Dive drugs

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Dive drugs

Postby Zpearo » April 28th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Anyone have advice on what particular drugs are good for freediving? Uppers? Downers? Poppers? Zippers? Zoppers?

I'm basically interested in sinus medication, decongestants, allergy medicines, and also interested in the various seasickness drugs.
I have some allergies that I often take Claritin for, and to my understanding, that is fine for diving. After long days of diving, my sinuses also often get clogged so a general decongestant would be nice. And while I don't usually have problems with seasickness, I just got a kayak, so I foresee some of that in the future. Any advice on what's good or bad is great.
Zpearo
spearo

Re: Dive drugs

Postby phil herranen » April 28th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Mucinex
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Magno » April 28th, 2017, 8:32 pm

For seasickness, I swear by Kwells. It's not "available" in the US, but if you Google it, you'll find that you can get it shipped here. It takes care of any motion sickness without the side effect of feeling like you've been shot with an elephant tranquilizer, which Dramamine and Bonine tend to do to me. I order it by the case to save on shipping costs and then store it in the fridge.
I've never used it, but my line diving buddies say that Afrin is good for the sinuses, though overuse can lead to needing it more frequently.
Magno
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 29th, 2017, 5:40 am

Mucinex D. You have to go up to the pharmacist counter to get it since it has an ingredient used to make meth.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Behslayer » April 29th, 2017, 7:03 am

Magnesium is good for the Leg Cramps. But don't overdo it....
Behslayer
kook

Postby Steve G » April 29th, 2017, 9:46 am

For seasickness what you take is less important than when you take it.

If I'm diving in the morning I take the pill (1/2 Bonine for me) before I go to bed. If I'm diving the evening after work I take it at lunch. Either way, take it 4 or more hours before your activity and you will be fine.
Steve G
kook

Postby kavachi » April 29th, 2017, 3:50 pm

I find third-gen antihistamines such as fexofenadine effective, they reduce sinus congestion and smooth middle ear reaction to motion, without the drowsiness of Claratyn etc, or the speed of pseudoephedrine [very effective decongestant but also increases heart rate in most people - ok for scuba but can be like trying to freedive after a couple of espressos] as found in Mucinex 'D', Sudafed etc
kavachi
polespearo

Postby kavachi » April 29th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Behslayer wrote:Magnesium is good for the Leg Cramps. But don't overdo it....

+1

electrolyte drinks help me a lot on those really long sessions with lots of finning into current upwellings. A gulp every hour so when putting fish in the boat. keeps me going all day diving in 30C water, or until blisters stop proceedings
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Zpearo » April 30th, 2017, 8:42 pm

kavachi wrote:
Behslayer wrote:Magnesium is good for the Leg Cramps. But don't overdo it....

+1

electrolyte drinks help me a lot on those really long sessions with lots of finning into current upwellings. A gulp every hour so when putting fish in the boat. keeps me going all day diving in 30C water, or until blisters stop proceedings

What kind of electrolyte drinks do you get? I just found that Gatorade doesn't have any magnesium.
Zpearo
spearo

Postby kavachi » April 30th, 2017, 9:21 pm

been using Staminade, its Australian. not sure what the US equivalent is?
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Zpearo » April 30th, 2017, 10:32 pm

kavachi wrote:been using Staminade, its Australian. not sure what the US equivalent is?

Just did some research and ended up buying some SaltStick caps (http://saltstick.com/). These are a capsule that I'll have to swallow with water, and I will compare them to Hammer Endurolytes Fizz (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... ytes-fizz/) which you can dissolve in water. Thanks for pointing out the magnesium issue, which I hadn't realized was a problem with gatorade.
Zpearo
spearo

Postby scorpaenichthys » May 1st, 2017, 9:17 am

kavachi wrote:I find third-gen antihistamines such as fexofenadine effective, they reduce sinus congestion and smooth middle ear reaction to motion, without the drowsiness of Claratyn etc, or the speed of pseudoephedrine [very effective decongestant but also increases heart rate in most people - ok for scuba but can be like trying to freedive after a couple of espressos] as found in Mucinex 'D', Sudafed etc

Ditto on the fexofenadine (Allegra in the US). I'm one of those people with more or less non-stop allergies, and it's not uncommon for me to get sinus infections 3-4 times a year. This stuff tends to keep everything at bay without interfering with my diving. The only downside I've experienced is that if you have really, really bad allergies any given day, everything stays a little runny instead of bricking up, and any water that gets into your nose tends to act like one of those sinus washes and flushes everything down the back of your throat...yum. The upside is that once that's over, you have squeaky clean sinuses and you probably won't need to break for lunch.
scorpaenichthys
polespearo

Postby rhyne » May 1st, 2017, 9:53 am

I used to battle seasickness pretty bad. tried all of the over the counter options until eventually finding someone on this site who recommended Scopace (scopolamine). it's a prescription and is what's used in the patch. although, the patches are 3-day doses and cost about $7ea. most of the time we're doing single day trips and the pill version is about $1ea. soooo, do the math. problem is that the manufacturer stopped making the pill version. so now I go to a compounding pharmacy and have the pill version made. it's a Pain in the ass, but worth the effort.
rhyne
spearo

Return to Spearfishing & Freediving