Newbie Alert

New to Spearfishing? Your first time here? Read all the FAQ's so you don't get flamed and banned!

Newbie Alert

Postby Miguel naa » May 27th, 2019, 10:47 am

Hello Everyone, I’m new on here and fairly new to the sport as well. I have been diving for a little over 2 years now and have finally decided to make an account on here in hopes of learning from the local pros. I started spearfishing because I wanted to land a WSB after a friend showed up to a gathering with one fresh out of the ocean. So far I’ve been through two seasons of not seeing anything but green murky water. Now that I’m going on my third season this year, after countless dives and praying to some kind of all knowing power. I was finally presented with the opportunity to pick out a fish from a school of about 20. Being that I’ve heard from a great number of guys that this year has been slow and bad all around I felt like I had stumbled on a gold mine. With the fish ranging from what I’m estimating to have been 35-45 lbs. So I there I was eyes open as wide as they could possibly be. I aim down slowly making sure not to spook them and pull the trigger as the fish disperse every which way I feel nothing. So I tug on my shooting line and then next thing I know I’m being towed and so I put a death grip on my shooting line. I go all about 10ft through the water before losing the fish. At that moment I contemplated ditching all my gear and taking up bowling like Oak once said. Needless to say I’m now on suicide watch. If any seasoned sea bass guys would like to drop some knowledge below I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Mig
Miguel naa
noob

Re: Newbie Alert

Postby NaClAddict » May 27th, 2019, 12:14 pm

You need a reel or a float line. It takes a rock solid shot to not pull out with WSB. Then you can let the fish run and wrap itself up.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 27th, 2019, 1:57 pm

What he said. Some times with a good shot you can get away with holding the shooting line, but most fish are going to take some reel line or float line before you can slow them down.

Also, did you have a slip tip? you can take some fish with a flopper, but the odds are a lot better with a slip tip.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Miguel naa » May 27th, 2019, 3:02 pm

NaClAddict wrote:You need a reel or a float line. It takes a rock solid shot to not pull out with WSB. Then you can let the fish run and wrap itself up.

I have my gun set up with a reel, would it be best to allow it to free spool or put some tension on it next time ?
Miguel naa
noob

Postby Miguel naa » May 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:What he said. Some times with a good shot you can get away with holding the shooting line, but most fish are going to take some reel line or float line before you can slow them down.

Also, did you have a slip tip? you can take some fish with a flopper, but the odds are a lot better with a slip tip.

While I do know the accuracy of my gun fairly well and initially thought I had hit the shoulder, the shot may have been a bit higher than I initially thought. I am using a slip tip and a reel by the way. I guess next time around I’ll actually utilize both correctly. How much tension would you generally apply to your line?
Miguel naa
noob

Postby dam » May 28th, 2019, 9:10 am

Don't free spool your reel. I think it makes it easier to tangle up. I would put some tension on the reel but the goal is to let it run some distance before applying too much tension. By then, the kelp will help slow them down, turn them, and tie them up. If they run in the open, same procedure, let them run with some tension then start pulling them in slowly. Hard-lining is a big no no with seabass and wahoo. Better luck next time! You'll get them eventually.
dam
diving god

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 28th, 2019, 11:35 am

I may be the exception, but I usually try to hard line my white sea bass in order to make them turn and wrap up before they get to the bottom. Of course that often doesn't work and they get to the bottom anyway, but I put on all the pressure I can without being dragged under water. Or as much pressure as I can and still get to the surface for a breath. Right now I can think of only one time when that resulted in the fish tearing off, and I'm pretty sure that one would have torn off anyway. But maybe this is just selective amnesia.

I use nothing but float lines now, but when I used reels I set the drag just tight enough to keep the gun strung up and grabbed the line with my hand to apply pressure. But you need a relatively thick line, maybe 2.5 mm or 3 mm to do that and a lot of reels used these days don't have the capacity for line that thick without it being too short. The Ulusub reels have a lot of capacity.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby NaClAddict » May 30th, 2019, 10:07 am

Yup, reel with light tension. You can hold the line or palm the spool to slow it down. Generally the idea is as little tension as possible. These fish are so fast they can bolt once the trigger is pulled turning a good shot into a bad one. I think most experienced WSB hunters have landed a fish gently that they could have lost had they tried to horse it in. Spectra slip tip line is much less prone to sawing out than cable.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby Miguel naa » June 4th, 2019, 11:48 am

Thanks for all the advice guys, i really appreciate the help. I’ll keep it in mind if I do manage to get another shot off on a fish before they’re gone.
Miguel naa
noob

Return to Introductions