Hola from La Paz

New to Spearfishing? Your first time here? Read all the FAQ's so you don't get flamed and banned!

Hola from La Paz

Postby BajaSpearo » November 30th, 2017, 7:54 am

Hola :
Amazing place you have here. I had only newthe other forum before and while the post count is 10 greater there. The content is 100 times better here!
BajaSpearo
noob

Re: Hola from La Paz

Postby dam » November 30th, 2017, 9:52 am

Hola senor BajaSpearo. Glad to have you here. I'd love to read about any of your baja dive reports and adventures. We all have a place in our hearts for Baja.
dam
diving god

Postby chris oak » November 30th, 2017, 10:02 am

Do you live in La Paz? I love it there, can't wait to go back when my kid gets older!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby castronova » November 30th, 2017, 10:37 am

I agree, reports from a Baja spearo would be fun to follow. Probably cost me a lot of money too.
castronova
prick

Postby John Hughes » December 19th, 2017, 4:50 pm

welcome aboard. Lots of Baja die hards here. Post up some reports to get us drooling!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby BajaSpearo » January 8th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Hola guys. Travelling for holidays so just got back!

I had 2 guests from NZ that are travelling from canada to central america that stayed here for a week and it was an AMAZING time. It was the end of the wahoo seasson so i was nervous about wether we were still going to get some or skunked.

First day and conditions were perfect to make the 35 miles out to The underwater high spot so we decided to go and were def Not disapointed. FIRST drift. Right after loading spearguns and a single wahoo showed up. I looked at my friend and signaled to have a shot (after all he was a guest so i offered priority) and he is trying to convince me that i should have the frist shot. By the time the politeness wore off the fish was gone but we were both laughing of our gentlemanshipness!

Second drift a school of them is coming from my left. My buddy is on my right so i let the school go by to my special version of cd flasher i had lent my friend and when i saw the las fish going by and didnt hear his gun off i shot it... get to the surface and asked for a second shit but he answers me that he also needs one. I let my fish swim and fight my setup while i get his one bander gun from the boat. Secure his fish and the we went on to secure mine! 2 fish same drift :)

We kept diving and eventually a screw on my (testing a new gun) started to rip the wood so i bring out the polespear. So next drift he gets another one and i dance with three for a couple o minutes waiting for a polespear shot but no luck. So i hel him with his second and we trade so that i use the bw gun next drift and land my scond. We had enough fish and call it a day.

I was so greatfull for being able to be in the water. Meeting new cool people and just having a good time.

Second day we go to a more quiet reef spot and he misses a wahoo but still throws the flasher and by the time i get there the wahoo has returned and i manage an ugly shit. Keep in mind that cause it was a reef place i had my 110 flopper gun on a reel but after a while with his second shot we land it. (Did i mention that as his shaf gets in mine comes of the fish?) so i call it a 50/50 fish and we go to the local sushi place so that they cook it fir dinner for us (he and his partner and my wife + baby). BEST MEAL EVER! So if you come to La Paz take your fresh fish to Odayaka!

Third day out i am doing my best efforts as captain to put them ok wahoos but conditions have deteriorated. Another friend joined us an managed a shot on one but unfurtunately second shot broke line and first shot ripped so no fish in the boat. Still Awesome days of diving to finish last year
Attachments
BajaSpearo
noob

Postby BajaSpearo » January 8th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Yes i live hera and have for the past 8 years.

The “pompons” on the first pic is what i call a reverse flasher. You dive down to 40’ drop em and they slowly very slowly fooat up and the second wahoo i landed was using one of this
BajaSpearo
noob

Postby dam » January 8th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Reverse flashers... :eek: This is going to change the game! I knew Kiwi's were tough but giving with swimming trunks, that's a level of manliness I could never achieve. :'(
dam
diving god

Postby John Hughes » January 13th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Great report, I love it!! I also love the reverse flasher idea, ingenious!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby BajaSpearo » January 13th, 2018, 9:18 pm

First YT of the season!!!!

Made it wed afternoon to my favorite spot with one of my best spearfishing buddies and mentor. I had just received some professional bad news and he was just having a loong office day... week... month...year! So it was a great escape for both. Water was by many standards BAD but to me that means water was JURELERA (jurel= yt. Jurelera=YTIsh) so nost so good vis and a little cood but good viz at the bottom.

We made few dives and found the local congregation of snappers and thought to ourselves: shouldve brought the Gopro! (By the way i will exchange a decent gopro for a couple of trips here to anything ne coming this way) so we kept diving but thos snappers just got more curios the mornwe ignored them. Mu buddy took a shot at one and i decided to continue the lesson on the snappers to not talk to strangers by putting another one on the boat.

