Which short Kayaks are suitble for spearfishing?

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Which short Kayaks are suitble for spearfishing?

Postby Schwaman » December 31st, 2016, 10:38 am

Hey
I am looking to get a Kayak to dive Ventura and around. As I am pretty new to Kayaks, I am looking for advice.
I need to fit the Kayak in my van, so I am limited to 12' maybe 13' top.
Any recommendations?
thanks a lot
Schwaman
spearo

Re: Which short Kayaks are suitble for spearfishing?

Postby chris oak » December 31st, 2016, 3:35 pm

I think it depends largely on how much you weigh and how far you want to kayak and what kind of payload you are looking for. The goto swearby kayak is the scupper classic or scupper tankwell. It comes in at 14' though. I just got the malibu mini x which is 9'6" but you can't really store spearguns inside it nor any fish, the fish will have to be secured on the top of the kayak. It is short and fat, very much like a small cobra fish and dive, I don't expect to break any speed records but I'm just going to use it to paddle short distances. I would pose this same question on the norcal kayak anglers site as they do a lot of diving from their yaks as well.

Whatever you do stick with a well known brand like malibu, ocean kayak, cobra, etc. I saw how cheap a lot of the costco and copycat brands were and then read horrible reviews about how the yak would take in water.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby hydroid » December 31st, 2016, 4:20 pm

Look in craigslist for a used "Ocean Kayak" Scupper Pro. I've been seeing some deals on nice one sitting in the garage.
hydroid
noob

Postby breezy » January 1st, 2017, 2:25 am

been kayak fishing for 16 years and diving for the last 2, my fav is the hobie revolution think its 14 or 16 dont recall, not cheap but this thing rocks. I was never a fan of ocean kayaks, they ride too low and i hated how they tracked. If you can find one the Cobra Explorer would probly be perfect for you, tracks well, you can get some good speed, really stable platform, think its 32" wide. Plenty of room for all your gear and they are a pretty old yak so there gotta be some laying around for silly cheap.
breezy
noob

Postby Schwaman » January 1st, 2017, 9:57 am

chris oak wrote:I think it depends largely on how much you weigh and how far you want to kayak and what kind of payload you are looking for. The goto swearby kayak is the scupper classic or scupper tankwell. It comes in at 14' though. I just got the malibu mini x which is 9'6" but you can't really store spearguns inside it nor any fish, the fish will have to be secured on the top of the kayak. It is short and fat, very much like a small cobra fish and dive, I don't expect to break any speed records but I'm just going to use it to paddle short distances. I would pose this same question on the norcal kayak anglers site as they do a lot of diving from their yaks as well.

Whatever you do stick with a well known brand like malibu, ocean kayak, cobra, etc. I saw how cheap a lot of the costco and copycat brands were and then read horrible reviews about how the yak would take in water.

I saw your shorty, looks cute. I am 170lbs and plan on paddling only as far as from shore to the big fish ;) and then put one in the yak :D
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Schwaman » January 1st, 2017, 10:02 am

Schwaman wrote:
chris oak wrote:I think it depends largely on how much you weigh and how far you want to kayak and what kind of payload you are looking for. The goto swearby kayak is the scupper classic or scupper tankwell. It comes in at 14' though. I just got the malibu mini x which is 9'6" but you can't really store spearguns inside it nor any fish, the fish will have to be secured on the top of the kayak. It is short and fat, very much like a small cobra fish and dive, I don't expect to break any speed records but I'm just going to use it to paddle short distances. I would pose this same question on the norcal kayak anglers site as they do a lot of diving from their yaks as well.

I saw your shorty, looks cute. I am 170lbs and plan on paddling only as far as from shore to the big fish ;) and then put one in the yak :D

What about the following ones:
Ocean kayaks
OK Trident 11/13
OK tetra 12
OK caper 11

Malibu
X-caliber
X-13
Stealth 12

Wilderness S
Tarpon 12
Schwaman
spearo

Postby hydroid » January 1st, 2017, 6:37 pm

Most of those you list look very friendly. I was lucky enough to have been given my Scupper Pro. Here's a link that shows some kayak setups, hope this helps.
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=75382
hydroid
noob

Postby dariian » January 2nd, 2017, 5:37 pm

I used a Tarpon 13ft for a couple years and it was great. I strapped it to my roof without a rack and it was easy to deal with alone.
dariian
spearo

Postby hydroid » January 10th, 2017, 9:23 pm

hydroid
noob

Postby Rob102 » January 10th, 2017, 9:42 pm

The longer they are the better they track and the faster they go. The narrow kayaks are faster. Don't be persuaded into buying a wider stable kayak. You get used to whatever you paddle so stability is a marketing ploy for novices and hook and like anglers.

Personally I wouldn't go shorter that 13'.

Scupper pro with tank well or RTM Tempo are the same hull and are great kayaks weighing in at 57lbs, and the ocean kayak prowler is great too. These would be my first choice. I would take a ten year old scupper pro tankwell over a brand new trident or tarpon.

Ocean kayak discontinued those boats and went to the tridents. They are good but heavier.

The older tarpon 16 is a good fast boat although it's kinda heavy.

Malibu kayaks take on water in rough conditions. They are more of a lake kayak regardless of what they might advertise.

Hobies are cool because you can pedal them but they are heavy and expensive.

