New from San Diego

New to Spearfishing? Your first time here? Read all the FAQ's so you don't get flamed and banned!

New from San Diego

Postby Forgivenick » September 13th, 2016, 5:55 am

Hi, my name is Nick and I live near UCSD in San Diego.
I am very new to the sport and haven't shot any fish yet, but really enjoy swimming in the ocean, watching the fish, and seeing how close I can get to them. I grew up in San Diego and spent many of my days body surfing, surfing , fishing (from piers, jetties, surf fishing, half day boats, and my surfboard) since I was very young. After spending lots of time with my 7 and 9 year old sons snorkeling in Kauai for a week this summer, I came back to San Diego with disbelief that I hadn't snorkeled here before. We found that the Leopard sharks were at La Jolla Shores and took our snorkeling gear out to see them. We went every chance we could for two weeks. Needless to say, I have realized how much I love swimming in the ocean and seeing what lies beneath. My two sons are a huge encouragement as they are very strong at snorkeling already and starting to dive down to the bottom where it is 6ft deep or so, deeper every dive. I picked up a used 3 piece JBL pole spear and got a slip tip for it, plus a new Omer Alien mask that fits me very well. I am looking for fins now since my body surfing Voit Duck Feet are ok, but not ideal. Thanks for reading my intro and let me know if you have any advice or things you have found helpful when getting started.
Forgivenick
noob

Re: New from San Diego

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 13th, 2016, 9:33 am

Welcome aboard Nick. It sounds like you're off to a good start.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Forgivenick » September 13th, 2016, 9:50 am

Thanks Bill.
Forgivenick
noob

Postby dam » September 13th, 2016, 10:35 am

Welcome, just read around and ask questions when you have them. Have you tried swimming to the caves between the shores and the cove? I thought that was pretty neat. There's big lobsters crawling on the bottom, too. You can't take them, but still cool to see.
dam
sea slayer

Postby Forgivenick » September 13th, 2016, 10:50 am

Thanks dam. I believe it was your video, 'Why I Dive' that I watched last night on YouTube which led me to this forum. That last scene, as I commented last night (username RideAlongside), is literally priceless with you sinking through the tornado of large YT.
Haven't been to the caves yet, but it's on the list. Hoping to check that one off very soon. Thanks for welcoming me.
Forgivenick
noob

Postby Neptonics » September 13th, 2016, 3:23 pm

Welcome to the sport, Nick!

Give yourself a couple of hours and come into our store. Pick our brains all you want and we'll help point you in the right direction for what you need and perhaps what you don't need. Gear can be a little overwhelming at first but if you stick to some tried and true basics you can't go wrong.

Here's the address: https://goo.gl/maps/xnn1yTrgkfJ2

We'll have to warn you though; this sport is addictive. And God help you once you've shot your first white seabass!

:)
https://www.instagram.com/neptonics_worldwide/

Quality you can trust from North America's Biggest Spearfishing Retailer.

Neptonics
spearo

Postby dam » September 13th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Forgivenick wrote:Thanks dam. I believe it was your video, 'Why I Dive' that I watched last night on YouTube which led me to this forum. That last scene, as I commented last night (username RideAlongside), is literally priceless with you sinking through the tornado of large YT.
Haven't been to the caves yet, but it's on the list. Hoping to check that one off very soon. Thanks for welcoming me.

Neat! At least someone likes my videos! :romance-threesome:
dam
sea slayer

Postby Schwaman » September 13th, 2016, 11:33 pm

welcome
Schwaman
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 15th, 2016, 5:53 pm

welcome aboard Nick. How great is it you get to start out with your kids! Awesome. Plenty of good areas to dive down where you're at and lots of great divers. I'd try and get hooked up with some people you can dive with. The sooner you find a little community, the sooner you'll shorten the learning curve. There's also tons of free gear out there so it doesn't cost you half your house payment to get three of you guys suited up and ready to roll.

Be safe and have fun. Feel free to post up your experiences and any questions you may have. There is a ton of experience here on this board that would be willing to help.

And just so you know, we don't really talk to Dam. He's sort of the red headed step child around here and if it wasn't for his great photos and videos we would have booted him out of here a long time ago. Hee hee, I'm kidding (sort of) :D
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Forgivenick » September 15th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Thanks John!
If anyone has used kids gear that they aren't using, let me know!
Forgivenick
noob

Postby chris oak » December 3rd, 2016, 9:14 am

Welcome Nick, sounds like you caught the bug already. There's a couple of great groups your way like the san diego freedivers and the north county divers. The closest big shop by you might be James and Joeseph and online you have a choice of great shops like Neptonics said.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Introductions