Noob from Mar Vista / LA

New to Spearfishing? Your first time here? Read all the FAQ's so you don't get flamed and banned!

Noob from Mar Vista / LA

Postby mostepic » September 30th, 2016, 12:08 pm

I'm brand new to the sport, and eager to 'dive' in. I surf from El Porto to County Line a few days a week. I love the ocean and have always been intrigued by the kelp beds and the possibility of all the fish down there. Mostly, I love to eat. Especially fresh seafood.

Stopped by Neptonics in LB, just-to-look, and ended up buying enough basics to get started (pole spear, fins, goggles/snorkel). Super rad guys btw.

I hope to meet some people in my area to go out with weekends and mornings before work. I have so many questions. I'm aware of the 2 local clubs and looking it to those, as well. Definitely feel like I need to go out a bunch with experienced spearfishers(?) spearfisherman(?)

-I should be getting my sport fishing license with ocean enhancement and lobster card in the mail soon

Thanks
mostepic
noob

Re: Noob from Mar Vista / LA

Postby John Hughes » October 8th, 2016, 1:08 pm

welcome aboard. The clubs are a great way to get your dive circle started and shorten the learning curve out in the water. You'll be eating good in no time!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » December 3rd, 2016, 9:19 am

Welcome aboard, you definitely stopped by a great shop to pick up the essentials. Joining a club is definitely the way to go, but when I started I just did a TON of searching on equipment and asked a lot of questions. Definitely get familiar with all of the marine life as there are many regulations on sizes and numbers and feel free to hit us up via pm's or online on any questions you have.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Neptonics » December 7th, 2016, 3:19 pm

Great to have you come by the store. You're doing all the right things, best to start small and work your way up. Chris runs an excellent forum here with very experienced divers who are generous with their knowledge. Joining a club is also something we'd highly recommend as it will broaden your scope of divers and set up great friendships.

You should also consider taking a freedive course at some point. Safety is an important aspect of our sport that is sometimes overlooked.

Happy hunting!
https://www.instagram.com/neptonics_worldwide/

Quality you can trust from North America's Biggest Spearfishing Retailer.

Neptonics
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 22nd, 2017, 9:04 pm

Welcome to our forum, sounds like you already stopped by and got the basics that will help you grow. Start off on reef fish like perch and calicos and work your way up, if you are doing a polespear it will make you a more efficient hunter. Feel free to ask us any questions and dive safe!
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Introductions