Diving then flying

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Diving then flying

Postby squidhunter » December 30th, 2016, 4:05 pm

If this topic has been covered please post the link, I can't seem to find an answer.

Is it ok to freedive in the morning and then fly in the evening in the same day?

My normal dive times for the spot i'm diving tomorrow are around 1:15-1:45. No more than 35ft. After every dive I wait double the amount before I make my next drop. My flight tomorrow is around 50mins long.

Been chasin a damn fish around and I really need to squeeze in another dive before my flight tomorrow.

Am I in the clear, or will I get bent?

Thank you,
Austin
squidhunter
spearo

Re: Diving then flying

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 30th, 2016, 9:21 pm

I can't quote you any science but I wouldn't worry about it. With those depths and bottom times you aren't going to get much nitrogen saturation and the cabin altitudes in commercial jets aren't very high.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby squidhunter » December 31st, 2016, 7:18 am

Thank you Bill.
squidhunter
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » December 31st, 2016, 10:37 am

I have similar bottom times and breath hold. I've dove for hours, gone straight to the airport, and flown to New Zealand. No problems. SCUBA recommendations are to wait 24 hrs. Freedivers aren't breathing compressed air for extended periods and don't see the gas saturation that scuba divers do. You'll most likely be fine. The only times I've ever heard of freedivers experiencing scuba type dive related issues is with competition divers. These divers were diving very deep using extra weights to pull themselves down. Their ascents and descents were very rapid unlike anything most freedivers do. They did this while scouting for extremely long periods of time.

I only say "most likely" because everyone is different, so there is always that one in a million possibility. If you have a dive type accident with regular freediving hunting type activity buy a lottery ticket.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 31st, 2016, 10:43 am

I hope I'm not leading you astray, but I would follow my own advice without a concern.

I shouldn't pass up a chance to end the year with a sea story. This should make you feel safe and/or make you sure that I'm dumb.

In 1967 I flew an RF-4B from SoCal to Vietnam, with one night stops in Hawaii, Wake, Guam, and the Philippines. On each island I managed to get in a scuba dive in the afternoon, a couple as deep as 100 feet, and then launched early the next morning. When the F-4 is cruising up in the 30,000 feet plus range, the cabin altitude is around 17,000 to 18,000 feet, more than twice as high as in commercial airliners. Of course that means that the pilot has to wear an oxygen mask, but most of us just let the mask dangle from one side of our helmets so that we could talk on the radio until we were about to take off, and then we would fasten the other side and breath pure oxygen. Since I was in technical violation of regulations concerning flying after diving, I was putting on the mask as soon as I got in the cockpit. I suppose it was usually about 20 minutes from start to takeoff. Since the partial pressure of nitrogen in the gas I was breathing was zero, this accelerated the off-gassing of nitrogen in my tissue, reducing the chance of bends. What I'm not sure about is how much the breathing of oxygen helped, and of course you won't are able to breath oxygen anyway. But since my situation was more extreme than your's, going from scuba dives to 18,000 feet the next morning, I doubt that oxygen totally offset it.

This probably didn't help a bit, but at least I got to tell a New Years Eve sea story from back when my life was exciting. :)
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » January 1st, 2017, 6:04 am

that's a great story Bill, thanks for sharing it you madman!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby squidhunter » January 3rd, 2017, 11:21 am

Loved the story Bill, thank you.
squidhunter
spearo

Postby Kirby » January 3rd, 2017, 12:09 pm

Great story, Bill!
Kirby
spearo