Hello from San Diego to Monterey CA

New to Spearfishing? Your first time here? Read all the FAQ's so you don't get flamed and banned!

Hello from San Diego to Monterey CA

Postby ren » March 23rd, 2021, 10:02 pm

Just a brief re-introduction. I decided to make a new account with a username that is more fitting.

My name's Ren and I'm from north county SD. I've been dabbling in spearfishing since around 2015, and still a kook. Lately, I haven't had much time to dive due to school so I've been dabbling in building spearguns.
My style can be described as ''overkill'' or reef ''cannons''. My most recent obsession is with CenCal/NorCal cold & murky water hunting, and can't wait to shoot a big ling over 15lbs.

ren
noob

Re: Hello from San Diego to Monterey CA

Postby Bill McIntyre » March 24th, 2021, 8:18 am

Welcome Ren. It's been interesting seeing your gun builds on other forums. I alway notice that your mid handled guns truly mean "mid." Most gun makers seem to place their handles more like 12" from the butt while yours are close to the middle of the gun. I assume that this is for use in murky water. But when I look at the gun in your post, I wonder if my arm would be long enough to keep the butt out of my face.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby ren » March 24th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Bill.
I made two guns like this so far and they can only be fired with the butt of the gun under the armpit, or over the shoulder, which is a very common shot when I'm hole hunting up north in murky water. My usual rule of thumb for mids for shooting fish at the islands is the length from your hand's grip to your bicep when your elbow is locked in an L shape (Thanks Phil).
ren
noob

Postby dam » March 25th, 2021, 2:34 pm

lol that's a reef cannon alright, that thing probably has enough ballast for another 2-3 bands! :bowrofl: I wouldn't mind if you shared some of you gun builds. Mad respect for guys who build their own, AND willingly brave the frigid norcal water. :bow-blue:
dam
prick

Return to Introductions