Bursitis in Knee

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Bursitis in Knee

Postby BigJim » November 2nd, 2016, 12:18 pm

Woke up Sunday with a sore knee...had dove Saturday and gotten a few little urchin spines in the same knee but nothing out of the ordinary for hole hunting up here in cracks like these...

Figured I had just banged it a little and didn't feel it afterwards cuz of the post-dive beers. ;)

Monday it was even more painful though, and had to use a cane and some liquid courage pain medication to be able to walk around with my girls while they went trick or treating.

Monday night the knee was hot to the touch, red, inflamed and sleep was pretty much impossible. :'(

Tuesday AM I went to the urgent care and doc said I had "Prepatellar Bursitis" and that the cause was either an infection from the urchin spines and/or from banging the knee in just the right spot...

Prescribed me Antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and I spent all day yesterday in bed icing the knee and resting it.

Still hurts today, but a little less...I guess?

Heard from Bill McIntyre that he had similar problems recently, and Paul Young said he had it happen a few years ago and commented on how painful it was...

I made the mistake of texting my buddy Harold to see if he knew anything about it and he responded back in his usual supportive and encouraging way. :mad: :ugh: :rofl:

I'm assuming Harold is full of it and that I will recover soon and be back to diving in a few weeks, but would appreciate hearing from anyone that has been through this and their experience with recovering and diving afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Re: Bursitis in Knee

Postby chris oak » November 3rd, 2016, 8:52 am

Gotta love Fuzz, he's about as compassionate as Dam is!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 3rd, 2016, 10:11 am

I'm not sure if I have the same problem- I didn't get any urchin spines for instance. But I did get a twinge in the knee while doing lunges, and the doc says it was probably the bursa. That happened on October 15 and I had a lot of swelling and a lot of pain for the first week. Just when I was learning to love oxycodone it finally started improving and just three days ago I started cautiously walking on it. I'm going to try diving Friday but I'm hoping that there isn't a lot of current.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby BigJim » November 3rd, 2016, 11:15 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:I'm not sure if I have the same problem- I didn't get any urchin spines for instance. But I did get a twinge in the knee while doing lunges, and the doc says it was probably the bursa. That happened on October 15 and I had a lot of swelling and a lot of pain for the first week. Just when I was learning to love oxycodone it finally started improving and just three days ago I started cautiously walking on it. I'm going to try diving Friday but I'm hoping that there isn't a lot of current.

Please let me know how it goes Bill!

I took one day off work and rested, but besides that haven't been able to take any time off from my regular day to day activities...still hurts like an SOB though!

LOL!!

I guess if after my antibiotics and ant-inflammatories run out (cheap doc didn't even give me any good pain meds!! :madrun: ;) ) I will go back to see if there is anything else that needs to be done...

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby Bamz » November 3rd, 2016, 11:22 am

Could be Gout. My gout was misdiagnosed for 10 years. Hot swollen joints, usually starts in the lower body... it's manageable once you find your food triggers.
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 3rd, 2016, 11:33 am

Bamz wrote:Could be Gout. My gout was misdiagnosed for 10 years. Hot swollen joints, usually starts in the lower body... it's manageable once you find your food triggers.

I've had gout in my toes now and then. Maybe its moving uphill.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bamz » November 3rd, 2016, 11:36 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:
Bamz wrote:Could be Gout. My gout was misdiagnosed for 10 years. Hot swollen joints, usually starts in the lower body... it's manageable once you find your food triggers.

I've had gout in my toes now and then. Maybe its moving uphill.

Mine started in my feet, now it's the elbows that get hit...
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby BigJim » December 7th, 2016, 1:04 pm

After over a month of pain and very limited mobility they did an MRI and turns out I have a "partial tear of the quadriceps in the lateral patellar retinaculum"...

So no more diving this year for me. :'(

No frikkin clue how I did it...seemed like just a regular day of NorCal kayak diving to me....

Ortho doc doesn't think I will need surgery...just a lot of physical therapy which is set to start on Monday.

Sick of being in pain, but guess I better start sacking up and getting used to it...

Fingers crossed come January I can try some mellow diving...

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 7th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Glad you at least have a diagnosis. They considered an MRI on mine, but I have metal in my body that precludes an MRI.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby lrak » January 16th, 2017, 9:52 pm

One remedy that helps with fast healing is contrast baths. Basically put your knee in hot and cold water alternately. It improves blood circulation in the affected area and helps with fast healing.
I hope your knee heals fast.

All the best,

--Karl
lrak
noob

Return to Spearfishing & Freediving