Looking to meet new divers

New to Spearfishing? Your first time here? Read all the FAQ's so you don't get flamed and banned!

Looking to meet new divers

Postby LandonB » April 17th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Hey all! I'm fairly new to spearfishing and have been trying to meet new people and gather as much information as possible. I've grown up with my dad and uncle spearing and about a year ago decided to give it a shot myself. I guess I liked the idea of the hunt and providing for myself. I live in Los Angeles and and would love to meet divers and dive buddies in the community!
LandonB
noob

Re: Looking to meet new divers

Postby John Hughes » April 24th, 2017, 6:27 am

welcome Landon. There's a lot of great divers in the area. One of the best ways to hook up with a majority of them are here on the board or in one of your local dive clubs. You've got a couple good ones in the area including the L.A. Fathomiers and Long Beach Neptunes. Google them and do some research. Stay safe out there as you're learning the ropes!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby LandonB » April 25th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Thanks John! I went down to the the neptunes annual auction and met Josh from Neptonics. It was nice to meet some people and pick a few brains on what I should be doing. It was a nice first step in attending any events. I'm looking forward to meeting and possibly get the opportunity to dive with other people. I'll take all precautions while diving and learning the ropes! Thanks again! -Landon
LandonB
noob

Postby John Hughes » April 25th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Glad you made it to the auction, hopefully you had a good time. Had I known you were going I'd have made an effort to introduce myself. Good group that night, you probably got to see a wide range of the characters in the So Cal dive scene.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 25th, 2017, 8:11 pm

John Hughes wrote:Glad you made it to the auction, hopefully you had a good time. Had I known you were going I'd have made an effort to introduce myself. Good group that night, you probably got to see a wide range of the characters in the So Cal dive scene.

Yep. :)
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby LandonB » April 25th, 2017, 10:04 pm

I'll make sure to say something next time! I had a blast. It was awesome to be in that environment. I wish I had bid on a couple of those dive trips but I walked in a bit late and didn't really know how to go about it. Next year I'll be prepared ha. How would I go about joining neptunes? I'd love to come to the next meeting and get involved a bit more.
LandonB
noob

Postby John Hughes » April 27th, 2017, 5:19 am

LandonB wrote:I'll make sure to say something next time! I had a blast. It was awesome to be in that environment. I wish I had bid on a couple of those dive trips but I walked in a bit late and didn't really know how to go about it. Next year I'll be prepared ha. How would I go about joining neptunes? I'd love to come to the next meeting and get involved a bit more.

All you have to do for any of the clubs is show up at the meetings. All meetings are open for all the clubs. There is usually a guy that handles the tentatives or the guys interested in joining. Ask around and find that guy and he'll get you dialed in. No quicker way to shorten your learning curve and expand your dive circle than joining a club IMO.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby LandonB » May 9th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Thank you John! I've been out of town for work so I wasn't able to make the neptunes meeting last Wednesday but I'll be sure to be there for the June meeting and try to involve myself as much as possible. I'm starting a job in long beach next week that will last through the summer so I'll be sure that I make it to each meeting!

Thanks again
Landon
LandonB
noob

Return to Introductions