Wilderness is making nice boats but they are heavy.
Rob102
spearo

Postby hydroid » January 11th, 2017, 5:43 am

+1 what Rob said, I've only been doing this for about a year now and don't have a lot of experience on other yaks, but I've found the Scupper Pro to be fast, stable and tracks well for me. The low center of gravity works well for me in rough seas as you are almost sitting below the water surface, plus my back never hurts even without the back support systems most other folks use. I've been in some sloppy stuff and she is very nimble in rough seas. I don't care for the short, round bottom yaks, as they don't track well at all and seem to change direction with each paddle stroke. Not to mention all the below deck storage on the Scupper Pro.
hydroid
noob

Postby Schwaman » January 11th, 2017, 7:33 am

Great advice guys and a great find on that scupper, thanks a lot.
Oh man, so I need to get roofracks and go through the pain of loading each time?! Plus my van wont fit into the garage any more?!
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Rob102 » January 11th, 2017, 10:15 am

Loading the kayak by myself is a big reason why I am so concerned with the weight of the kayak. Obviously the lighter it is the easier it is to paddle, but dragging it up and down the beach and loading it on top of a truck alone, hanging it for storage and even leaving it on the beach wheels for a day (the kayak will bend or smash in the bottom of the hull) is much easier with a 57 lb kayak than with a 90 lb kayak. And the fact that these things last a long time and I find that I'm suddenly almost 50 years old and my back doesn't like handling awkward weight. If you plan on getting a kayak, get one that is easy to handle for the older guy you will be.
Rob102
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 11th, 2017, 1:13 pm

A lot of the roof racks nowadays come on and off fairly easily, my Thules are low profile and pretty easy to remove. You can get those foam blocks but man I'd be worried using those, one time I saw a guy fetching his kayak in the dark on the freeway and it was in the number 3 lane. Like Rob said though, it's a toss up with weight of kayak and speed. The scupper classic/pro is a solid choice as it isn't that heavy but it is longer than you were asking for. When I used to store my kayaks they were either suspended in the garage or on a rack.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Schwaman » January 11th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Schwaman
spearo

Postby Rob102 » January 11th, 2017, 4:55 pm

It's 12'7", 56lbs, 32" wide and has a capacity of 500lbs and is ready for a rudder kit.

The tankwell is a little small but you can put fish in the hatch. The price seems a little high but not bad.

It looks like a good little yak.
Rob102
spearo

Postby Schwaman » January 21st, 2017, 10:23 pm

Ended up with a used scupper pro.
300 bucks for the boat paddle, seat and drybag, really happy with that deal!
It does not fit into the van by about a foot but at least the inside of the car is gonna stay dry now.
Thanks for all the tips guys
Attachments
Schwaman
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 21st, 2017, 10:34 pm

That's the goto spearo kayak. It came with a front hatch though right? I'm still waiting for the weather/vis to stabilize but my yak is ready to go.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Rob102 » January 22nd, 2017, 1:18 am

Great kayak and a great price.
Rob102
spearo

Postby Schwaman » January 22nd, 2017, 10:17 am

Yessir, came with the front hatch.
Since the weather was so bad, at least that gave me some time for DIY projects.
Kayak cart
Attachments
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Schwaman » January 22nd, 2017, 10:18 am

And my kayak-storage/ workbench
Attachments
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Schwaman » January 22nd, 2017, 10:22 am

And now on to this:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6250&p=68642&hilit=Kayak#p68642

Btw, is it required to wear a pfd? Feels kind of silly when going diving...
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Rob102 » January 22nd, 2017, 12:57 pm

I've never been checked by coast guard while diving off the kayak... so I don't take one. It would take up valuable storage space that you need for fish, guns, and gear. I have been approached once while diving way out off of Lone Cypress on a big surf day. The CG just circled a couple times. I gave them a wave and went about my business and they steamed on. I suppose it's a safety issue that they don't approach too close while you are in the water, so if you think you're going to get checked, jump in and start fishing.

However, it is a vessel and as such there are some requirements for legal operating, including a PFD. That said, I would only carry a PFD if I were HnL fishing. Worst case scenario, the coasties could turn you around and not let you out until you had one.
Rob102
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 23rd, 2017, 9:57 am

That's an awesome garage set up!! Watch out on the scupper hole carts, I've heard stories about them tearing up the scuppers when you are using it. If your kayak cart gets stuck in the sand start looking for kids big wheels :). I just scored a powerwheels one and used all 4 tires, I should skate over the sand easily.

Yah I think you are supposed to have a PFD, when I used to fish I would just lash it to my hatches or milk crate. But it depends on how thorough they are too, sometimes when they board our work boat they are quick and sometimes they are really thorough.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Schwaman » January 23rd, 2017, 10:03 pm

i love my all-american garage too :-)
If it ever stops raining, I might actually try the cart and kayak, geez it's like in Switzerland or Ireland here ;-)
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Schwaman » January 25th, 2017, 10:40 am

do you use a kelp clip or anchor or both?
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Rob102 » January 25th, 2017, 4:30 pm

I use a kelp clip whenever possible, but when I can't find kelp I use an anchor. Refer bulk to these pics to see how I set it up:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6250&p=68642&hilit=Kayak#p68642

Keep in mind that if you are halibut hunting and anchor on sand you will need a heavier anchor, especially in current, but on rocky reef a small anchor is fine.
Rob102
spearo

Postby Trace » June 12th, 2017, 8:31 pm

I like the bench/Kayak setup. Great Fish Print!
Trace
kook

Postby Schwaman » June 12th, 2017, 9:19 pm

thanks, has proven itself very practical
Schwaman
spearo

Return to Spearfishing & Freediving