I still had high hopes on YT so i didnt shoot any more snappers. My buddy must have been bored so he shot another one and while he was handling it he saw a Wahoo. Yes a wahoo out of season out of place out of line!!! I try to get close but with the bad viz on top coukd have been next to it and not see him. So i kept diving. Then on a nice drop i see a YT coming from the murk (coear bottom murk midwater) so i did my usual flirting and it kind o kind not work so the YT turn my way but kept his distance. I had my new (only a wahoo on it) 145RH on a reel so i knew i would have a bit more range than with my 120. So made the shot!

Nice shot but as i grab the reel to “palm” it i realize my shooting line tangled with the bands. First thing = stop the panick. Second thing assesed that ibwas not so deep anymore. I still had air and it was a good shot. So immediately put the belt reel’s tunaclip on the reel line and started convincing the animal to acompqny me to teh surface.

Mqde it up no drama bled,brained and gutted the fish that i estimated at 12kg and celebrated/thanked for the first of hopefully many Yt on that gun and on this season.

No pics :( but a lot of stoke to share :)
Last edited by BajaSpearo on January 23rd, 2018, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BajaSpearo
noob

Postby BajaSpearo » January 20th, 2018, 11:52 am

Another YT!!!

Went out with a friend and his visiting friend from out of state and we had a looong day in the water. Started the day on a good exposed side of a little island and before getting in the water and after my supersticious ritual (that i wont discuss here) i told the guys what to do and where to go. The both agreed and they both did something else. So i listened to my own advice and in the second drop i had a YT on the boat. :)

After that they listened but sealion showed up and started scaring away the fish so we moved to many other spots. At the end of the day his friend sow and shot on the surface at some but no luck for the rest. They did shot other delicious reef species but only 1 YT this time at little over 20#

End of nigh we went to a local sushi that prepared it nicely and we enjoyed once more the spearfishing experience!
BajaSpearo
noob

Postby dam » January 23rd, 2018, 9:43 am

BajaSpearo wrote:before getting in the water and after my supersticious ritual (that i wont discuss here)

I'm sorry if this is way out of line but does your ritual involve dropping a 5-10ft chum line behind the boat? Because if so, you and I have the same religion. :laughing-rollingred:

i told the guys what to do and where to go. The both agreed and they both did something else.

:bowrofl: I kinda do the same except I give myself advice on where to go and proceed to meander aimlessly the moment I hit the water. :rofl: I'm not sure if it isn't a mental problem...
dam
diving god

Postby chris oak » January 23rd, 2018, 1:24 pm

Get a gopro or a clone I want to see the pix and video!!! I've got the DBpower one, but here's another thats rated high and cheap!
https://www.amazon.com/Campark-Waterpro ... ion+camera

btw what's a reverse flasher?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby BajaSpearo » January 23rd, 2018, 3:33 pm

chris oak wrote:Get a gopro or a clone I want to see the pix and video!!! I've got the DBpower one, but here's another thats rated high and cheap!
https://www.amazon.com/Campark-Waterpro ... ion+camera

btw what's a reverse flasher?

Reverse flasher its a flasher that very slowly floats as opposed to a sinker so i release it at the bottom and coupkenof minutes later its almost surfacing and sometimes with a fish following up.

That camera could be a very good option specially at $50us.
BajaSpearo
noob

Postby BajaSpearo » January 23rd, 2018, 3:35 pm

dam wrote:
BajaSpearo wrote:before getting in the water and after my supersticious ritual (that i wont discuss here)

I'm sorry if this is way out of line but does your ritual involve dropping a 5-10ft chum line behind the boat? Because if so, you and I have the same religion. :laughing-rollingred:

i told the guys what to do and where to go. The both agreed and they both did something else.

:bowrofl: I kinda do the same except I give myself advice on where to go and proceed to meander aimlessly the moment I hit the water. :rofl: I'm not sure if it isn't a mental problem...

It takes one to recognize one... so We both agree that getting yourself in that mental and phisical state is more important than camo or sliptips or almost anything for catching fish. Right Dam?
BajaSpearo
noob

Postby dam » January 24th, 2018, 4:51 pm

BajaSpearo wrote:
dam wrote:

It takes one to recognize one... so We both agree that getting yourself in that mental and phisical state is more important than camo or sliptips or almost anything for catching fish. Right Dam?

Absolutely!
dam
diving god

Postby maxing » February 5th, 2018, 4:12 pm

hola dudes,
im going to be in la paz for the next two months or so. im looking for some tips on shore spots or near to shore. i have a small sail boat and a tandem kayak. i dont have a ton of funds for guided trips and panga rental. any tips would be awesome!!
maxing
noob

Postby BajaSpearo » February 5th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Give me a call 612-108-8352 i am planing a trip 4 tomorrow cause weather is good and yt are in. 612-108-8352
BajaSpearo
noob

Return to Introductions