages every available advantage to get divers home makes more sense than the often ego
and financial gain driven ambiguity I see now.
Matthew Rice
polespearo

Postby phil herranen » December 23rd, 2020, 12:05 am

The short story of why Terry stopped making the frv is , he was at the point where he would need to make another run of parts and that would require a couple million dollar investment. He has enough units to warreny existing units. Making them was never a for profit proposition for Terry, and was always a net loss .
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 28th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby phil herranen » December 28th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=200819

Wow spearboard still exist!
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 28th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Barely.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 29th, 2020, 11:13 am

Meanwhile, here is some more information on the Sens07 vest.

https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/s ... ost-997768
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Guns & Gear